Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Ah come on, it's a huge blow. We needed a City draw before and now we need them to lose. That's a big shift. They have only lost three games all season. I'm not giving out - we did incredibly well to get into this position and still have lots to play for. But the result last night makes it much less likely we will win it. And it was always unlikely. We really needed to beat City in the game a few weeks ago.

I thought we actually played really well in the first half but needed to score in that spell just before half time. Salah looks like he is firmly back into his rut. It looked like he was coming out of it a few weeks ago but last couple of games he looks spent. I don't think we have done a great job of managing his minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

For the record, I've no issues with Conte's approach.

Any team that does that takes the gamble that Trent might be off his crossing game, or enough of the front 3 are off it that they can limit our chances.

They took the chance, and they came out with a draw.

On another day Trent gets a couple of those countless crosses into a decent area and we score.

It is what it is. If teams were to continue to bet that our full backs will cross badly, and Mane and Salah will be off form at the same time, then teams will lose that bet 19 times out of 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Tbh,If someone said to me you can win both fa cup and cl,or the premier lge, I'd snap their hand of for the premier lge,to me it's the main one to win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭antimatterx

CL always for me. League is great and all, but big ears is the ultimate goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Still can't believe we didn't get any big Divock last night. Surely given his record he was worth a punt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah thought he would go Origi ahead of Keita as there was a lot of balls being fired into the box and we had good control of the midfield.

Klopp was straight over to Son at the full time whistle, he seems to be a big admirer of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

I'd imagine Klopp said something to Son about how good he would be in a team who try to play and win.

Just looking at the table, even a small loss from City is no guarantee, they have chipped away at our goal difference advantage too, currently +1 in our favour with them having a game in hand.

Be a killer to lose it that way.

Also, if Klopp made a mistake last night, it was starting Konate instead of Matip.

Trent was terrible for it, and the communication between him and VVD was non existent to allow Kane saunter through, but it all came about from a needless header into midfield under no pressure, when he could've kept possession easily.

It's a small detail, and Konate wasn't bad last night, but I was concerned when Konate started the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Agreed. The possibility of a club winning it, or at least getting very far in it every season, is what attracts the top players, simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Think a lot of supporters see league title number 20 as being monumental. Equalling United domestically, whilst not knocking them off their perch, we are back on it aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,488 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Opposite, I'm most optimistic . I have every faith when others lose theirs. I think for sure there is another twist, as it stands it's still a last day shootout, literally now, with GD.

If Villa did win on last day, and we won our remaining games it's the GD that counts. The Anfield advantage is gone for now, we don't play at home again until the final day of the season, hopefully something to play for on that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Salah implied after winning the Champions League that was for the players and now they would win the league for the fans.

I think most players see the Champions League as the one to win themselves and it is the most watched sporting event in the world every year so that is where the eyes are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭passatman86

Newcastle are the in form team compared to west ham and wolves are they not

Yip, prior to the LFC v NU match last week they were 1st and 2nd in points gained since January 1st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Nothing has changed since the draw with Man City

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

what ? City now have the luxury have drawing a game instead of pressure of having to win them all and also importantly win today and Liverpool superior GD is wiped out which could yet come into play if City lose 1 match before end of season.

Eh, yes it has, where a draw or loss by MC would have opened the door, now a draw will not be enough. That changes things considerably, particularly going into todays game where they will be buoyed by last nights result, having been crestfallen by what happened in Madrid. You could argue that they are unlikely to drop any points, but what a pisser it would be if they draw today.

I always thought they needed to lose a game, or 2 draws as I expected thr Spurs game to end in a score draw, so as far as I am concerned nothing has changed.

City can afford to draw a game now, it would put them a point ahead. We now need a defeat for City......... if I'm right

City with one draw, and 3 wins take them to 93pts, We can only get a possible 92pts

• Advertisement

Everton winning, leeds losing.

Now Leeds are the ones in bottom 3, they looked so safe and solid with change of manager.

Faith will play it's part, as it did in Madrid. If it's meant for us, then I have no fear that City will lose a game and we'll win 3. I believe right now the quad is meant to be.

Most importantly for us, WH have a win today by the looks of it, 0-3 up. That is huge for them and us, as next SUnday WH play City, with so much to play for , WH want Europa League again, and it's very possible if they beat City.

West Ham will have Europa League football to play for against City anyway.

Some amount of speculative assumptions there. The reality is going into this weekend Liverpool were 1 point behind with superior GD and unfortunately exposed now to the possibility of being 3 points behind City and worse GD to boot. I’d love to be wrong though

Always needed City to drop points and being honest we would all prefer that was a defeat, yes a draw would have been nice but that meant Liverpool would have had to have been perfect including beating Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Not even a hope of the mighty Shelvey to help us out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Lots of talk about us requiring City to lose a game now, but I think them actually drawing 2 is more likely (away games at Wolves & West Ham). And that's not even very likely unfortunately.

It's highly unlikely.

Soms people still underestimate how machine-like this City team are.

Sure they've scored already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Was a long shot for Newcastle to do us a favour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I don't see the issue with Klopp's comments on Spurs' style. I don't think he was criticising them, more than he didn't like the style they played and he wouldn't coach that himself because it's his preference to play attacking football. He gave them praise for doing it well.

Newcastle are sh1te there was never a chance they were going to get anything out of this.

All the talk of Howe for manager of the year was nonsense Newcastle won games against Leeds, Everton, Villa, Brentford, Brighton, Palace, Wolves, Leicester, Norwich & Southampton teams they should be beating after spending £100m in January

When they came against a real top half team they lost or drew Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool West Ham and now they look like they will lose to City.

Goal difference is going to become an issue next.

If they start piling on goals, the hope will truly be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭IamMe33

That's the goal difference advantage gone.

City hav a habit of stuffing the dross early in matches and dispiriting them from any hope of a comeback.

Newcastle are going to get mullered here.

A defeat to Villa on Tuesday, and City could win it on Wednesday against Wolves.

We all dreamed of a situation where Gerrard beat City on last day and handed us the title, but Gerrard could actually beat us in two days and hand City the title.

• Advertisement

Ideally we win on Tuesday, and go top on goal difference, need to keep pressure on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Thoughts on summer transfers I'd like to see happen and basing it on Salah leaving on a free next summer when his contract expires.

We need cover for RB, DM and RW.

For that I'd go Ramsey, Tchouamemi and Raphina. All players we've been linked with previously.

For those three you'd be looking at £100m -110m I'd imagine? £60m for Tchouamemi, £40m for Raphina (poor form and Leeds being relegated will have reduced the price for the previous £50m rumoured) and £5m for Ramsey.

Then to offset some of the incomings we could sell Ox and Taki for £30m combined. A higher net spend than usual but we've generated more income this season.

After that then you'd have the following squad -

GK - Ali & Kelleher.

LB - Robbo & Kostas.

CB - VVD, Matip, Konate & Gomez.

RB - TAA & Ramsey.

DM - Fabhino & Tchouamemi.

CM - Thiago, Henderson, Kieta, Millie, Elliot & Jones. Obviously Tchouamemi can play here as well.

LW - Mane & Diaz.

CF - Bobby & Jota.

RW - Salah & Raphina.

Then you go big on Bellingham the following year to replace Millie with Hendo and Thiago having their minutes managed more as well.

You could give Jones next season to see how he progresses but if he doesn't improve I'd expect him to be sold.

I think Bobby and Mane will extend their contracts for three years but may be the backups to Diaz and Jota.

Would be one hell of a squad to start next season with even if it is a bit bloated but that'll be required with the WC in the middle of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

5-0

fck

You left out Carvalho

• Advertisement

I did but expect him to be eased into the squad next season so I wasn't expecting much playing time.

I have a feeling he will be thrown right into the mix myself.

3-0 gave City a +2 GD today so if they do lose 1 narrowly somehow which isnt beyond the realms of possibility and we win gets that GD gets written off anyway so those late 2 goals were a real balls in injury time.

I know the odds of city losing a game is extremely unlikely but they effectively 4 points ahead of us at the moment now GD is swung.

Maybe you're right.

We're in a good spot and a few younger players being brought in to freshen up the squad to replace players aging will mean we stay that way.

I think Kaide Gordon might get his chance as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

With 5 subs in every competition I would say Elliot and Carvalho will be able to pick up a fair few minutes throughout the first 2/3s of the season.

I was thinking he could go out on loan to a Championship team next year but then I spotted he's only 17 so maybe he won't go until the following season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Ok that's the league done unfortunately. They won't drop points in 2 out of 3 remaining games.

Cup treble is the goal

My thinking for the to be in the mix is down to the homegrown ratio that's needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

I think it's rest the lads time..

This season is still epic no matter what. No way we are turning the league position around now.

Hit the the two finals hard with our best men in fine shape. City aren't losing it from here.

Chelsea seriously looking over their shoulders too. Rather silverware than burn out..

• Advertisement
Advertisement