Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭wandererz

The concerning bit is how many Russian agents were part of that lot in order to further embed themselves in Europe and using this to gain a guise of legitimacy.

There is that. But, what about our Russian friends living in Ireland and Germany etc and their love of Z paraphernalia? Seems they like getting away from Russia, but still have many abhorrent Russian tendencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

So there was a safety device and it worked. Typical left of PC BBC. One would hope that lessons were learned and that the current stuff that is fielded and comprise the relevant subject matter, are better engineered.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

If Russians want out of Russia, they can go to Georgia, Armenia or Kazakhstan. Until this situation gets resolved, I don't think civilised Europe should be welcoming any more of them, no matter how well-intentioned they might seem to be. We (Europe) are not the level of being at war with Russia, exactly, but not far below it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Sorry. I went off script. All Russians are scumbag orcs. That better? Some are understandably hoping that fires going off in Russia are examples of resistance. Well if they are, who's starting them? Magical fairy people? Christ the level of simple minded, often paranoid "thinking" that goes on in this thread beggars belief at times. Well, not really. But for an accident of birth the same simple minded thinking would be calling Ukrainians black magic drug addict Jewish nazis.

You do understand there might be a bit of a difference between those Russians who left the place years ago for all sorts of reasons and the sudden jump in those leaving since this war kicked off and how they might be different? You do understand that Russia is an autocratic police state and that most of those who did leave recently leave family behind, family that the Kremlin junta might target? When the same Russian authorities are arresting grannies who were born amidst the smoking ruins of Leningrad and people just holding up blank pieces of paper it's hardly too surprising those who got out recently might be a little wary of sticking their heads above the parapet, especially in countries that are somewhat "friendly" to the Kremlin. If anything those fleeing the place now are more likely to be anti Kremlin because they've lived it on a daily basis than those mostly older types who left years ago and are more likely to still harbour feelings for the "old country" at a remove.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I have to disagree. I think if Natasha wanted to move to the EU, she and those like her should be welcome.

Perhaps some vetting would be in order so those who can show even an inkling of not being too happy with present day Russia should be exempted. All those arrested for protests, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

Feasible outcome of Putin's upcoming op.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,612 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I'd be the opposite, welcome them, give them a voice (subject to security checks of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

While I agree with alot of your posts Wibbs, this whole 'accident of birth' stuff is way to overused, and frankly irrelevant.

Is the equivalent of saying 'if u grandad had tits he'd be your granny. '

Dopey at best.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

For an artist it's must be twice harder to be a soldier. Artist are more sensitive souls...

We are past the 25K milestone.

Due to the sanctions and embargos, they can't make new tanks and probably a lot more materiel, besides those.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

What’s so wrong about they going to China, India, Hungary and the rest of the countries that voted for RU in a recent UN resolution re condemning Ru invasion

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I think it's relevant Fiery when simple minded jingoistic bollocks with eff all nuance is trotted out and the same simple minded jingoistic bollocks with eff all nuance respects few borders and about the only difference in its target is down to those accidents of birth, or even circumstances.

For me the Russian authorities and too many Russians themselves are being thundering dickheads because of their little willy insecurities around their dying empire and failed state. The largest country on earth, with the most natural resources on the planet with a rich history in culture and science with the same size economy(or less) of Italy, where beyond the big cities it looks like the 1930's, and not the nicer end of the 1930's. They're being thundering dickheads because - and it really is this simple for a nice change - people including their own are dying in the thousands, while a few million more lives are destroyed because they invaded another country out of their small dick insecurity. There are tens of thousands of people dead who wouldn't be if they hadn't.

At the same time the jingoistic bollocks irritates, when I'd bet the farm a fair few spouting it couldn't have placed Ukraine on a map at Christmas.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

The problem with those currently leaving are all potential informers. It’s of interest that those- assume more educated ones- who have left RU over the years are still brainwashed when a significant no of them organised these Z marches/car rallies with Russian Z marked flags. How come that there were no brave RU souls organising counter demos. They are not going to be arrested like their BRAVE men and women back home. I would trust NO, I repeat, NO Russian currently.

One thing that springs to mind is that every country that has a significant Russian population has the problem of the Russian Mafia.

I've seen it in Lithuania, Turkey, South Africa and others. Absolute thugs.

I see what you did there. And 'lots of verbiage to distract from the question', wibbs is thy name.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,512 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Another issue is that Russia seems to be the most corrupt country in Europe. A major theory about the weakness of the Russian army is that it has been destabilised by rampant corruption in the country going back decades, including in the government and the military.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

• Advertisement

You're verging on victim-claiming there.

Russia uses their people abroad (well, everywhere) as pawns and weapons. I care about where I am and I don't really care about a tech worker from St. Petersburg moving to Estonia or an Oil worker looking elsewhere. The kinds of Russians who could leave at short notice are exactly the ones who were doing just fine under Putin. They're from the same cohort as the ones who were queueing outside Ikea and electronics stores when the invasion kicked off. They're leaving because they might make less money if they stay. As with most economic migrants we shouldn't be rolling out a red carpet for them. We owe them absolutely nothing.

Aye, alll Russia has to offer the world right now is what they dig out of the ground. Leave it for Modi and his own fascists in their shithole country to buy.

Indeed, many seem to buy into the Russian nationalist narrative of Russian 'greatness', 'Ukraine is not a real country' etc, particularly the older generation. Putin is probably safe for the moment with large numbers of the population holding these opinions.

What I have seen with immigrants in this day and age is that they typically leave their counties for higher salaries and a better lifestyle.

Once they get to their new country though, there is very little integration. Combined with that, by virtue of satellite and Internet TV they tend to predominantly if not sometimes 100% consume the same media as at home.

It's like religion. You are brainwashed from birth. No matter what anyone tells one, one will find counterpoints all based on nothing, fiction. Same with Russian media. It's all they know from birth and they can't let it go.

IPTV, YouTube, TikTok, Telegram they will go to any media to get their fix.

What I would like to know is how an ex Russian soldier who served in Afghanistan was able to come to this country in the first place and establish residency.

If he's been here 5 years or more I'm assuming that he now has Irish citizenship.

Prior to that though he would have had to arrive on some kind of visa. How did GNIB miss this and allow a former active duty soldier from a hostile country to move here.

They should all be traced by their vehicle registrations at least and charged with supporting hatred and mass murder and inciting hatred if we have such laws.

Then they should be have their residencies and citizenships revoked and made to vamonos the feck out of the country.

I have no problems with people having peaceful commemorations on the day as long as it is done in the spirit of the original event and not supporting the current regime.

However, that vehicle rally was clearly in support of the murdering baskets.

They're not viewing both Russian and Western media to make an educated & informed decision. They're viewing only the Russian tripe and living in their own brainwashed world yet enjoying the comfortable lifestyle of a western country without fear of being thrown out of a window.

Post edited by wandererz on

Putrid is reputed to have a fortune amounting to $100 b. The rot is well entrenched at the top. At least he leads by example in one respect.

How come that ,I assume , the Russians - of all ages and who were probably were never outside of Russia had the cop on / knowledge and courage to protest on the streets of some Russian cities AND yet those Russians who came to ireland for more money and a better lifestyle and who have been exposed to western media , culture and lifestyles still decided to do the Z thing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭jmreire

How many still have relatives back in Russia? Vladimir and his FSB have a long reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Ceramic

There are probably a few thousand Russians in Ireland and a small number (mostly in cars) went on that rally. I suspect they're not very representative of your average Irish-Russians tbh.

You'll also get paid stooges, at least if China's approach is anything to go by. There were various students suddenly showing up at protests in London etc who had shown absolutely no interest in politics to that point - seemed very much to be 'rent a crowd'.

It's not that difficult to whip up a band of conspiracy theorists online into a noisy visible rally somewhere. Doesn't mean that's what most Russians here are feeling / thinking about this.

Russia's also into rather loud and unsophisticated political shows of support, which I think may work in some places, but there's no context here and no traction either, so expect a few crude PR exercises. They had one or two people 'biting' online and in politics here when they were doing the show boating about their vaccine back in 2020. It was remarkable to hear the calls for Sputnik, despite the fact that we'd a copious supply of mainstream vaccines on its way from reputable companies, many of which we know very well here and even make key components here. However you could see our political system being probed for fissures that could be wedged open. They've found plenty in the US and UK. I suspect they might just be struggling somewhat here due to the way politics works - it's not that polarised due to PR-STV voting etc but you could see the same narratives suddenly emerging from nowhere...

Also the HSE / health services cyber attack coincided almost exactly with our came within a few months of our throwing our weight around on the UN Security Council...

They're unlikely to protest against it because of the FSB's reach and families at home. It's a very, very strange country.

The security services here should be keeping an eye on it though. I think we can be a little too laid back sometimes.

Post edited by Ceramic on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

I wonder what happened to the probe in 2018 into expensive property owned by Russians in Dublin

Dublin probe over 'Russian dirty money' as Ballsbridge homes lie vacant

• Advertisement

Some excellent news from Mariupol at last. Ukrainian deputy PM says all women, children and the elderly have been safely evacuated from the Avovstal steel plant.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement