Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,523 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Oh I wouldn't be that invested in the competition side of it at all. I just enjoy the event for the craic that it is. It's just entertainment. It would be great if Ireland had a good entry but there's absolutely nothing at stake.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭delboy85

Has anyone seen this? Alvan from France doing a cover of the Icelandic entry from 2020. I think it's brilliant. I loved "Think about Things" and it would've been my winner in 2020 but this is just as good if not better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UveYEWD0XcY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭franglan

Ukraine song is strong has to be a strong favourite to win.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Well it is the favourite, but obviously more so based on what's happening outside of Eurovision.

Their chances depends on how much of a sympathy vote they'll get from the juries. But I don't think they will win it, the song isn't strong enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Doesn't matter you still should show that you support for your home country (we still hold records, okay its quarter of a century ago but they are still records that other countries don't have). Sure if this is the case we should give up on Eurovision, Soccer, Cricket, Hockey and so on.

My memory is getting worse, but I agree if the last 2 years and this year's entries are to go by we really haven't sent our best. I don't think this years is the worst ever but its not a winning song and it won't get out of the semi-finals (unless the rest aren't that great).

I haven't see all of the songs but I heard one that I think is absolutely shite... but I can tell it is 10 times better than the Irish entry... even though of the 2 I have heard I still prefer the Irish song but I can see that it doesn't stand up to the shite song...

Ukraine should have one last year. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqvzDkgok_g

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

@johnire -  Ireland are submitting such c**p songs. I can honestly tell you in the Eurovision world at ground zero we’re a laughing stock

I know where you're coming from.

Our Eurosong'96 entry winner was a catchy tune but went on to score 'nul points' in the Eurovision. No doubt due in part to the bad rep that priests have. 😏

...or probably because they never performed it in the manner they dreamed of...

Post edited by goldenmick on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

This won slection for Ukraine but she broke a rule about traveeling ot the Crimea or something like that.

This would have won by 100 pts plus imo

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭delboy85

I really like that.

What happens if Ukraine wins this year? Assuming the war rages on will hosting duties go to the country that comes second?

Yep, all Alina Pash had to do was show up and she'd have won it. It was a top 5/3 contender even before the war started.

I've never seen this thread so quite for Eurovision rehearsals. Although not helped by the fact that there was no media access to the first rehearsals and the staging problems have severely blighted the preparations.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pnott

The moving sun background that was meant to move symbolising the movement of the sun has been scraped. Instead it won't move at all so it now looks like a giant black rainbow with a few LEDs on it covering up the LCD screens in the background. From the few pictures I saw of rehearsals it looks awful. Perhaps they can do something with it to make it less noticeable. Some countries have had to alter their staging because of the technical issue. I feel bad for the Italian hosts.

• Advertisement

General feedback from Ireland's second rehearsal is good, seems we're giving ourselves a fighting chance at qualification.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,699 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Feedback from who though? as if it's from the RTÉ delegation, I'd dismiss it as a Martyism......

Haha no. The many bloggers/journalists in the arena for the rehearsals. Feedback from them has been quite good. We've gone from the 'last place contender' pile to 'might scrape through', which is the best we can hope for from RTÉ these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭LordBasil

Grand so..

Marty will take that as "the word on the ground here is we've a chance of winning"

The last couple of Irish songs have just seemed like they were 3-4 years too late, as in if they were entered 3-4 years previous they'd have a chance (of making a final). It seems like what a lot of countries were doing before, is what we are always doing now.. so expect us to go the ballad/rock route in a few years when it's all swung back towards pop..

Marty of course has probably not heard a single other entry from any of the other countries competing!! but still reckon's our one has the beans to make a big splash...

Looking forward to next Thursday's Marty Meltdown when we don't get to the final..

Big 5 halves drawn

Would've preferred if France got the second half, but hopefully they'll get a good slot and won't be forgotten. Obviously second half is great for the UK and their odds continue to shorten, but I doubt this is a win contender. Any time the UK sends something not completely sh*t the fandom loses the run of themselves.

Post edited by yerwanthere123 on

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Amik

LOL Agree about the UK and the fandom. His rehearsal clip does look great (super talented guy, unreal voice) but can't see this song becoming a part of Eurovision winner history. Brexit wounds are still fresh anyways.

One of the many unrealistic things in the Story of Fire Saga movie was Edinburgh hosting Eurovision, because it meant the UK won the year before. I doubt fiction will become reality in 2023. Or maybe Netflix has arranged this to happen? :P

Glad to see France recreating their national final performance.

Brooke seems to be a guilty pleasure for many. Still confident she'll sneak into Saturday!

Yikes. Love We Are Domi but Dominika just not hitting her high notes in the rehearsals. Just holding back for the semi final?

• Advertisement

The UK e try might not be a winner, but it's a qualifier -if they had to qualify. Even with the penalty of the reputation of being among the biggest d1ckheads in Europe, the UK will do pretty well with this.

Real pity about the Irish entry though. Yer wan looks like the female equivalent of Dad Dancing at a wedding. The difference between her and the backup dancers is so stark. It's a bit like in Strictly Come Dancing when the professional is miles better than the worst amateur and they have to dumb it down to minimise the discrepancy. Who gave her the impression she should be a pop star? Well, as long as Ireland is taking the Fr.Ted approach to the Eurovsion, she can have a decent career.

I actually thought she sounded alright 😬 I think the light show looks very impressive too and they're fortunately not affected by the dead sun. Comfortable qualifier, but unfortunately won't do as well in the final as I thought it might earlier in the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,443 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I really like Brooke’s song!! Thought I’d hate it but it’s a total guilty pleasure- played it dozens of times in the car on Apple. Yes there’s not much depth to it but it’s fun and upbeat and up to date

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

I'm just after listening to the Irish entry for the first time from this girl from my neighbouring parish. It was disgusting, I could smell the misandry and ultra feminism off it a mile off. Lyrics like "I don't want a lazy lover" and referring to the man as a "loser". No thank you, that isn't what I call art. I hope she doesn't make the final but given that society love that hypersexual drivel she probably will, isn't that the same contest that had the woman with the beard singing.

Ah, there are loads of reasons to dislike the song, but could you keep the the gender wars stuff to thre myriad of threads about the gender wars?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

It's one of the worst songs this year, definitely not strong or even decent. They're favourites purely because of the war. It is what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,443 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I think you’re overanalysing things a little bit too much here lol

Brooke and her crew getting lots of attention on the turquoise carpet. Seems like every cutaway shot is of her or Achille Lauro (San Marino).

I had a dream like this the other night...

• Advertisement

Love love S10. I still think she'll finish as high as her shoulder pads: Top 10 for sure!

Advertisement