Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moon Knight - Disney+ (***Spoilers***)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,134 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I don't think any of that was the issue, nor has it ever affected my enjoyment of shows/movies also aimed at different cultures. The issue was once they got rid of Cottonmouth, the main villain of Season 1 was just horrible. Season 2 was better paced and I liked Mariah and Shades (Bushmaster was okay but his motivations felt erratic), but Luke himself just felt bland by that point. It was obviously setting up for an evolution in his character for a Season 3 but we never got it.

Luke Cage wasn't the worst and had a strong supporting cast in Claire, Misty, Cottonmouth, Mariah and Shades. But I think the shorter episode counts of Hawkeye and Moon Knight helped prevent some of the pacing issues and padding of Luke Cage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,843 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I think you missed a few things I was asking:

Ethan Hawke being the psychiatrist, what was that about?

What exactly was mercenary Isaac doing at that tomb in Egypt when he got shot and became the Moon Knight?

And, why was Harrow / Ethan Hawke bleeding while in psychiatrist form at the end?

And yes there is lots of mumbling, but in fact a lot of it seemed to come from Ethan Hawke too... subtitles helped in the finale.

I rate this series slightly above Eternals (which was the worst of the MCU), but I don't think I'll be watching this one again. Pretty, but convoluted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,134 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I mean in fairness, "What exactly was mercenary Isaac doing at that tomb in Egypt when he got shot and became the Moon Knight?" - He was being a mercenary. He was hired by someone. Maybe someone looking for something related to the Gods, maybe just someone looking to steal from the tomb. Do we really need an explanation for it? At this point, it's not really relevant to the story or characters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,058 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Konshu (in fact all gods) needs an avatar as he can't properly interact with Earthly beings. He can choose to manifest himself to people but thats basically it. For anything physical he needs an avatar.

It was just an example of a spurious situation or coincidence people were found in purely for the convenience of supporting the story. Lazy writing really.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,790 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I assume everyone watched the post credit scene which answered a lot of the questions being asked here?

After the German and French translated credits?

There was a scene showing the 3rd personality coming forth.. but another one after that?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,790 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

yes, the last scene in the limo with harrow and Khonsu where the 3rd personality is identified.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I got that bit but they didn't need avatars to fight each other and they even tried to give us the impression that they could kill each other, certainly they were trying to have us worried for Konshu towards the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I

I didn’t miss them I just didn’t want to have to explain everything to you as it became clear while I was typing that there are only two reasons you couldn’t follow the story - one being that you did actually watch it or listen to it while it was on. The other reason is probably best left unsaid.

I suggest you give Doctor Strange 2 a miss. If you think Moon Knight is overly complex you haven’t a hope of following that film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

That finale was poor, I'm still waiting for this "darker than we've ever gone before" part to happen, like what the trailers led us to believe. The reveal on the credits was hardly a surprise either but does raise questions around balancing the scales when there was still 2 personalities (at least) remaining.

It was a by the numbers Disney archaeologist (with minor superhero side story) show and I can't see a season 2 being any darker.

....I really fear for the Obi-Wan show that's incoming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Of course it is but its not the type of dark that was implied in the pressers though.

“It’s been fun to work with Disney+ and see the boundaries shifting on what we’re able to do. There are moments [in the series] when Moon Knight is wailing on another character, and it is loud and brutal, and the knee-jerk reaction is, ‘We’re gonna pull back on this, right?’ No. We’re not pulling back. There’s a tonal shift. This is a different thing. This is Moon Knight.” - Kevin Feige

I don't feel we got this Moon Knight at all, in fact we barely got Moon Knight at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Possibly not helped that the strength of Moon Knight is a bit ill-defined- in any fight apart from the last he seemed indestructible. Layla seemed weaker as an avatar but still even being shot at by gus she didnt seem t be bleeding at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Overall a good addition to the MCU and hope we get a season 2 - even just for some more incredible acting by Isaac.

The show stands well by itself but with good nods to the MCU (other afterlifes) and could position character to interact with others in future, with or without a season 2.

Don't think it is fair to compare D+ shows and Netflix - that is an apples to oranges comparison. If you bring the Netflix shows down from a MA age rating to the level of D+ shows it would take away a lot of their appeal.

I know everyone is entitled to their opinion but seems like you may have very differing standards depending on the show. Having read the microscope you've put this show under I cannot grasp how you'd deem Legion as essential viewing.

I enjoyed Legion a lot but there is a never ending list of questions a person could raise from it similar to ones you're asking here but for Legion they are universally just shrugged off and never asked because of the weirdness.

Legion is supposed to be a psychedelic journey through the mind but it at least answers a lot of the questions by the end of the season. Moon Knight on the other hand seems to have the story jumping all over the place and lots of gaps left unfilled by the end of the season.

Grand.. so explain those items I listed @Spon Farmer 😁

So not only can you not follow the straightforward plot of a TV show you can’t follow my posts either.

I’ll make it simpler so you maybe understand.

No, I’m not going to spend my time typing out “The Idiots Guide to Moon Knight “ for you.

Everything you asked about is explained in the episodes and for a couple you have to interpret. The things in the show that are explained you seem to have missed entirely but this not surprising.

Maybe superheroes are not for you.

ok seems you are struggling to explain the few items I listed... surely it's a piece of cake for someone claiming "The story is incredibly straightforward." ?

• Advertisement

Again, you're entitled to your perspective so I am not going to go around in circles here but I just don't see any evidence of consistency.

You admit there are gaps left unfilled in Legion yet you look beyond them and deem it essential viewing, while at the same time demanding detailed explanation to relatively straight forward plot points in this show in the same genre.

I'd argue there are far fewer gaps in the Moon Knight story at the end of this season than there were with the first season of Legion, which had more episodes, and even has fewer gaps than when Legion wrapped up its final series.

So predictable that I didn’t bother to say you would post this.

Try watching a TV show with your eyes and ears directed at the screen. you might understand it then. Might.

4 times you were given an opportunity to explain a few basic plot items @Spon Farmer and 4 times you were unable to. Invariably proving my point, so..eh.. thanks?

Back on topic, I had a think about this and I guess the issue with this series is twofold:

• The other Marvel shows already had an extensive collection of films in place to develop the backstory and introduce the characters prior to their individual series runs. So, those like Loki or Wandavision, could purely concentrate on the main story and not have to spend half of each episode covering the backstory.
    • There were only 6 episodes given by the studio to balance a comparatively complex backstory, with a main story. That's 40 mins x 6 (4 hours) excluding credits/intro. Which resulted in barely scratching the surface of various plot points, leaving it up to us to fill in the blanks. Even Legion had 8 episodes, and that series was purely about the main character's state of mind and the evil entity causing it, but Moon Knight was about telling the story of the state of mind, balanced with the Egyptian avatar lore, balanced with Harrow doing his evil thing. In fact 8 episodes might have been what this series needed at a minimum. Definitely needed more than 4 hours.

EDIT: Found this article after that sums up what I was suggesting above nicely:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/moon-knight-storytelling-required-more-six-disney-episodes-1235140652/

Post edited by mrcheez on

”an opportunity to explain”?

Are you for real? You make this sound as though I owe you something.

”basic plot items”? Yes basic and you still can’t figure them out. Don’t you realise that the more you post about this the more thick you reveal yourself to be.

How about instead of posting here about how much you don’t understand you go and actually watch the series. Although if you have to trawl the internet looking for webpages to explain things to you then a second viewing is waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Oscar Isaac was class. The first episode was fantastic but unfortunately it went downhill from there. It wasn’t a bad show but definitely felt it was the weakest of the D+ shows.

don’t think Mohamed Diab was up to the challenge. If it does get a season 2 I’d say the series could benefit from a new show runner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭siblers

The action scenes in it were probably the weakest part of it. I'm glad there wasn't more action

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

I wouldn't mind someone explaining Psychiatrist Harrow's bloody footprints too. I didn't see the significance/importance of that. ...Oh and yes I did watch all the episodes and saw the cut scene after the credits.

The only thing I didn’t get is why there no connection of any sort to the wider MCU.

No I’m sure it has been said by others but if this didn’t have the Marvel logo at the start you wouldn’t know it was a Marvel character.

And the only hint that there may be other superheroes in existence is when the little girl ask Layla if she is an Egyptian superhero.

And the connection doesn’t have to be character crossovers or name dropping but the Snap is too big a deal for any movie or show not to mention it.

I couldn’t help but feel this series is disconnected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

I wouldn't worry about it Obi Wan too much, Disney Star Wars have been knocking it out of the park recently, Marvel Disney on the other hand...

• Advertisement

Yeah it was obvious what Khonshu was doing, when he said "I'll release you TWO"

Advertisement