Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm?? CHAPTER TWO

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Don't think anything I've ever read has ever stuck with me so hard, literally think about things from it every day, the Great Ravine, the Fleet, the Dark Forest theory itself, its spectacular. Pity all his other books are hot garbage.

Finally got round to reading The Bat by Jo Nesbo. A really good read and a very good translation from the original Norwegian into idiomatic English. Looking forward to the rst of the series. Yes, as usual I am late to the party!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

I suppose its a matter of opinion since I would put 'Tinker Tailor' as best and 'The Honourable Schoolboy' as second-best but 'The Spy Who Came in' is very good too. Smiley doesn't feature in 'The Spy Who Came in' much but makes an appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Saladin Ane

Danny Morrison's new "Freestatism & The Good Old IRA". A really good, well researched read.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,050 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Sounds more like a party political broadcast going by the description on the Sinn Fein website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

Going through the magic that is Douglas Coupland.

How did I miss out on this genius for so long?

Have read "Generation A", then "Generation X". Just finished "Girlfriend in a Coma"

Its not often that the word "seminal" is appropriate, but it is an understatement for this writer. Just beautifully written stories, and characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I usually stick to sci-fi fantasy but I tore through Girlfriend in a Coma, loved it.

Tamed: Ten Species that Changed Our World by Professor Alice Roberts. An absolutely fascinating read, highly recommended

• Registered Users Posts: 16,474 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Impressive effort for a book that barely seems to have been reviewed. Focuses on JRRT's academic life and renders it surprisingly gripping.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Test 123

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

'At Night All Blood is Black' - David Diop, brutal savage war book

• Registered Users Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Read the first two Sally Lockhart books by Philip Pullman recently, they were only OK. Then In The Woods by Tana French, which was a bit better.

Currently reading Windswept & Interesting by Billy Connolly, which is one of the best things I've ever read.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭bladespin

Michael Dunlop - Road racer, it's excellent, gives some good insight into what drives these guys - if you know what the Dunlop Dynasty is then it's a must.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I'm currently reading Considering Phlebas by Iain Banks and Early Riser by Jasoer Fforde.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Thanks @fixXxer for recommending our book and I hope you enjoyed it @breezy1985! John.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

So I've come to the conclusion that Tana French isn't for me. Just finished The Secret Place and it was a genuine struggle.

Not sure what to read next. I've plenty of options but want to be reasonably sure whatever I pick will be enjoyable. Might re-read an old faithful just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,436 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

The Seventh Scroll by Wilbur Smith

Desperately poor, it nearly killed me to finish it. Unfortunately it is book 2 in his Egyptian series so I have a few more on my shelf to get through.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I'm a third of the way through Roger Daltrey's autobiography, A bit too much of 'Back in my day, young ones don't know they're born nowadays' but it is interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,050 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The man who sang My Generation ironically spends a hell of a lot of time banging on about "kids these days"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

That’s harsh, the man is still letting it rip.

https://salmonbusiness.com/when-rock-stars-turn-to-fish-farming/

• Advertisement

Madhouse At The End Of The Earth by Julian Sancton

A brilliant read recounting the Belgica's journey to the Antarctic and the trials and tribulations faced by the crew. I thoroughly enjoy polar exploration books and this was no different and I would highly recommend this for any likeminded individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Hawkwoods Sword by Christian Cameron

Book 5 in the Chivalry series.

About half way through this one and so far a entertaining read but not as much intrigue or action as previously in the series.As per the blurb I’ve a feeling things will change in the second half.

Overall this is a top notch historical fiction series well worth reading.

France, Spain and England prepare for war. In Italy, the Pope and the Visconti princes are battling for bloody supremacy. The worst years of Sir William Gold's life are about to begin. Leaving the side of his commander, Sir John Hawkwood, William embarks on a new journey that will bring him fame and favour - until a heart-breaking personal tragedy leads him to put down his sword…….

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭dil87

Bad Blood, the story of Elizabeth Holmes and Theranos

Operation Pedestal: The Fleet That Battled To Malta 1942 by Max Hastings

I am quite a fan of Hastings having read a few of his other books in the past and this is another cracker of his.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Silent Spring by Rachel Carson.

Written 60 years ago and sadly still relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

I’m halfway through rereading his Vietnam book and it’s just magnificent. I think my favourite Hastings book is Nemesis which covers the war against Japan in the pacific.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Started Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Reading The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas. Classic adventure set during the Napoleonic era in France. Its a big book and I'm half-way through but enjoying it so far.

Just finished Purple Hibiscus, and have just started Rationality by Steven Pinker.

Having a great year's reading.

• Advertisement

That's good to hear. I've generally always stuck to European conflicts and had been debating whether to venture into Asia.

Advertisement