Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Have dry hoggetts that I got faecal tested in middle of March before letting out of shed after 2 months in to grass and results meant they did not need a fluke or worm dose…

They will be moving to avg ground that gets wet when weather breaks for next few months….wonder should I just give them a fluke dose now…..or go for a combination dose to cover fluke and worms?

Thanks for any thoughts…..dosing them tomorrow morning and will give them a mineral dose then as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

They don't need a worm dose anyway, healthy sheep develop an immunity to worms after a year old.

If rearing lambs it's a good idea to dose the hoggets at weaning, but apart from that they don't need dosing over a year old.

Thanks,would I not be as well to give them a fluke dose?

As they will be going to bottommy type ground and some of them were on that type of ground for last month.

They are dry hoggetts and are in good shape.

We don't have fluke here so have no experience of it, Probably could dose for adult fluke now if you knew they had it, You'd be as well test for it now if you don't know if your land is 'Flukey'

On worm doses, we should be using them as little as possible, A neighbour had a problem with yellow wormers not working and it only the second year thet sheep were on the farm after 40 years without them. there's no need for wormers in adult sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

No point in giving a fluke dose unless they already have fluke now. It won't cover fluke picked up in a couple of weeks.

Fluke have a life cycle too involving the mud snail, the fluke hatch and have to infect the snail before it can infect sheep.

Autumn and winter are the higher risk period for sheep so I'm not sure how much risk there is in the next few weeks even if land tends to be wet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Would it be possible to train 4week old lambs to ewe 2 feeder?. Have about 12 couples on hill

We've often had a ewe with 2lambs die of grass tetany and it's nigh on imposible to get them to take milk.

We usually put them with the pets on adlib meals.

What about feeding the ewes, we had to feed the ewes a kilo meal for a fortnight when the grass stopped growing in april and got a great response.

Can you put the 12 ewes and lambs in a group on their own and feed them. we gave them .5kg twice a day

• Registered Users Posts: 4,633 ✭✭✭White Clover

Had a ewe rearing twins die about 3 weeks ago. The lambs were 23 days old. Took about 36 hours to get them to take the bottle and about 2 more days until they were finishing their 3 feeds/day willingly. Switched on to teat bucket then and they bombed along drinking about 1.8l per day. Weaned yesterday eating 400g of crunch. If you are willing to put the time into them it can turn out ok.

Would a low positive for coccidiosis cause hoggets to get very dirty? I suspected the short young grass, but FEC'd them anyway, only 50 egg counts in other worms so nothing going on there. Can't seem to raise my vet on the normal channels, he may be out of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭148multi

What about rumen fluke

• Advertisement

Just had a google on the symptoms, I'd lean against it as they're very lively and don't appear "off" apart from being dirty. Think I'll soak some pulp in the morning see if a bit of fibre changes things until I get a hold of the vet.

Could be the fresh growth this week.... especially if there's any suffolk in them,

You know what they say about suffolk ''Black at both ends''

Sheep usually develop immunity to coccidiosis at 8 - 10 weeks of age

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

On good grass at the moment want to put them to hill with one lamb Other option would be to keep until shearing in July and remove on lamb. Did this last year and worked ok, but sheep were on land for two months when they could have been on hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Jimbo789

What is this parasite?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭DJ98

What is the best product to use on lambs for first worm dose?

Any of the white doses, nematodirus is easy killed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

They swarm during fine weather at this time of year and can end up anywhere - noticed a few in the house and on the cattle in recent days myself

I noticed them today when I was putting Spot On on ewe hoggets so assumed they were related to why some of the ewes had been scratching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Went out to look at ewes and lambs yday,got a lovely 6 week old Suffolk lamb dead as a door nail…..they were done for Clostridial diseases…..and were seen the day before.

Sheep great for dying!!

If another one dies go for PM, you might have a disease that isn't covered by the vaccine you used, we had to change to tribovax and Ovipast because of losing a good few to sardelli.

We've changed back to heptavac P again now though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Congratulating myself last week on how well lambing had gone and no pet lambs about the place and the bag of milk replacer I bought at the start of lambing hadn't even been opened. Neighbour called to take the bag on Friday evening and of course nothing would do him but he had to give the kids £10 each for the bag of milk powder, despite my protestations.

Had the ewes with twins in a bare field beside the yard on Saturday just for handiness as I was bringing the lambs in to scabivax them. Got all the singles done in the morning and then planned to do the twins in the afternoon after taking the kids to their match. Back home and a ewe had jumped out of the field over a sheep wire fence with two stands of barb into a silage field and munching away contently. Went to gather her up and she just lay down and promptly died in front of me leaving a set of 2 week old twins to rear.

Have to go now and buy a bag of milk replacer and I doubt the kids will be handing back their tenners anytime soon. Ah sheep, gotta love their inventiveness for dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Any problems with letting ewes and lamb out on ground that has been limed this month

• Registered Users Posts: 4,633 ✭✭✭White Clover

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

have ewe lambs here with single April born lambs at foot,was throwing them around 300 grams of meal per head each day as the paddock they were on was getting tight for grass,..will be moving them on to the main grazing block now today where grass is quite good,..would the be ok without meal going forward now or would the lambs need creep?..anyone any thoughts?

If they're april born they're still living on mainly milk and if the ewes have enough to eat they'll feed them grand. lambs will be eating grass too from a month old.

Lambs will thrive on on good grass but if you want them finished quicker, feeding meals is necessary.

How much are cull ewes making at moment?...I have a big savage of a 3 year old Cheviot ewe that threw a lamb earlyon and was eating away at nuts all spring with the other ewes and lambs.

Would say she is well over 80 kg liveweight.....and has feeding on her.

She was probably worth a bit more 6 weeks ago when buying for Ramadan was happening but it didn't suit to get her in before now.

Thanks for any replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭serfspup

don't think its cockchafer more likely a dung beetle 10-15mm long?

Advertisement