Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Expanse (Amazon) [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah was flagged before but good to get a reminder the show isn't the last we'll see of this world outside the written word. I'd love if there was a proper tactical space battle game, something that mimicked the more physics accurate battles; not sure how you'd make waiting for hours before torpedo's hit you "fun", but not impossible either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

The funny thing about this show is that it pops up in my mind from time to time - and then my youtube recommendation doesnt help lol.

I have the opening soundtrack in my daily playlist ha (i may add this violin cover), and then damn:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Finally watched the last episode after putting it off for 2 weeks 😔 can't believe that's the end of it, now have the read the last 2 books after putting them off for fear of being finished with this universe.

Just finished the last book. Now I'm gutted, that it's finished, for a 2nd time

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Damnit, thought - hoped even - this might have been an update about a new season or some update.

Finished the last book myself the other week; a deeply bittersweet ending but was there ever going to be anything different?

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Useless Lump

I’m on Season 2 so no spoilers please.

Is each episode of the web series One Ship meant to be watched with each episode with the corresponding number of season 6 ? And should they be watched before or after?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

I watched each one after the corresponding episode but, given that they were available at the same time as each episode released, before/after won't really make any difference. They flesh out some of the main characters and don't directly relate to the overall storyline.

I’ve only just started season 3 so no spoilers please.

I just have a question regarding the science and technology of the series.

In season 3 episode 2 during the rescue of the Razorback the loose tools fly around and disconnect Prax’s air hose and he immediately begins to suffer from loss of oxygen. How come Amos is able to breath when he disconnects his own oxygen supply help Prax ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,807 ✭✭✭Evade

The difference between diving underwater and being pulled, when you do it yourself you're prepared. Also tiniest spoiler for season 5

Amos tells a story about how he had to hold his breath for 3 or so minutes while still doing relatively strenuous activity.

So Prax was only in danger because he panicked?

I have no idea why you would add a spoiler about season 5 but I’m not going to read it or be back in this thread anytime soon.

Thanks for answering the question.

Panic or he had exhaled just as the line was cut. The spoiler I included was a further explanation as to why Amos would have been less affected but it's in a scene from season 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,295 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

That spoiler is one of Amos best scenes.

Also for anyone into the books Memories Legion the complete novella collection was just released. First time they were ever released as real books.

Prax was a civilian and, IIRC, someone who grew up and lived entirely on solid ground (albeit on a colony on Ceres(?)). Space travel would have been a bewilderingly new and dangerous experience so a sudden loss of oxygen wouldn't be something he'd know how to deal with. Amos is probably the most Capable Man in that universe and would know what to do.

Bit like how, IIRC, the advise when finding yourself in a vacuum is to expel all the air from your lungs, even though your panicky brain says to hd your breath. I think there's something similar with being caught by a sea current; to relax and not fight it. Half of training is to fight your instincts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I’m only on season 3 so spoilers please - spoiler avoidance is why I cannot look this up myself.

Is the Belter accent based on a real accent or have the actors developed it themselves? And I didn’t mean the Belter language just the accent.

Also can someone explain why Belters don’t all speak the Belter language. Miller and many others just speak normal English.

• Advertisement

Its supposed to be a sort of mesh of different accents like the language. Lots of different pidgin accents in particular were used but as the show goes on new actors kinda copy the better ones and you hear the Ashford and Drummer versions a lot more. Miller on the other hand speaks like an inner as he is a bit like in the British Empire when certain locals usually in the public/civil service affected an English accent.

The book version is just a few words taken from non English languages and changed or melded. It has no actual structure but the TV show hired a linguist who gave it rules and structure.

Betraying linguistic ignorance here but I think Belter is more of a patois than a language. In the books it's more obvious cos you'll read sentences that are a big smorgasbord of different, separate languages; bits of French, German etc. This all coming from the big goldrush of peoples when the solar system first opened up. The stronger the accent usually a shorthand for class or generational status within a given station.

Thanks.

(No spoilers reminder again ;) ) Is there much of a difference between the novels and the TV series?

I’d be interested in reading the series sometime.

I’m not even half way through this series and I would love if Amazon made more series, movies or mini series set within the world of the Expanse about new characters and situations.

Is there a way to tag members so that they know I responded without needing to quote?

@Spon Farmer to tag without quoting.

The Expanse was developed as a MMORPG so had multiple character and plot possibilities to reach the same narrative goal.

Books and series are adapted from these to yeah there are differences but lead to same endgame.

Well worth reading the series

• Advertisement

@Evade

thank you ;)

That is interesting.

Did they just decide along way to turn it into a book series or are the books the result of not being able to sell the idea?

There's a TTRPG set before the events of the series too if that's your thing

I was well proud of myself for knowing what an MMORPG is about then you hit me with a new acronyms :(

:D

Are the game rules complex ?

Those would be my thing if I had the focus for learning the rules. I bought my m robes a Dungeons & Dragons starter kit two years ago and we still haven’t take the time to learn how to play.

TTRPG === Table Top Role Playing Game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭emo72

With all the content they are looking for can't understand why this isn't been made any more. So many streaming platforms, and they are looking down the back of the sofa for things to film. Beggars belief

I assume they stopped making it because that particular story is finished.

Yeah, I don't think having a team try to create more stories in the universe without a framework in place already would be anything but disappointing.

• Advertisement

Nope

Wrapped up very well but loads more material there

Yeah, I forgot about that. Now that you reminded me I wonder if the plan is to

come back to it in a few years and reduce the time-skip down to a decade or so.

I skimmed the TTRPG rules, it sounds fun. The dram dice "critical" system that sounds like it would stop the sessions from getting a bit mechanically samey and money is a stat which cuts down on the occasional needless looting, or is that just my group?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭somuj

Who blew up the Donager in first series? Was it Pier

Ya it was the stealth ships from the private fleet.

I just finished season 3

this series just keeps getting more epic and I don’t understand how it isn’t insanely popular

I really like that Ashford wasn’t a bad guy - what he was doing made sense and he was trying to save the human race.

I don’t want any spoilers and I’m not sure if this can be answered with out them. The closing montage showed Drummer visiting Ashford who is confined to a bed in what seems to be a sickbay. He didn’t seem to be badly injured after Clarissa attacked him.

Has he had a mental breakdown from the decision he made? Are we meant to wait to find out later what is wrong with him?

if it it can’t be answered without spoilers just tell me to wait and see. ;)

Belters are kind of frail and weak compared to normal Earthers let alone one with Clarissa's mod. Being in a sickbay after that head slam isn't a stretch at all.

• Advertisement

Thank you. I had forgot about the physical differences.

I wasn’t suggesting it was a stretch or even that it didn’t make sense - I had no doubt it made sense but I just couldn’t figure it out.

The limitations of live action. The Belter's should all look more like the OPA smuggler that was gravity tortured in season one

Okay, I didn’t know that. I thought that the some Belters are different based on the conditions in which they grew up or are later affect by gravity, etc in their work.

So Miller and Naomi should like that too?

It would be very interesting if they had been able to do this for all Belters in the show.

Can't remember if Miller was a belter, but yes Naomi should also be thin and tall; at least Dominique Tipper kinda had a vaguely similar physique. Some of the casting from the later seasons seemed to completely forget that requirement altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Dominique Tipper is tiny, nothing like how belters are described in the books. Miller was a belter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭emo72

All this is irrelevant though. I don't want to see this thread bumped to the first page unless it's someone saying it's been renewed for a couple of more seasons!

• Advertisement

Real world problems made them not bother with the height thing and go for the punk look to denote Belters.

Even Miller wasn't Belter looking enough for the books. The closest outside of gravity torture guy was the street protester OPA guy.

I think her physique was close enough I could suspend my disbelief, or disappointment anyway, that Naomi wasn't 2 metres tall.

Unlike Cyn in Season 5; whoever cast him clearly didn't get the brief, or didn't care anyway. TBH even a Hollywood movie, with millions of FX dollars, would have struggled with the Belters - not without completely tumbling into the Uncanny Valley.

I had a quick check on Google and no news, not so much as a rumour, of a Season 7. I think that's all we're going to get.

They could have just kept hiring skinny 6ft + people but that would put a serious limit on casting. The show was too low budget for any cgi that wouldn't look crap.

They could have just hired any and all of the local basketball players in the area 😂

I was thinking on the budget, and I reckon as they go The Expanse possibly had more wriggle room than most, despite a comparatively low total. Because being predominantly set on windowless spaceships meant there were fewer green-screen shots to process.

Ok, there was a lot - a LOT - of FX around those snazzy, floating UIs they had with their tech devices, but they were often quite discreet. While the exterior shots in space always looked amazing for their budget.

The season 1 fx were not great and that's when the belter decision was made.

The protomolecule shots looked poor in s1 too.

I also only realized last night that Fred Johnson is Klyden from Orville. He is equally great as Z in Sunny and Cutty in the wire.

• Advertisement
Advertisement