Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Fights **Mod note: Keep discussion to fight night threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Right I’m gonna say that fight wont ever take place. Quote me if you like if I’m wrong but that’s my thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Really looking forward to it personally. Think there's a really good case for Bivol to give Canelo some serious problems. First guy with a decent jab, decent movement and a good gas tank that Canelo has fought since he's changed style to more of a pressure fighter. Wouldn't be surprised if its another case of Canelo needing some favourable cards on the judges to get the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Canelo up against it here.

6-2 Bivol

yessss

Always baffled me that Canelo took this fight. Bivol a completely different animal to the flawed fella's he's lined up the last few years since fighting GGG. Great performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Great job! Usyk fight looks far away now for Canelo. Nobody was willing to take me on on that

• Registered Users Posts: 56,237 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Haven’t watched it. But did say that surely Bivol could do better than Canelo’s last few opponents. Canelo has been getting very overrated these past few years. And all from beating not that great opposition.

Will watch later. Set the alarm and slept right through!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,053 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Bivol is a lovely boxer, won that well and bullied the smaller man.

I see that all 3 Judges gave Canelo the first 4 rounds and the 9th. Bivol only pulled ahead after the 11th and had to win the 12th to win.

Was a competitively fought fight. Bivol won with busier and more consistent work. Canelo could not sustain his attacks enough; his stamina has always been questioned.

• Advertisement

I guess that thought that a prime Froch beats Canelo isn’t so out there after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Fantastic performance from Bivol. Thought the judges were very kind to Canelo but at least they gave it the right way

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

115-113 was extremely generous to canelo. He was easily beaten here in my opinion. Don't know how an usyk fight was gaining traction. Canelo would be flatlined in no time.

One of the most disciplined fights I've seen from any fighter too from Bivol.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭squigglestrebor

Do judges just automatically start Canelo on plus 2 rounds? Its annoying because theres been so much awful judging scandals but this is still a scandal. Canelo was fairly dominated.

He lost the fight. Deservedly. But few rds very close to score.

I would not at all use the word dominate here. Canelo was quite competitive throughout. Contained is far more apt a description

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Shows how good Bivol's defense was when the only marks he had were on his arms.didnt see the final stats but looked like he was landing at least double the shots than canelo.

Fair enough , but you dont think the scoring was still a joke?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Would have thought pretty much everyone was of that opinion. Couldn't be anything but a handy Usyk win if it ever happened so therefore it probably won't.

I've always thought it'd be way and away a bridge too far infact and I've been sceptical of these jaunts to LHW but I must say while I thought Bivol would be good I expected canelo to be busier in the latter rounds and the judges to do their canelo thing.

Thankfully Bivol simply did not let that happen with systematic effective unrelenting output throughout.

I didn’t score the rds, but after 7/8 rds the analysts/punditry seemed to have it close.

Canelo won a few rds. Bivol won a few more. Some were close to call.

the fact that all 3 professional judges scored the same score tells me that your take isn’t all that justified.

I think squinn was more doubting that the fight would even take place. My view was that it would be attractive financially to Usyk. Huge pay, huge hype, and fighting a man clearly smaller. Whatever chance it had/has, that chance suffered a setback last night.

• Advertisement

My take is very justified, google it. Most had 117-111 at best. And also read the comments on here about the scoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

I dunno Walsh, the judges giving canelo the first 4 rounds is madness to me. I can't see how that's possible in any way.

The 'Average' Fan dad it 118-110 but the first 4 rounds were very close to 50/50

Having an opinion that it could be 8-4 or 9-3 is justified. You’re calling 115-113 a “scandal” is not justified. That is my point.

Bivol is a fairly small Light Heavyweight and there has been talk of him going to SMW for a long time.

I wonder could a rematch happen at 168 for Canelo's belts?

I think it is though, that Bivol went in needing to win that last round is scandalous. And most who watched the fight would agree . Anyway difference of opinion. Canelo has had form for some extremely favourable scoring so it is a sore point with me.

He’d be quite a big SMW if he could shed the 7 lbs. I think he’s a decent sized LHW

He never looks drained at all weighing in at 175 and normally his opponents are bigger than him. I think he is a lot smaller than the like of Callum Smith for example. I'm certain he has been asked about it before and has said he could make 168.

He doesn't have many options at LHW as Beterbiev is tied to a different promotional company.

• Advertisement

Not really seeing it. He may not look drained, but he does look solid and toned.

He’s 6 feet tall and was a LHW 10 years ago as an amateur, as well as having fought close to 180 lbs in the pro game.

I don’t see 168 lbs as easily as you do. And nor do I see his opponents as normally bigger than him.

Advertisement