Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heineken Champions Cup Quarter Final - Munster vs. Toulouse - Saturday, May 7th - Aviva Stadium

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

40,000 tickets sold... but maybe maths or vision aren't your best points... hope you enjoyed the game though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

Well done munster. Haven't felt like saying that for a long time. But finally looks like there's some unity and team spirit there.

Today proves we're closer to being deserving of a place at the top table in Europe again. Very happy about today's performance despite the outcome.

Feel for Healy. He has a brilliant future ahead of him, and I hope he can shrug off today as an off day and continue getting better.

Happy and proud to be wearing a munster Jersey as I type this. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Just on the train home now. Leinster fans here buty little lad was adamant he was going to to support Munster against Toulouse.

Unbelievable atmosphere considering the stadium was only 2/3 full.

Toulouse scrum was so strong in the first half. Peter O'Mahony is a gladiator - it was a privilege to watch him play today.

Gutted for Munster, losing a game on place kicks. There was a few points from missed kicks left behind during the regular 80 mins which is a real shame which should have had Toulouse out of reach at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

I seem to remember a certain Munster 10 missing some vital kicks in an important European game at the start of his career and he turned out okay......... hopefully the experience will be the making of Healy too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

right petal, you can work on your permutations now..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

That rushed drop goal attempt from Munster cost them dearly. Needed 1 more phase to give Healey more time. Shame. What an incredible effort from Munster, given the players missing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,456 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Jesus wept, that was 2 or 3 hours ago. Got under your skin did I?

**** off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Being a kicker is like being a prop....

When things go wrong, theres no hiding place and you get exposed for the world to see....

I felt bad watching healy there.....like i did for Tom Court in Twickenham a good number of years ago when he got rinsed.....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Well that confirms it, joey carbery is not the sexton heir. A complete bottle job with the missed penalties and then to top it off, he let's a kid take the hardest kicks when it should have been him taking the bull by the horns. Not a leader and it showed today.

• Advertisement

Great game all the same. That toulouse try in the second half was in the blink of an eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Gutted for Munster. Dreadful way to lose. But the future looks fantastic. Great match!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

After 100 minutes of rugby the game wasnt decided by scrums.

Munsters kicking from hand and placekicking was the biggest problem today.

Murray put up some terrible box kicks that led to Toulose scores. Twice

DDA should never kick the ball. He did 3 times today and all badly.

Carbery missed 6 points from the boot. You cant win tight games missing them kicks.

Healy could have won the game twice with his boot but he didnt.

We lost a kicking competition.

So the difference between the teams as far as i can see was in our terrible kicking at crucial times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Green shoots though in spite of the loss. Kendellan was superb, what a couple of months he's had, to the manor born. Aherne looks the part also. Healy and Casey should be around for many more years, Casey in particular looks ready to be a starter.

Wycherley at prop looks a real prospect, he's super in the loose also, great hands and good on the deck. Add in the likes of Hodnett, new centres and a hopefully fully fit and firing Snyman and there's an awful lot to be positive about.

There's been a marked improvement since Rountree was announced, hopefully that bodes well for the new coaching setup.

Tighthead is a worry next season, need someone to stand up like Wycherley. It's Archer and unproven others as it stands.

Still gutted, awful way to lose a game. We left points out there off the boot and tee, them's the margins.

Back the kids mentioned above for the rest of the season, why not!

Today was a coming of age for klendennen, a performance that he has shown himself to be capable of at times over the last few months.

He was exception from start to the end of extra time.

Its probably worth watching the game back to see his performance alone

He has given himself every opportunity of making the trip to NZ in the summer considering the midweek fixtures

That was gutting. Hard to watch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Top tier looked completely empty to me...just surprised that it wasn't a sell out considering the size of the game

Depending on how big the touring party is hopefully guys like J Wycherley, Ahern, Kendellan and JOD get spots.

Personally would back Healy too ahead of the other third choice options atm but today probably set him back the pecking order a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

10k more supporters than the Irish derby in the last round. Not bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,390 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Was at the game with amazing atmosphere from the crowd and when the cranberries were played before extra time ramped it up a gear, Zebo and Haley were clearly carrying injuries into the game, every Munster player gave his all today and unlucky not to come away with a win, Peter was a big loss going off to early, Munster is on the way back up with the young players coming through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭bluedex

Munster scored 2 tries directly from the drop outs from those missed pens, a net gain of 8 points....

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

The top tier was far from completely empty. 40k thru the doors, and the best atmosphere I’ve ever experienced in the Aviva. I’m not sure exactly why you were expecting a sell out tbh.

i am very proud of the lads but I m disappointed. I don’t think we got the rub of the green today, and on other days things may have gone our way.

1. there was a clear block on a defender for their first try.
    2. I think the yellow card should have been red. Compare that to some of the light reds.
    3. the final penalty of the 80 mins was not a million miles away neither was the final drop goal.
    4. I would be interested to hear feedback on their scrum technique. I think even stringer called one out as could have gone the other way.
    5. POMs injury was not timely.
    6. key players missing.

We are not a million miles away from the top table.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Not at all surprised that your confused.....

Your posts consistently point to the fact that you've no idea about rugby

No one questioning carbery not stepping up for the more difficult kicks instead of healy?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

We can read, but it's just full of inane drivel and offers nothing. All it says is 'Carbery isn't the heir to Sexton', well then who is?

Also, Healy has a bigger boot than Carbery does. Yes both of them missed kicks but Sexton has had his fair share of mares off the tee as well. It's rugby, it happens.

As always, you look at everything in isolation and in black and white. If Carbery pulled out a masterclass we wouldn't have seen you in this thread once.

You feed on misery and negativity all the time, and I think a large portion of people in this thread are just bored with it.

What are you on about? Your obsession with me is weird.

I wasn't asking anyone to respond to my post at all. I asked a question.

I wasn't talking about the penalties by the way. I was talking about the shoot out. From the right is a way tougher kick. Toulouse first choice kicker took the healy equivalent kick.

I don't think many in this thread actually know me as a poster, I don't post much in this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

The ones on the 22 were much of a muchness, both should be getting them from there so it didn't matter.

From the 10m, maybe the wind was going from left to right so it would have helped carbery with distance? Probably just at the limit of JCs range whereas Healy has that distance no problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Watched game live but didnt get chance to comment after as had to go to work.

First time in a while missing a game in Aviva. Seemed far better atmosphere than vast majority of games up there.

Tough to lose like that in Penalty kicks.

Some of the youngsters were top class. hope we can know see more of them be given shot ahead of some of the older guys now so Ahern, Wycherlys. etc.

Kendellen was something else tho! Knox and/or Salanoa next please!

Luke Pearce was great in middle. handled things well. could have boiled over at times and he was very good. told both sides what he wanted and delivered on what he said. exactly what you want from the officials.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

It's interesting to think about what's the best order to put your kickers in. In hindsight, I think Toulouse probably got it right, putting their best kicker second in the sequence. Munster gambled by putting their clutch kicker last, hoping the others would deliver, but they never got to use him a second time. Murray, Carbery, Healy would probably have been better.

POM injury was a result of a blatant side entry clear out right in front of the ref that should have been penalised but wasnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭daithi7

Great game of rugby, magnificent sporting occasion with all the travelling support, colour, etc

Munster were mighty in the contest.

Munster's scrum, those loose kicks in play, a few missed place kicks& drop goal attempts, Munster's defence getting unlocked 2 -3 times too easily, leading to Toulouse scores, were all costly error areas tbh. Other than that Munster were exceptional really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭TheRona

It would be interesting to see Leinster in the same scenario. Sexton has bottled from the right side of the pitch when under pressure more than once. The most notable I can think of was missing the chance to beat the All Black's in 2013.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭TheRona

Had the Zebo incident been mentioned? The head clash in the tackle which gave him a bloody lip and forced him off wasn't even looked at by the TMO, even though Munster players seemed to be questioning it. Seems very strange, with the way things are around head impacts these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭phog

What a game to be at, the best game I've been at in the Aviva including v The All Blacks.

Obviously gutted to lose it on penalties but Munster shot have won it in the first 80 and/or during extra time. Hard to win games when your scrum is under so much pressure but we still had enough scoring opportunities to win. I said it before the game (a few times) but going into knockout rugby without Beirne, Killer, Conway, etc just makes the ask more difficult. No blame though, hard fought game and Toulouse did enough to get it to penalties and obviously they got theirs, that's sport.

Munster Rugby and the Supporters Club and the Dublin Branch of the Supporters Club deserve huge credit for how they organised ticket pricing, buses and decking out the stadium in Munster Branding & Flags. It was like Home from Home.

The season isn't over yet but looking forward to next season Rowntree is getting a few players that are close to stars in the making, Kendellen was so composed yesterday he looked like a veteran, Aherne & the Wycherleys are fine prospects too, Hodnett was injured and a huge loss yesterday and has huge future ahead of him with Munster and possibly Ireland. I know Casey and Healy have a few more caps than the guys I just mentioned but again they should have a big future with Munster.

To recap, Great Day yesterday and plenty to look forward to next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

An absolute classic Heineken cup game.

The number of turnovers we won was phenomenal and our defence inside our own 22 was heroic.

The pack were always going to be under pressure at scrum time but I thought one or two of the scrum penalties against us seemed harsh with toulouse not driving straight and the Toulouse tighthead clearly pulling down another one.

Casey has probably never played in a game where the Munster scrum was being pushed off our own ball so hopefully the experience from yesterday will stand to him in future.

My wife was in the middle of laughing at how small he is and then he picked up a French man twice his size and drove him 5 yards backwards.

It wasn't a perfect performance but when you're playing at this intensity against a side as powerful as Toulouse there will be the odd handling error and there were from both sides.

Such a hard way to lose in the end but Munster did us proud and Toulouse are going to give Leinster something very serious to think about in the Semi final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭almostover

There will be much talk about how missed kicks cost us yesterday but I'm not sure if that's where the game was lost. Carbery's two misses lead to 2 tries for us so that had little impact on the outcome. Healy's missed pen in normal time was from 56m and I think the drop goal attempt was a little rushed. Ramos missed an easier drop goal attempt minutes before that. Really felt for Healy, was tough facing into the shootout having missed those two. Hoping he'll learn from this and can become a top player.

The real reason we lost was the set piece. Toulouse scored 2 tries from an utterly dominant scrum and the other from a pre rehearsed lineout move. For Munster to progress further we need to shore up our front 5. Really need a marquee front row signing this summer. Wycherley looks to be the answer at loose head and we have a decent second row but at no.2 and no.3 we're off the top level.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭joedamuss

Fully agree, the Munster men left everything out on the pitch today, the young players will learn so much from this defeat today, bottle all the pain and hurt and use it to drive you on to better things, feeling very positive about these young players and the new coaching ticket for the future, Munster Abú.

• Advertisement

The full game with French Commentary

Will want to have a re-watch of that, but some thoughts from my vantage point in the stadium:

• I’m obviously biased as they are the club I support, but sometimes it feels like there’s something extra special about Munster…
    • I’ve been at games v the All Blacks, and 6N games v England and Scotland etc. but that was the single best atmosphere I’ve ever experienced in the Aviva. By a mile.
    • POM will continue to be written off and eventually the naysayers will be right, but in the meantime he continues to deliver immense performances. He must be having one of his best ever seasons. Not the first time he’s left the field injured after securing a turnover for his team.
    • The defence was superb today, some brilliant scrambling between halfway and the 22 and we must’ve had 4-5 huge turnovers around the 5m line.
    • And some of our attacking play was excellent too. Farrell’s not been in great form of late, but he had 2 big involvements in both our tries.
    • The scrum was clearly the major point of difference. You’d have to think the stop-start nature, slowing down of the game aided Toulouse there. I thought we might see that change in extra time, as the sub front row who came on after 45 mins would tire, but that didn’t materialise at all.
    • It feels like almost every game, Earls shuts down 2-on-1’s like it’s routine.
    • DDA, unusually, kicked it twice v Exeter and I think 3 times yesterday. Fair to say it’s not his forte. We did seem to be getting good purchase from the grubbers in behind tho.
    • Goes without saying, but it’s a brutal way to decide a match… some great performances tho and hopefully the young players, not least Healy, will take a lot from that. The day delivered everything we could have wanted but the result. But encouraging stuff for the new management team.

^^^^

3rd bullet point is 100% correct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

That was without doubt my best experience in the Aviva. The footage doesn't do it justice.

• Advertisement

It's amazing that Archer has had a career at all.

Just catching up on the thread, but stuff like this just looks silly when you consider 1) the Toulouse front-row and sub-front row are monstrous and 2) it was the day when Archer became joint 2nd highest for Munster appearances.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭VayNiice

Fair play to Archer for 200+ caps but he has always been a very poor scrummager and should have been moved on long ago. He has been helped a lot by Munster not having a top TH since BJ Botha.

Credit to Munster for a great match and i'd loved for them to have won but their scrum was absolutely crucified. Archer is an abysmal scrummager, he had his arse handed to him and with Kleyn behind him he should have good pressure coming from behind. I really couldn't see him getting any game time at any of the other provinces. I don't think Kilcoyne would have improved matters much and to be fair Ryan didn't do well either.

Munster have a lot of exciting young players coming through and hopefully Wycherley will learn a lot from yesterday but Munster really need to shore up their scrum if they've any hopes to progress further in the next few years. I'd be giving the young TH's a good chunk of time from the get go next year as they'll leap frog Archer fairly quickly.

“Abysmal scrummager” is way too strong; it can happen, particularly when up against the calibre of opposition he was against. It happened Leinster against Saracens a few years ago when they had Vunipola, George and Koch in the front row.

He was bested by a serious unit yesterday. But to go from that to “it’s amazing he’s had a career at all” is ridiculous.

• Advertisement
Advertisement