Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inflation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

50% Tax free on 5 year State Savings Certs for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I vaguely remember those rates being advertised. So that would be bit more than 8% annual. 5 years is grand for a person coming up to retirement but might not suit everyone.

But did deposit rates beat inflation when it was high? I don't mean spikes - I mean the years when "normal" was a higher level. Before we got cheap Euro money.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Housefree

Brexit impacted on the supply of cars imported from the UK as well

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Some adult incontinence products (that weren't cheap in the first place) have increased by over 30% in the last month in Tesco. As this is AH I expect jokes but this really is no joke for elderly and disabled people who need them Also, it affects everyone if the HSE is having to pay out more public money for similar products.

An inflationary spiral is a bad, bad thing for many. The more complex your family situation (e.g. single parents of young kids), the worse it is.

For those with savings, I expect token interest rate rises that won't come close to matching inflation.

What can people do? Adopt an anti consumerist mentality. Adjust lifestyle as much as possible. No more skysports, Apple products, breakfast cereals (Kelloggs muck) alcohol. There is no need to be showering every day, that is sheeple thinking. Also If you eat a good diet you'll rarely need toilet paper - I haven't wiped my arse for over a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭donaghs

Nowhere in my post did I say that lockdowns had anything to do with quantitative easing?

"And Biden's spending plans (and previous administrations quantitative easing) must have had no impact on inflation either. Its a "worldwide" issue."

I can reiterate: Biden increased lockdown/pandemic spending. Previous administrations had quantitative easing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

It was no spike and that was an example. Yes they beat inflation. But you're determined it was otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I got rid of Sky tv (was moving house anyhow) and far less or none spending on new clothes (have tons anyhow). I shower a lot at the gym which is a money saver.

Strange conclusion Jim. I only asked you a genuine question. I was not around when there was high inflation in the likes of the 80's. I get the impression that it was fairly consistently high which is why I asked about those time periods rather than maybe an abnormal "spike" (When the Euro came in, prices jumped because of that so I was not referring to those). We've also had a spike in the last year. It remains to be seen how long it persists, even though it looks likely to

The original post blamed lockdowns for inflation. You jumped in in defence of that post - and also linked in quantitative easing.

You can clarify if you want if you disagree that "lockdowns" caused inflation.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Um, a few minor issues. This is current affairs (or the upper class AH as some call it). Using "sheeple" in any context will give off Gemma conspiracy theorist vibes. Also if you have, in fact, not wiped your arse in over a year that is indeed AH material and they will want to hear more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

My dinner was free yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Nermal

The latter was used to pay for the former.

So although they are separate, yes lockdowns absolutely caused the inflation we're seeing now.

So you believe that if there were no lockdowns, there would have been no inflation? Or less inflation?

It would be a fairly revolutionary thesis to be fair. Lockdowns reduced consumer demand an awful lot. You'd be proposing that decrease in demand increased prices.

Shipping costs increased alright, but that was due to China and not any Western policies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Dont buy toothpaste either.

Gingivitis is all the rage now I hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Yes but on this occasion lockdown did mean QE.

It's the same thing with the cheering on of the Ukraine Russia skirmish, the happy clappy seals that migrated from cheering on lockdowns don't seem to realise or else don't care that this will add further fuel to inflation.

Sometimes the last few years I have felt that QE is the solution looking for a problem and the longer I see COVID and now Ukraine being blamed for needing more QE, the more I think that the central banks are looking for any excuse to latch on their QE wagon. It feels like, after Ukraine and Russia, there'll be a new problem that justifies QE.

One, I suppose, benefit from the persistently high inflation will probably be felt by existing tenancy renters; for the first time in years, there will be some respite for those already in a tenancy because the rent increase, if it does rise, will be way off the real inflation rate so seeing your rent only go up 2% could be a nice boost as your salary increases 10% to match I flatiron. Additionally, seeing homeowners pay higher mortgages in the amount of a few hundred per month might make renting look a bit more attractive than it has looked, for a change.

So would it be your position that if Ireland had had no lockdowns, that inflation would not be an issue now?

If no lockdown, most businesses would have been closed anyway. Health services would not have been able to cope. The manpower directed to vaccine rollouts would have been needed in emergency wards. Workplaces would have still had to deal with massive outbreaks. People wouldn't have been going out to the likes of pubs anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

Tesco loo rolls went to €4, but they have a new "more luxury" version at €5. Both look similar.

Milk - farmers are getting 44c/litre - it was 32/33c for a long time. Fertiliser and feed has gone through the roof

• Registered Users Posts: 82,415 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes it's more the cartell practice that they are all selling for exactly €1.69 when marketing and distribution costs would all be different.

One of the biggest causes of inflation has been the strength of the US dollar.

It weakened to $1.22/€ last year which alleviated some of the raw material and transport increases of 2019 & 2020.

No in 2022 the dollar is at $1.05, fuel has skyrocketed especially gas which is used for many manufacturing processed, transport has skyrocketed too.

So add the dollar strength, higher raw material costs, higher manufacturing costs, higher transport costs and you have some sectors that will have 25%-40% price increases (Paper, card and wood in particular). Overall it will be 7% -10% for a while yet and there's very little anyone can do about it as its worldwide.

or price matching. Margins on milk are miniscule. Its a key "attention" product. Most stores will match each other.

95p (€1.14) for a 1.13 litres (2pints) in tesco here in NI, so 95c for a litre is cheaper than the UK, also cheaper than France (€1.05 for own brand)

from 44c for farmer to 95c pasteurised, packaged and delivered to a store, hardly the work of a cartel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Agree, except there should be no luck to it. Interest rates on savings need to rise. If ordinary families ran their finances like the state does, the country would be completely screwed. The consequences of not protecting savers is that people won't save either for short term or long term needs like pensions. And that we should surely know by now, is not in the state or it's citizens interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

No, I agree that excessive money printing is the reason but the official line is that lockdown needed extreme measures to be taken and fiscal riles to be disregarded.

As I said, for me QE is the excuse looking for a problem and I think there will be a new reason given for it if the Ukraine Russia crisis runs out of justification (eg climate change). It's all to do with propping up pensions and house prices for a certain generation that are at or close to retirement. They are trying to preserve what they have at all costs in order to make it over the line to death. But, of course, quite clearly the next twenty years cannot be like the last twenty years as populism will put short work to that. Even in this country it is clear the tide has shifted and a crash in house prices are actively wished for by half the population which will trend to a higher portion over time.

QE won't prop up pensions. The reverse in fact.

Ireland also uses the Euro which is controlled by the ECB monetary policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Welcome to boards.ie bud. May take a few weeks/months to educate yourself.

What were you an expert in before you joined? 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

• Registered Users Posts: 24,890 ✭✭✭✭zell12

6 eggs €0.99 now €1.15, 12 eggs €1.99 now €2.29

• Registered Users Posts: 5 melina

I Bought used car a year ago for 9k now i could sell it for 10k ..crazy isn’t it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

raising rates isnt gonna solve inflation, as it has little or nothing to do about the money supply, raising will just make a bad situation much worse, as debts become more difficult to service!

Watch our gombeen political class try and fix prices then wonder where the supply is gone and the black market price is through the roof

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

supplies are already stuck in significantly disrupted supply chains hence inflation

Advertisement