Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home heating oil

Options
  • 07-09-2014 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but just wondering if anyone knows how much home heating oil I need to put in for them to deliver?

I'm moving house in 6 weeks time, and obviously don't want to put in too much. Someone told me they don't deliver unless I buy €200 worth? €200 is too much as I usually get 4 months with that amount. Ideally I'd like to get €100 worth.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It can vary depending on the company you call, call them and they'll be able to tell you what the min order value is.
    I'd imagine it'll will around the 200 euro mark, it certainly is with any providers I've called.

I believe some garages and company's sell small amounts of home heating oil in containers which you can bring home and put in your tank, this might be a more suitable option as 100e worth of oil is likely not worth the time/cost for a tanker to come out to your home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Nono Toure wrote: »
    Hi,

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but just wondering if anyone knows how much home heating oil I need to put in for them to deliver?

I'm moving house in 6 weeks time, and obviously don't want to put in too much. Someone told me they don't deliver unless I buy €200 worth? €200 is too much as I usually get 4 months with that amount. Ideally I'd like to get €100 worth.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Ah, just a thought but have you considered phoning some oil companies and asking them if they would deliver €100 worth of oil?, what "help" are you expecting?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

Would you not just buy a 5 gallon drum and buy a drums worth or two every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

as others have said try to find some place that sells drums of heating oil for about 20 euro :

http://homefuel.ie/products.php?supplier-id=&cat=11

http://watsonhire.ie/?product=emergency-home-heating-oil

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

Our local garage does kerosene at a pump, you just bring your own drum think its 99c a litre which isn't too bad. You may have to tilt your tank though op to cover the filter otherwise you could end up with air in the system.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭chimmy chonga

Anyone know why home heating oil is going up in price while the likes of brent crude is the lowest price (under $100 a barrel), it's been in 17 months??:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

There's always a considerable lag in prices from traded prices to the pumps because of advanced purchasing deals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭chimmy chonga

There's always a considerable lag in prices from traded prices to the pumps because of advanced purchasing deals.
    I can understand that - but I'd love to know what the Irish oil companies have paid for their current stock. If oil had shot up in price last week on the world market we would see an increase right away.

I can understand that - but I'd love to know what the Irish oil companies have paid for their current stock. If oil had shot up in price last week on the world market we would see an increase right away.

It might feel that way but you don't actually.

You might want to compare the price now to this time last year. It's well down.
    http://www.cheapestoil.ie/articles/trend.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 69,009 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its down about 6 cent a litre, the scaling on that graph gives very different ideas. Still adds up but it's not huge.

• Advertisement

It's still a 3 year low all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Donnie2020

Just a Q'

Would collection of heating oil at a depot be cheaper instead of it being delivered? Surely I'm cutting out that cost or does that even matter??

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

If you have your own certified tank and can take the large input pumps from the main storage tanks, you might save €20 on 1000 litres - if they could be bothered to do the paperwork

Margins are miniscule. Even if you were to buy 20,000 litres, the saving would be tiny.

You can buy small quantities in many garages where you can fill up 10l or 20l fuel cans. Mainly located in rural areas but a few in main cities too.

Diesel demand drops in summer, so that should see refining margins drop and bring a drop in kerosene

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Donnie2020

:D :D :D Not even worth the thought so. Together with the mess that comes with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭sundodger5

2014 thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,827 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Advertisement