Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

MY friends mower went out one day and never returned. Insurance didnt want to know. It was found by a neighbor about a month later smashed to bits in a ditch about a km down the road. Looks like someone saw it going around and decided to get into a bit of vandalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭whippet

unfortunately just about everything you'll go to order these days will have the same problems

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

Insured it with AIG in the end, they accepted that it would not be locked in and put a 3000E specific item value on it, unlike previous insurers because it was not over 3000 it did not effect the premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Thud

They just cancelled my order "problems with parts (semi-conductors, transistors" claim its just the larger models but would be interested to see if they deliver any models

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Redlim

Was just onto their customer service. They've had to cancel more than half of their pre-orders due to the shortages. Segway also need to hold back various parts as spares. The 3000 model is the one with tightest supply. It's pot luck for that one but first come first served for the other models.

Seemingly my order for the 1500 will still be fulfilled and they expect them to arrive in Belgium on 20th May.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭marob1969

Installing a 430x with a narrow passage at one side of the lawn and want to stop the mower from 'accidently' going back down the passage during normal mowing until he needs to do so to return to charging station as I need him to stick to the guidewire when doing so as the boundary wire is tight to a kerb on one side, and he sometimes falls off if not following the guidewire, when he goes in there during normal mowing. Saw this online about putting these peninsulas in. Just wondered does anyone know what the distance between the two boundary wire peninsulas would be, 60cm, less, more? Hope I’m making sense 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jed68

60cm is the smallest distance you can have between boundary wires. Can I ask why the mower goes over kerb edge sometimes? You can reduce the distance the mower goes past the boundary wires in the settings. If you reduce the distance it should prevent this. Maybe I am misunderstanding the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭marob1969

Thanks for the response, the passage was narrow to begin with, probably only about 70-80cm so I put the boundary wire right inside the kerbing between the kerb and the lawn. I didn't have room to have another 30-35 cm on the outside of the boundary wires then. I will go with a 60 cm distance and see how it goes. Want him to be only following the guidewire in the passage to get out from or back to charging station. The bit of lawn in the passage, I will strim or manually mow, as its only about 4 meters long. Once again thanks for the response.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Having desperate problems with our Stihl imow and looking for advice.

Have it three years. The local Stihl dealer came out with an imow rep who told us our lawns would be suitable. Bought the dearest imow 3k but it was clear the installer was inexperienced not looping off big trees etc. The dealer came out to move all the wires which were still wrong so I replaced it at my own cost.

I spent the first summer moving the robot as it kept getting stuck on the back lawn. The grips on the rear wheels wore away and the wheels had to be replaced. It became obvious that the back lawn wasn't suitable so it only cuts the front.

I got it serviced for the season and it wouldn't charge saying battery temperature too low. The dealer has it a month now. We were told the battery is ok and that they were trying to bypass the temperature sensor. Now they say that it needs a €300 repair including a new battery. I have asked them to go to Stihl head office about it because something is not right. They just say no word back.

What are our options here? Such a disappointing experience with a Stihl product and a Stihl dealer.

How much are people paying for a service on the Husqvarna Automowers, just clean, update software and full system check?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,898 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Unless it's broken and doing something funny why are people servicing the mower . Would you bring a washing machine off for a service.

Genuine question.

Surely you can clean it yourself. Change the blades and put it back in it's house.

Obviously I'm not talking about washing it and changing blades, talking about a software update and full online system check, split mower replace seal etc, just mine not had software update in over 2 yrs.

Back to my point, unless it's malfunction leave the software alone tbh. Working in software myself we generally play with to update the firmware to play nice with new hardware varients.

Usually say if it ain't broke don't fix it. Specifically for hardware like this. Obviously I would have a different opinion for UI based stuff . But for mowers. Leave her as is.

For the battery seals. Open and put slim but of grease around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭dashoonage

mine hasnt seen the dealers since it was bought 3 years ago, if something goes wrong ill get the software etc done but until then they have work to be doing :P

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭EletricMan

Picked up a 415x, my house is a new build and hope to have lawn set over the next few weeks. Regarding setting up, it says to place the docking station in the center of the lawn, I have a socket at one side of the lawn that I especially put as it would be out of the way and not visible and offer some shelter. Is it vital to have the docking station in the center?

I would prefer to keep it off to the side where I have the socket. I can run a new socket no problem but obviously would have the cost of the new cable ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭spose

It doesn’t matter if it’s not in the middle. I presume it’s just to try and minimise travel time back to the base which in the grand scheme of things doesn’t matter much. Mines tucked up in a corner.

on service price…paid 140 recently. First service in its 4 year life. Only did it because I wanted the firmware update which is supposed to make it better able to handle narrow corridors which I have crossing my driveway. I think newer models can update over the app so I don’t think I’d bother getting it done then. I don’t see the service does anything to prevent any failures

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Tooleyn

I checked in on update for delivery today and got a reply about restructuring.......website down and they closed my customer service thread ...not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

What are the pros/cons of having a mower that have a larger set of wheels at the front of the mower? Are they better for particular lawn types?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Dutch Roll

Is this myrobotcenter? Doesn't sound good at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sarah88

Hi, I wonder can anyone advise. We're just in the process of setting up a Gardena 1600, and we are having an issue with the mower connecting to the base station. It manages to mount the platform with no issues and makes contact with the tip charging terminals. It then tries to push itsself to connect fully but is unable. The base is completely flat. Any advise would be much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 banjostring

First world problem here, but I’ve had my 430X running now about 7 or 8 weeks and it’s flying it. The only minor issue I have is that it isn’t chopping down the dandelions 😂, so I have a perfectly cut lawn with numerous dandelion stems about 6 inches high ! Blades seem ok. Has anyone come accross that issue before ?

Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 banjostring

That sounds like it could be really helpful. My lawn is hilly and a bit tricky and sounds similar to yours. Would love to know if you made any headway on that?. My machine is a 430X so not sure if it would have that function ! Thanks

Have that Problem sometimes. Eventually gets them it's the season for swift growth of dandelions.but it will find them give it a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Tooleyn

Ya it is I'm afraid. I saw a few others on here we're waiting as well so I said I better put it up. Email about restructuring and visit a website in a few days to log claim. Not holding out any hope really. Sickened. No money and no mower.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭bunderoon

I'm still waiting for my refund. They wont reply to emails since their last reply on the 11/04/22.

I have applied to BOI Mastercard for a charge back. Lets see.

Out of interest, I emailed the myrobotcenter's CEO and got an OoO until the 15th May. I've already left a 1 star review on Trustpilot - which they usually do reply to. I will be leaving 1 star reviews in as many online rating sites as possible, including those in UK, Germany and Austria which seems to be their largest markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Dazed2020

Just got the email too.

I'd requested and refund a week or two ago. Like others here, that's €2k+ down the drain and no mower.

Unfortunately I bought via debit card rather than credit.

Would appreciate if people could post advice/updates on reclaiming anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Dutch Roll

Yea they're in trouble. I got a big long email talking about restructuring proceedings and regional courts etc.

What's the deal with claiming money back? Debit card might be a battle, but what about credit card or PayPal?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭whippet

Spent the day on Sunday filling in holes in the garden - some related to the dog digging and some related to the automower getting stuck and digging a little rut for itself. Used a mix of compost and topsoil and then grass seed - rain last night came at the right time.

There was about 20 holes in total to fill in.

I'd identified a couple of spots where it was getting stuck, slipping off the side over the past few weeks and made up some small wooden barriers (kinda like small fence panels).

Hopefully I will have the place obstacle free before I go on holidays in a few weeks - the last few years I had to get my in-laws down to check and rescue the mower !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭bunderoon

Got the same email this morning. I bought with Mastercard but over 120 days ago so unlikely to get anything.

Advertisement