Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭rn

I had a husqvarna steel deck 53cm mower with Honda engine. It was an excellent mower, but I had bad luck with the deck and it rusted out in 8 years despite being kept clean. Deezel gives great advice to paint the deck underside with anti rust paint and I'd heed that advice. When I sold on the husqi, the engine and gear box and all other parts were perfect and it still had a buyer with deck gone.

I bought a mcculloch 51cm mower on end of season discount. Again a good mower very happy with it. Honda easy start engine and it's brilliant. Deck has stated rusting on it... But I will say there's a surprising noticeable difference between a 51 and 53cm mower for cutting time. So my advice for bigger garden is get a 53cm mower.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭deezell

I assume the half acre includes house and driveway. If that's the case you won't need a huge ride on machine. The smaller rear engine ride ons with a single blade are best suited, as these compacts will leave less missed bits that require tidying up with the hand mower. Single blade also means less to go wrong on the deck. My only reservation is that the power overhead for mower and driver is significant relative to the cutting power, so you'll use a bit more fuel than a large hand mower. I'd worry also about wheel marks especially if a large person, 100kg+ is sitting on top, though with the under seat engine, the bulk of the weight is on the rear wheels post mowing. Here's a starting point. https://mower.ie/product/mountfield-827m-ride-on-lawnmower-9hp-26

Or the larger version

https://mower.ie/product/mountfield-1328h-ride-on-lawnmower-13hp-28

At only 5 or 7 inches wider cut than a large walk behind, it may not be significantly faster to mow than a good 53cm self drive, as you might spend more time reversing and maneuvering the ride on, or cutting half less than full width. This little Alko is probably the smallest out there, almost €2k exactly,

https://www.dwtoolshop.com/ie/al-ko-r7-65-hd

but with only 25" cut I'd be inclined to invest that in a high end walk behind of maximum width,

Not a bad mower if you can get it for a bit less, like here for €505. I was poking at these as it happens while in my local hardware store. They are robust, particularly the handles are of a sturdy design, wheels nice and firm. The 53cm with the composite deck is my favourite, but would be in the €700 bracket

https://hanleysashford.ie/product/husqvarna-lc-151s/

I'd be happy enough with the engine, I think they use Kawasaki, or a made to specification unit. There's decent competition in the 20"/51cm bracket. This Mountfield has a Honda GCV engine in a generic deck for €469.

Or in a similar generic deck with a generic engine, this Webb 51cm for €379 in the coop superstores,

Or what seems the same machine in red for only €330 online from Oxendales! (I thought they just sold ladies clothes).

Recognised brand names with brand engines, Stiga, Snapper,Toro, Honda, can cost multiples of this, though some (like Webb above), will brand generics and compete in that segment. This 53cm/21" Harry from a proper dealers is only €419, so not surprised they're sold out.

You pays your money and you makes your choice. If you're going to be mowing tracks through long grass, pay attention to max cut height. Most are 75cm, you might want something that can go a bit higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭coillsaille

" RE chain hoist to RSJ. Took a good look at my mower above and with a spreader bar and a couple of chains you could definitely lift the mower up on the front axle. If you set the spreader bar about a foot wider than the axle you wouldn't crush any of the plastic. Still not an idea I'm that taken with."

Yes, I've thought about the drawbacks you've pointed out and you have put me off the idea of using the hoist to access the underneath of the ride-on. Even if I did get a spreader bar to lift the front axle I would be accessing the cutting deck from the front between the wheels which just seems awkward the more I think about it. Looking at the photo you posted of the hydraulic jack, being able to get at the blades, etc from the side seems more practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

@deezell great stuff and thanks for the detailed response. I actually was at the Coop at the weekend and saw those Webb mowers and they were a great price but I wasn't sure about the quality. The Mountfield with the Honda engine seems the best value so I might have a look at it, having the Honda engine might sway it for me and having a Screwfix near enough to me helps as well.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Advertisement

I'm a fan of screwfix. Online prices, click and collect, bricks and mortar store for warranty and returns. The mower is in stock in some stores around the country, Dublin, Newbridge, Cork, Limerick etc, so you should be able to get one to collect. Concerning warranty, this is in their Q&A page;

Hello, Thank you for your question, I can confirm that this model does come with a 3 year warranty, subject to a service before the end of the 2nd year. We will ensure the website is updated, sorry for any confusion this may have caused.

3 years is great, two plus one if you get it serviced. Q&A also states it's self drive speed is 3.7km/h, nice and brisk.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Skill

thanks a million for taking the time to give such detailed advice - much appreciated!

I actually didn't think of the option of getting a wider-cut walk-behind mower. I'll look into that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭rn

If there's a b&q near you, you can go see the demo model mower on display. Then purchase in either b&q or screw fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I can remember when Webb were a big name in quality cylinder mowers. Some 25 years back they got some connection with Mountfield as some Mountfield machines were rebranded Webb, then the Webb brand seemed to drop off the radar for a good few years.

Anyway found this on the online which explains who they are now and also gives a good (salesman orientated) run down of the various machines and features.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

are diesel ride on's good as in reliable?

is this good value...

• Advertisement

That looks good and seemed a decent price but then I saw the hour meter. Thats high so probably commercial use which may have included loading and unloading off a trailer which all add to the wear and tear.

Engine should however be fine. I've seen thousands of hours on the little 3 cylinder engines.

Edit the comment about the engine "suits John Deere Gators, mini digger" suggests to me the mower part may be beyond continued economic repair.

Post edited by The Continental Op on

There's a small number of whopping 56cm deck mowers, mostly economy brands such as Gardencare, Victor, and the Cobra M56spb (not sure who deals cobra here, Brodericks in Kilpedder have dropped them I think)

These comes with B&S engines, 675 or 625, and there's also an alloy deck model under the Proplus brand, same engine. Here's some suppliers. Bang for your buck.

https://www.linwood.ie/landscaping-and-garden/proplus-56cm-sp-lawnmower-bs https://www.motoworld.ie/product/pro-plus-aluminium/

I was looking at a few of these last week while in the Proplus distributors McLouglins in Finglas getting chainsaw parts, huge looking machine.

yes, the lever is still intact and i can hear the microswitch as i move it -- is there a mini alarm that emits the beep? if so where is it situated?

It would be under the dash, usually on the control board. What model/year is it.

The diagram given doesn't show cable colours, but you could trace from the back of switch 23 to the board 1 and check if the switch contacts are closing using a multimeter, at the switch and up at the board. The buzzer is a board component, not available as a numbered part but simple to obtain once you identify it on the board, and check if its receiving a voltage when all the other parameters are set (blades engaged, bag on, full lever depressed.) Alternatively you can probe in 12v to the high side of the buzzer and see if it operates. It may have permanent 12v on one side, and work by grounding from the board.

This is the board for 2002 TC102, part no. 25722413/0. You can see the buzzer in middle, large round thing.

This would work as a replacement IF its faulty, but it could be cables, connectors, or a break in the board.

https://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/electronic-sounders/1882210

Don't most of those bag full indicators also have a light on the dash? I can't hear the buzzer on mine with ear defenders on.

If neither light nor buzzer is coming on I wouldn't suspect the buzzer itself.

There may be an icon if your mower has a gui, tbh I've never noticed if mine has as I wouldn't be looking at the dash, it's probably there alright but I've no trouble hearing the buzzer. Your right though, if both are not indicating then its cables, connectors or board.

I've never worn earmuffs, the Viking twin is very quiet, as was my CG twin. Neighbours single cylinder would wake the dead though.

• Advertisement

I wear ear defenders so I can listen to audiobooks on earphones. They aren't that necessary on a Honda 2417.

Just off now to do some wood chipping - you really do need ear defenders for that.

its handy to have the beeper, otherwise you'd forget yourself and have clumps of grass left behind or worse still the chute blocked up😐️

Hi

Pulled the trigger on the Mountfield SP53H from Screwfix and it seems to be a good solid basic petrol lawn mower. It feels well built even though it would be light on fancy features but it does the job perfectly.

Anyway it said that it doesn't come with oil but when I pulled out the dip stick there was some oil on it. The manual doesnt say how many ml of oil it should take so I had to look up the engine on-the-line and it says 400ml. Also the manual doesn't say where to fill up to on the dip stick. I put in 200ml into in and this is what the dipstick is showing. Have I enough oil in the machine?? I am confused with this dipstick...do I fill to the top of the wavy line of the circular bump. Tried to find it online and cant seem to find it anywhere.

Thanks

IMO thats the right level for full, however I remove the dipstick then redip it without screwing it back in which will give a lower reading meaning you put in more oil. Thats my way others may differ but in 40 years of grass cutting 20 commercially thats the way I've always done it.

Mower should have been completely dry - transport regulation. Was the box opened?

First, did you wipe the dipstick and reinsert before filling. My opinion is the the 'some oil' you seen was no more than the small amounts used during engine assembly to coat bearing and sliding surfaces. A wipe and redip would likely show no oil mark. I'd contend that the mower was empty, and your addition of 200ml is half recommended amount, which is showing exactly on the divide between hashed and smooth surface of the stick, and any level below the highest hash area is deemed too low. If you add the remaining 200 ml, I'd expect it to go up to the top of the flat area below the big circular plastic moulding on the stick, which is probably there to keep the stick guided in the tube, and wipe any oil from the tube to prevent it collecting on the stick as you withdraw it and give a false reading. If you're in any doubt, drain the mower completely, then measure what comes out, add enough to make 400ml and pour it back in.

Here's the manual for GCV 145/170/200.

@Continental op is spot on. The top of the hash area is the full mark, IF you dip it without screwing the cap down. Otherwise it will read over. If you only added 200ml, but dipped with the cap screwed down then it appears to be at the top. Here's what the honda manual says.

Oil Level Check

See Figure 9, page A-3.

1. Remove the oil filler cap/dipstick and wipe it clean.

2. Insert the dipstick into the oil filler neck, but do not screw it in.

3. If the level is low, add the recommended oil to the upper limit on the dipstick.

4. Install the oil filler cap/dipstick.

So clean, dip without tightening cap and top up until it covers all the hash mark. Elsewhere in the honda manuals it also states that engines are filled then drained before shipping, so there will be residual oil.

Cool thanks for attaching the manual as that wasn't included within the box and would have been handy...

Anyway I put in the 400ml of oil and like ye guys said I didn't screw in the dipstick cap, which I was doing before and was showing that I was already at the limit when I had 200ml in there.

Just rechecked it and I think I'm all good the oil level is just at the top of the high level mark as you can see below. It doesn't help the oil is so light and new....I'm used to black dirty oil in diesel engines 😏

Thanks again

It can be surprisingly hard to see clean oil on some dipsticks. Almost better to look at the side view (thin side of the dipstick) and look at the thickness of the oil sticking to the dipstick.

why oh why can't manufacturers make it clear on dipstick readings, a min & max should be stamped on all dipsticks and also make it clear whether its dip and screw down or just dip 😐️

• Advertisement

.....a min & max should be stamped on all dipsticks and also make it clear whether its dip and screw down or just dip

Thats what she's been saying for years...

Advertisement