Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fall of the Catholic Church

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

https://medium.com/@williamlynch1970/lets-tackle-trans-bull-130bb83b3d50

• Registered Users Posts: 33,383 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

How so? I mean - even if the there are increases (and I'm not entirely convinced that there are) what evidence is there that this is linked to an alleged decline of religion in Western nations?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Society is changing rapidly for various reasons. Not spending an hour of every Sunday apologising for being humans isn't going to increase loneliness.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bayonet

Well, religion typically gives you a sense of community. A sense of community appears to be very important to humans. In fact the one thing that blue zones seem to have in common is community. I think there's no doubt that believing also provides a comfort and can help during challenging times. There's also a sense of purpose to being religious.

Despite generally living in prosperous times in the west, we're seeing more unhappy young people.

Religious is foundational and cohesive. If you pull that rug out from under society, you better have something to replace it with.

Sorry, but all of this is confirmation bias and circumstantial at best. I mean, a lot of things give you community. Clubs, associations. hobbies and passtimes and so on. More so because you join them by choice rather than have them assigned upon birth. Even in Ireland - the GAA has a very strong community element and is not religious.

So I still see no direct evidence linking any of the so called ills (also unproven) and religion. So there was never a "rug" to start off with.

Also - forgive the ignorance - but what are "blue zones"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,383 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

An organisation preaching love, tolerance, respect, responsibility yet exuding little of those qualities themselves… an organisation with a big rule book they demand everyone else is in adherence to yet they themselves fail time and time again…to live up to and adhere to the standards they set for everyone else. They’ve been found out. When i went as a kid Sunday mass was packed, 5 or 6 masses on Sunday, including the evening one… now 2… 10.00 & 11.30… people there from 3 to 93… now mostly an older demographic with younger people mostly of different communities.

my parents tell me that about a quarter of the congregation at a Sunday mass at their church now are Polish, Brazilian and other assorted communities and nationalities… back in the ‘90’s if for 11.00 mass you turned up any later then 10.50 you were standing ..seats galore now..

a slight upsurge now in numbers with Eastern Europeans, African people coming to the area and the immigration led population surge… but numbers are way down… when compared to 20 years ago…2 priests instead of the old 4…and half the masses…

the mishandling of child sex abuse, the denial, cover ups as well as a more enlightened and less fearful younger generations showing you can lead a good life and be a good person without getting involved in that class A hokey and hypocritical shower whom demand standards of others often what which they are often shown as being unwilling to live up to themselves…

RCNI

Young Women's Christian Association

Darkness to light

Whats your source

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

How many children has the Irish government raped? Source please.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bayonet

Blue zones are areas around the world with the longest lived populations. They tend to have different diets, but one of the correlating factors is these blue zones are small and community orientated.

I understand what you're saying. You can join a 5-aside and feel like you're in a community. The difference with religion is that you're in a community with people who share your values, ideology etc. Joining a club doesn't give you that depth.

Also having to join things is more of an effort and difficult for some people than being born into a ready made community.

I'm an atheist and for a long time cheered on the downfall of religion. But for sometime now I've noticed the fabric of society in western nations changing for the worse despite living in better times objectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I am glad the CC is losing its once all powerful grip on everything that moved in this country. Let those who wish to worship go ahead, but don't ask me to help pay for anything involving CC ever thank you.

I enjoyed reading this about the mahoosive gaff for sale in Killiney lived in by the master of Christian compassion and love Dr. JC McQuaid. Living in a mansion while he objected to the mother and baby scheme and people were hungry post war and dying of TB outside his glorious gate. Guessing that the secretaries mentioned were obsequious men, and the skivvies and cleaners were women.

"At Ashurst, McQuaid found sanctuary, as well as a space to host meetings with key players in the affairs of State. There was room in the house for his chaplain, secretaries and members of the order of nuns who ran the household. His driver lived in the gate lodge. A keen astronomer, he added the belfry tower, which today offers commanding views of Killiney Bay. It is said he suggested he liked to ascend to be closer to God, but he was also fond of shooting, and would aim his .22 rifle at encroaching magpies."

https://www.sherryfitz.ie/buy/house/dublin/killiney/ashurst-military-road

• Advertisement

Id cery much argue clubs do give you that - it certainly did me - and it was BECAUSE I shared MY values with them that makes it stronger.

The difference with religion is that they're NOT your values. They're someone else's. You just have them because your born into them. (You generally, not you personally)

So again - the idea that alleged hardships are related to a lack of religion is hopeful assumption on your part, and no evidence exists.

The state have never claimed to be the voice of god. Also, a large-scale global cover-up of sexual abuse, nope you can't accuse any individual government of coordinating anything similar. The government were complicit in not investigating the abuse but the moral arbiters enabled it globally. Also, bloody hell, the amount of pro life people that are happy to act as apologists for church.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I think a community is what gives people a sense of community. You look at any local funeral in Ireland, biggest example of communities coming together, that doesn't go away because you bulldoze the church.

Young people are unhappy today because the world is **** and it's dying. They're poor and probably always will be compared to their parent's generation. They're unhappy because the future is looking pretty bleak.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,098 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I'm not sure how being part of religious hierarchy or govt absolves either party.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

You are failing to account for the social aspect of attending religious services. It was the one thing that brought the community together on a regular basis and was typically a common denominator across the community.

Strip that away and the typical person may not interact with their community at all - you could live in a place but know practically no one at all. Such a situation is unlikely to develop where almost everyone attends religious services regularly.

There's been lots of cases of abuse in clubs. Hence the controls they all needed to put in place. A lot of kids are dropped in clubs and have no wish to be there either. I'm not equating any of that with religion either.

What age group are these new multi cultural church goers.

No, I'm not. Plenty of things can bring communities together.

Religion isn't the only way to do this. But it is cultural in Ireland.

Noticeable how in the country half a village will attend events like a funeral.

Perhaps there are plenty of things that can, but notably there is nothing that has.

There is nothing other than religious services that brought entire communities, young and old, to the one place, once a week.

• Advertisement

Not everyone has a non denominational school in their area or even close to it.

A lad I work with doesn't and actually drives his kids to an educate together school in Dublin but that is only possible because 1. He used to live in the area when they first registered for the school and 2. His mother lives near the school and can take them afterwards while he is in work.

For second level, he's already talking to some of the schools in Dublin and the one in Kildare even though the kids wouldn't be going there for another few years.

His father was in Artane and he won't have anything to do with the church, including having the kids baptised, yet they have plenty of participation in their local community without having to attend Mass every Sunday.

Half the village attend, at most 10% might have known the person who died, the rest are there for a couple of free sandwiches and a piss up.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,935 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Pity he didn't collaborate with other parents in the area to get the type of school they want in their area. Probably too late for that at this stage.

The difference between the church and other activities is that everyone has a right to attend church. Whereas every other activity is only open if you're "good enough" at whatever that activity does to fit in. Try handing out with a GAA or golf or music club if you're shyte at their sport, and you'll soon enough be frozen out.

Maybe that is your experience, isn't mine, but that might just be down to my personality.

So pubs, clubs, concerts and so on don't exist?

They do, but do people ranging from young children to the very elderly visit the same pubs, clubs or concerts once a week, every week?

The point I'm making is that religious services were a common denominator for communities (people living in the same area). Everyone attended them and attended them regularly.

Lots of people don't go to school in their local area. Its not special.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,383 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Every part of society isn’t advertising itself as a moral template, superior and holier than thou…

sexual misconduct isn’t exclusive to the Catholic Church but when you preach love and godliness but cover up and excuse sins and crimes…it’s a toxic organisation.

my sister was born with a genetic disease that would go on to take her life but when in Crumlin she went to be visited by their Chaplin a Fr Ivan Payne… known later as a notorious pedophile… my parents, deeply religious as they still are, vetoed any contract in the aftermath of getting to know that priest as they maintained that there was something brutally grim about him… his personality and manner…they knew, everyone knew working in the hospital, therefore in the church … yet he was allowed with impunity by his bosses, and hospital managers to have free reign around Crumlin Hospital…because of who he was and what organisation he was a member of..l

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭HazeDoll

Atheism isn't an alternative to religion, or a substitute for religion. It's complete freedom from religion.

Think of it like vegetarianism. Some vegetarians eat meat substitutes, things like Linda McCartney burgers that look and feel a lot like meat. They occupy the place on your dinnerplate where the pork chop would usually be.

Lots of other vegetarians just don't eat meat. No need to replace it with something that looks a lot like meat, they just eat more from the other food groups. Their dinner plate might not look like a meateater's, and to a meateater it might look empty and unfulfilling. That's because the meateater can't imagine a dinner without meat, it's not because the vegetarian isn't eating well.

Atheism isn't a 'looks like religion, tastes like religion' alternative to religion. It's just.... no religion.

Advertisement