Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What’s the Norm

• 07-05-2022 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

So my friend is always complaining that her husband is mean with money etc. Anyway she proceeded to tell me that they went for a bite to eat. They shared a pizza and had a drink each and her husband asked the waitress can they split the bill. They each paid half and the waitress looked at him funny and asked if he wasn’t going to treat his wife.. I don’t agree with the waitress getting involved but is it unusual for a couple to split bills? Should the man pay? Or they take turns or what is the norm. I didn’t know what to think so didn’t want to go against her husband but she finds it a turn off that he didn’t pay and thinks he should treat her sometimes.she told me he thinks she’s spoilt expecting him to pay..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

How do they manage their money as a married couple?

Do they pool some or all of their money?

Does she spend hundreds a month on hair and beauty etc for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Marymoore

What’s hers is hers and what’s his is his… they don’t share money at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭spakman

So they split the weekly food bill, utility bills, car insurance etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Yes, a married couple splitting the bill is a bit eccentric.

Maybe he feels he is overpaying for bills, mortgage etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

We split the bill. But we both pay with our cards from the same joint account. But only my wife is earning, so it's only her money that goes into the joint account. But she works for me (I own the company, but I don't take a wage). But she also owns the company that's my company's only client. Which my company is the only supplier of.

We find it less complicated to just split the bill than figure out who should pay each time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,270 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

To each their own I suppose, if they're agreed on the arrangement. However in this situation it sounds like they aren't.

Why do you ask if the man should get it?

I guess many couples do split it in a fashion, but usually in the format of, you got dinner last time, this is on me. Or pay from a joint account they both pay into. Very odd to ask to split the bill between a couple at a table, even if they were planning on paying their own way, usually one would pay and one reimburse.

The notion of separate financial lives in a marriage is strange to me, whatever about each half having some of their own to spend after they've contributed to household costs, but to keep it 100% separate seems bonkers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

hes just mean, you cannot even buy a pizza for your wife, ?theres a woman who wrote to slate.com, for advice

her husband is very rich, he makes her pay half the bills, mortage etc she works in an office job.

but i think you need to sort these issues out before you get married. a miser is a miser, a cheater is a cheater,

people dont change much after the age of 20. also maybe they earn roughly the same income so he feels the should go 50,50 in every expense they pay , many women earn more than their partner nowadays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Why would you suggest "should the man pay?" unless you're in your 70s of course.

How do we know the wife isn't wreckless with money and the man is the one managing the finances?

Every relationship is different and what I think is fair is that the higher earner pays an extra percentage when splitting bills or covers the bill more frequently and that goes for the man or the woman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Marymoore

None of their money is pooled. And no she is not a big spender at all. Only thing she would spend on other than bills/food etc would be meals out (maybe once a month or so) she never buys clothes or beauty or gets her hair done in fairness. Even if she did she would be the one paying. They actually take turns doing the grocery shops. She pays all the utility bills and car bills as he doesn’t drive. She was very down about it talking to me, she told me she feels sad seeing her future with him like this- claims she never saw this side before marrying.. shes also afraid cos shes 38 and afraid if she leaves him she’ll lose her chance to have kids.. tough situation, just didn’t know if she was being dramatic or not…

they both earn similar amounts although her very slightly less..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,538 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Are they both oddballs? Marriage means sharing the lot 50/50, sounds insane what they are doing.

Nice to see the ‘keep it simple, stupid’ principle in use.

Wut?!

If you're both paying your half of the bill using your own joint account card, for the same joint account, why not put it all on one card. And why would you even pay your half on your card if the only money in the joint account is your wife's? In essence she pays twice then, she pays with her money on her card, and you pay with her money on your card.

Makey no sense to me. I'm sure I'm missing something here!

Anyways, whatever works for you both 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Look, it’s just easier to split it on the two cards than have one of us pay it from the joint account and then try to figure out what the other owes them when we get home. Sitting down to reconcile accounts is a head wreck after a nice meal out. Why complicate things?

Yeah, none of this happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I fully support the equality agenda. 50/50 I say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

i think its nice for one person to pay the bill especially if one person earns more than the other, maybe sometimes its the woman, maybe sometimes its the man, i dont know how someone owns company and earns nothing, but sometimes people open a llc, because it reduces the tax bill on certain assets ,or it may take years before you have enough clients to make a profit.im in favour of equality,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,427 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

She should get a taxi type meter for the car and charge him every time she drives him anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,376 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I know a couple of people down the years for whom this would have been normal. Even if this exact story isn't true, such a thing does absolutely happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭squigglestrebor

He sounds like a tight bolix to be honest, and its on of those traits that will only every get worse. Tough situation on the age front. The biological clock is a real disadvantage for women, i think they have it on the whole equal to men in ireland but thats one area thats proper shite for them, they are limited with regard to dating/partners imo.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Agreed.

Was there a worm in the fish, OP? 😝

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

Jaysus, it sounds a bit odd. Here we just pay with whoever's card is handiest to reach.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Indeed.

But OP has form for unusual happenings with friends...

I'd always pay for dinner/lunch with my wife to treat her. Maybe it's a generation thinking, but I'd feel uncomfortable asking or expecting her to pay half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,793 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

sounds tax efficient

(or inefficient, i dunno)

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

This is obviously about you. How would you know all the trivial details otherwise. Just one of "ye" pay or take turns. Frank from Home Alone comes to mind. Mr Cheapskate.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

People say the Man sounds tight and mean. And I genuinely wouldn't do what he did. But why does the Man only sound mean and not the Woman?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Paul Pogba

Joint account in our house, wife works from home, loves heat, uses more electricity, eats more food as I buy lunch every day, her portion of the shopping bill probably twice as much as mine, electricity, internet, sky , groceries all paid from the joint account.

She earns more than me. All bills split evenly through joint account. Doesn’t bother me, it is what it is. Take it in turns paying for meals etc non joint account stuff , but herself probably pays for it 6/10 times as she normally suggests it. Not much disposable income myself after all bills are paid but comfortable and joint account works well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭sporina

@Marymoore are you that boardsie person again??? the one with all the mate's issues (or your own lol)..

(apologies in advance if your not)

Have two babies, a mortgage, childcare and 2 cars. What is this "disposable income" people talk about 😆

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Don't worry you will get your payback when you are living mortgage free and the kids are driving you to a restaurant and picking up the bill 🙂

Advertisement