Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Congrats to Laois but anyone with their head in the sand in the county board before this should have alarm bells ringing now

Didn't Kierans and CBS contest the equivalent Leinster schools final?

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭corner back 2

I was at the Wexford and Dublin games and this team seems to have gone backwards. Decision making, first touch and shooting were way off the required standard. Laois didn't even have to play that well to beat them. Hard to know where it went wrong but in reality they weren't good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

I presume Cody is to blame for the minors loss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

Laois to play Offaly in the final.

Laois made better use of possession. KK some bad wides. KK never really threatened a goal chance. Laois looked more likely to score a second. Jer Quinlan Laois full forward 1-3 from play.

I've attended a good few underage club games in Kilkenny over the last 3 years. While I see a lot of good hurlers I don't see many outstanding ones. At an O'Loughlin Gael v Barrow Rangers U13 game last night which the later won. O'Loughlin had a few good players but disappointing for a town side. I know that's a young age group and fellas can improve rapidly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

I think the results tell more about the drop in standards of Leinster as a whole rather than Kilkenny per say. Neither Offaly nor Laois will get within an ass's roar of the All Ireland. Schools hurling is not even near being a barometer of standards anymore either. Places like Cork and Tipperary don't really go out of their way to send kids to specifically strong hurling schools anymore. I suppose Limerick and Clare do to counter that but the likes of Ard Scoil Ris is slap bang in the middle of Patrickswell,Adare ,Ballybrown on one side and Sixmilebridge, Cratloe and Clonlara on the other with Na Piarsaigh and a few city clubs in the middle.

What's worrying for Kilkenny is the coaching. Kilkenny is no longer innovative. When Kilkenny was setting the standards Munster teams were still trying to play some ground hurling. When they finally stopped that ( foe better or worse) they caught up with Kilkenny and have passed them out coaching wise. That's for sure.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

A shocker, no rhythm in their play all day, never even looked like scoring a goal, terrible wides. Ball in to forwards yet again for a Kilkenny team, simply atrocious.

Lyng at CB looks a real prospect but hard to see anything else beyond that.

Well done to Laois but the standard of that minor match compared to what we saw from likes of Cork or even Galway last year was miles off

Laois and Offaly to contest final, neither county has a school playing in A. Incredible 

Badly need the U20s to give us a lift

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭dzer2

I said this a while back and got ran out the door. Maybe a few if ye should go watch matches. I see way better hurlers on club teams than get sent to the development squads. Its time the county board set up a system where the players are looked at in different matches and called in rather than daddy sending them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

It never stopped Kilkenny having good teams across the grades to Senior before, when Leinster was poor. The last time a Leinster team won a minor all ireland, other than Galway or Kilkenny was Offaly in 1989. So it's been poor at the grade over 30 years. No news there.

So either way KK are slipping. You're probably right about Offaly and Laois, but don't write them off completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Definitely something wrong with the development squad model. It's hard to know if it's talent identification, coaching or other reasons. But the main thing is there is very little development happening. Players are not coming back to clubs better than they went in. The resources should be there to bring a player on. Are individual players given specific work to help them with weaknesses they may have or is it a one size fits all approach. I know of one player who has gone through the whole system without ever been given any coaching on positional sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

Today is further confirmation that Kilkenny hurling is in its biggest crisis for a long time. We are not producing young hurlers with adequate skill levels. Add to that at older levels, our strength and conditioning is not good enough. Further, our game plan is totally outdated.

The latter 2 could be fixed in a couple years with the correct regime in place. The production of young hurlers is the most serious concern. A crisis committee is required to address this issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Achilles Knee

It kinda shows that Cody can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear with what's coming through.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Have to agree on this re development squads. 1 trial game for many lads before they got shoved out the door. Have a look at minor club matches this year and you will see. Certainly if there were south/north development sessions for a month or 6 weeks with 3 times the numbers then you could assess better.

One thing that was very noticeable was the striking to hand which was very slow and boring accurate enough. Lads having to control a ball off the ground or when the pass doesn't go to hand accurately.

Then the layoff under pressure seems to get intercepted too often.

These are simple things to sort if the will and time is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭jimmythesulk

Actually think today's results may be for the better for kilkenny. A stronger laois and offaly would make leinster more competitive and mean our players will have to up our standards in order to be successful. Like it or not munster is the strongest province at present and the reigning all ireland winners at all grades come from that province. For young hurlers in Kilkenny the leinster minor hurling championship and with that also the secondary schools hurling competitions in Leinster are so poor, that many of our young players are regularly getting easy games and aren't really testing themselves, which in my opinion is the best way to develop young players.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Marrooned

To sick to comment on that display today But just one thing for now how can anyone send in a chap 4 foot tall on two Laois backs and expect him to score and two lads eight foot tall doing f... all looking in at him ,now Rory Glynn tried his heart out. We had more wides in the first half than they had in the whole match. As for the free taking it was appalling to watch. I’m signing off now before I say something I could regret.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Just on Offaly/ Dublin wasn't shocked at the result, i know there was high hopes for that Offaly team after reaching the Tony Forrestial final in 2019 ( lost it to Tipp). Actually think Laois will be underdogs in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Wonder would it do Leinster good to have Galway competing at u17 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Time for Kilkenny to bring in Joe Canning.....

No, but he is not blameless for the ethos that now dominates Kilkenny hurling, the style of hurling we undertake, particularly when chasing a game.

The ballooned ball in to forwards today was yet again stone age. That template of hurling has become ingrained in to Kilkenny hurling and needs to stop.

That team today has some fine hurlers but they had a horror day on shooting and then panicked when chasing the game. Most are U16, but to be honest the sooner we move back to a single underage level (U19) the better. U17 is too young, U20 now too old (as shown by the number of players ruled out as they are already playing senior.

Kilkenny has always had hurlers and at a time when I doubt we have ever had more young people playing it, that points clearly to poor coaching. IE If we could produce consistently good hurlers and teams for 120 years, why cant we when we have never had more players? Statistically it doesn't make sense. That therefore points to coaching. The template for how we play hurling has become predictable and crude at all levels, led from the top.

Letting Cody continue endlessly citing a poor production line, essentially a strategy of "at least he will keep us competitive" is a total kop out solution for me.

Post edited by Alonzo Moseley on

Of course it would. It would make things more competitive and sure we may not win as many leinster titles but it would means standards would need to improve to win them and that can only be a good thing. Should happen at schools level too. Take many of today's team won a junior schools earlier in the year with kierans. A big write up in the kilkenny people about their final versus cbs. Reality is they won two matches to win the thing and one of them was a complete mismatch. Not sure how that helps to develop players. Allow galway schools such as Athenry and gort into these competitions as well as combined offaly and laois schools sides and now you've got a proper competition with plenty of games to test these young players. No doubt alonso will be along to disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭usernamethatsnotinuse

Once they keep it as round robin or league it would be good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭usernamethatsnotinuse

Who would you wish it on at this stage? Expectations are way off for what’s available to work with

The U16 schools had an AI competition up til 2019 and was inexplicably dropped after a number of terrific finals.

I'd support efforts to bring Galway schools in to Leinster and also their minor team (but the round robin has suited them really well and I doubt they will give it up).

I am not a fan of combined schools teams . I'd say most lads would prefer to win a B or a C with their school than play in A with lads they dont even know, that's just a county team in reality.

This idea that schools hurling, and Kieran's in particular, is doing damage to Kilkenny hurling is in my opinion madness. Schools is about the only area of underage hurling where we are still winning. About the only area of underage hurling where opposition dont laugh at how we try to play the game.

Derek Mc Grath who helped out with Laois today, will have told them not to be overawed, stick to how they were coached, what they practised. The hope being Kilkenny would revert to crude hurling if Laois could get ahead, and we did.

I'm not saying we are awash with talent but feel the biger issue is that the county (at all levels) has a template for how to play and it's failing, being exploited by people who are actually thinking smartly.

Jack Charlton got great results but no one would suggest the way he asked the senior team to play would be a proper template for underage.

It's depressing, even when we were only winning an odd AI we were still regarded as the stylists, we always played a great brand.

I think you will find that all in galway aren't necessarily thrilled with the entering at the round robin and maybe would prefer to enter the Leinster Championship in order to develop players. Brian Hanley last year was in the papers giving out about a lack of games for Galway teams , and that minor is really about developing players.

And I am not blaming kierans, even though I am not a fan of the way they operate. What I am saying is that the Leinster Schools A Hurling Competitions are not really fit for for purpose due to the lack of schools in them and a lack of competitive games. Kids need plenty of games to develop. Bringing in more games can only help our young players.

Another bugbear of mine is the amount of walkovers giving at club level for underage football matches. In the modern game the skills and the physicality learned playing football can also help to develop young hurlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭The Birchfield Boy

Has anyone blamed the ref Yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

It's worrying but not as bad as what's gone wrong down in Cork at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Galestorm1

Personally I feel that the current u17 process is wrong. First of all they are still young kids and need as many games as possible to develop. But with the current system the kilkenny u17 squad are not released to play in the club u17 league games. To me that is sending the wrong message to young players. Club comes first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Well done to Laois first and foremost.They beat wexford and kk so best if luck to them in the final. Look every county can have a good or bad minor or u20 crop every few year but our underage is probably a shambles.Nearly 10 years since we won a minor and 15 since we won u20. I know you can say underage doesn't guarantee anything and clare for example have being in the media were dreadful underage and took big beatings and yet have some good young players but in a county like kk where its All hurling this is a shocking return.Someone said this might be no harm because something might be finally done. I doubt this very much and there'll be nothing done. For the first time in recent years We've heard ex player's questioning our tactics and did we need a change in management but it looks like things have remained static.It took us till last year to look at what we're at underage and get something as basic as a gym and as someone said here before ciarian muldowney was under pressure to get this role despite what was happening clearly wasn't working and by all accounts was badly run. The county board dont want to spend a penny and just full of yes men. We said here last year cork/offally and clare got their act together and the county board took a lot of criticism but they've all passed us out underage, we have our heads stuck in the sand a full root and branch is desperately required but there's not a hope anything will be done.Theres arrogance in the county that there's plenty of young lads there and ah they're too young but the stats don't lie we're as far away from winning an all Ireland at underage and senior as we've ever being. Dissapointing and worrying times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

I don't have great hopes for our U20's even if they win the Leinster final. Galway were the better team on the day even though they had a couple of their best players with the senior team. We got a freakish amount of frees and a lucky goal. To me, Limerick,Tipperary and Munster in general look to be miles ahead at U20 age and Munster look to be miles ahead at minor level. We are falling further away from the top table.

Would love to be proved wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

I think that's a bit harsh to be fair. Galway fouled a lot in that game preventing clear scoring chances and as someone pointed out here that has been a clear tactic of Galway underage teams in recent years which came home to roost against a lethal free taker like Drennan.

Also, we should have wrapped that game up in normal time but missed some great chances in the last few minutes. I would question the impact those missing seniors would have made to the result. None of them are pulling up any trees at senior level and it appears Shefflin has them in there for the long term. Greg Thomas is on with their seniors and he was taken off last week.

I would agree that the standard overall in Munster was better but that's hardly ours or Galways fault. Also by no means does this mean we will win tomorrow, we still have it all to do as far as I'm concerned. Plus Limerick look favourites to win outright to me. What I would say is that there are plenty of players from that team with the ability to develop further and make good senior players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 M7599

What games were you at dzer2? While KK minor game was on in Portlaoise our U16s minus those involved with the minors were hurling in Nowlan Park. There are at least 10 players underage again next year so the team in Nowlan Park will be supplemented by these players.

I believe that some posters need to really to have a think about their comments. Saying they don't blame the players and them naming them or referring to them by their positions is surely unacceptable. Most of these lads are either 15 or 16. Our county minor team is mainly made up of lads doing junior cert or transition year. They don't look like kids but they are. Although they might not read these pages someone else will and pass it onto and show them the comments. It is essentially a form of bullying and lads needs to consider the potential impact and consequences of their comments.

I was in portlaoise yesterday and it wasn't our best performance but those lads put in over 90 team sessions and probably as many individual sessions themselves. They trained as hard as any other team and gave their best. They were as proud to wear the Kilkenny jersey as any other girl, boy or adult that went before. Their pain is fair greater than anyone's here. I've watched many of them since they were 5/6 years of age and like most previous teams, winning or not, some will progress to senior county hurlers, most won't.

I do believe that we need a change in the development squad model to involve more players, more coaching, more qualified and different types of coaches. This would cost money but if we don't we are will continue to struggle. The players are willing but they need to be supported.

Advertisement