Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,940 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I'd love to play this, but I don't have the time or heart to get my ass kicked for 80 hours +. Plus I think it's just too dark for me. I'd be a wreck playing this. But I'm definitely missing out on a brilliant game.

I'm choosing to wait a year or whatever until it's on sale. I can't justify spending €70/80 on a game that I feel like I won't get into.

I did the same with Cyberpunk, I picked it up for half price recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yes and no.

The biggest thing I've come to find from Soulsborne games is that death isn't a failure, it's a gameplay mechanic. You die due to being unprepared. You die due to being greedy. You die due to panicking. But if you accept that, you learn from it. You learn not to rush in. You learn the pace yourself and pick your moments. And if you die and lose your runes/souls (the currency in the games), if you don't panic and you get back to the same point, you can pick them back up and chances are you'll have more runes due to the enemies you killed by going through the area again.

Accepting you'll die, accepting you'll fail a few times, and accepting the game will be frustrating at times means it's easier to pick yourself back up and go again.

The most frustrating thing about the games isn't the difficulty imo, it's the game systems. How to best level up, how to best upgrade weapons, how to find the type of playstyle/weapons which best suits you.

I'd highly recommend some "Before you start" or "Top 10 beginner tips" types of videos before buying/playing, especially if you haven't played Souls games before. If you start the game off on the right foot, it definitely negates a lot of the early difficulty until you get used to it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Elden Ring is an incredible game and far less intimidating than the internet sometimes makes out. Yes, it’s hard at times, but only some late game stuff is truly extra challenging.

My advice would be:

Make sure to explore the early open world areas throughly before tackling the first mandatory bosses. You’ll get lots of cool items and plenty of experience that’ll very much ease you into the game. Take your time.

Liberally use ash summons, which are the most generous tool in any of the From Software ‘Soulsborne’ games for adjusting difficulty. It’s a game built around having a helping hand from either AI or other players, far more so than any of the other games in the series.

Read online for tips around the best build, weapons etc… There’s a wealth of information out there to make the game more approachable and accessible.

This guy has been doing a detailed walkthrough for those interested. I've been dipping in and out and it has intrigued me into buying it eventually.

• Advertisement

I agree, I'm done buying ANY game full price ever again. You don't need to wait long for a discount. You can get Elden Ring for €54 now, that's sale prices already.

Cannot stand the whole resting and resetting all the enemies. I couldn't finish Fallen Order because of this mechanic. I played maybe half the game and then realised, holy crap this game is actually putting me in such a bad mood that I'm being a grumpy bastard (more than usual I mean) and snapping at people. There's so many other games to play it's not worth it.

Now I'm starting to realise maybe this game is not for me... but I still feel like I'm missing out on a great game.

@[Deleted User] I forgot all about CyberPunk. I'd probably enjoy that more, might pick that up instead and mull it over for Elden Ring a bit longer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If it makes any difference, fallen order is a rubbish souls game and way .ote frustrating. Elden ring is a lot more forgiving. Lots of mid boss enemies will disappear once defeated. And if an area is troubling you you can go explore elsewhere making it far more forgiving.

Yeah I definitely get what you're saying about the respawning enemies, though one of the beauties of Elden Ring being open world means it's easier to go around enemies or rush past them, whereas with the other Souls games and Jedi FO, you pretty much had to go through them. The level design of SoulsBorne games is also hugely built around unlocking shortcuts and linking areas together (whereas Jedi FO was pretty awful in that regard).

There are definitely frustrating sections/areas/enemies in the game though. I can't even begin to try and deny that. But the difficulty of the games is just overblown.

After all that I remembered I have Guardians of the Galaxy to play. Don't need to spend money and you gotta tackle that backlog at some point 😀

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I picked up Dysmantle on psn but regretting not getting Surviving the Aftermath instead for roughly the same price. StA is gone back to 30 now but Amazon selling it for 15. Has anyone played it? I don't usually play strategy games but the apocalypse setting has me intrigued.

• Advertisement

Just played 3 hours of Skyrim when I should have gone to bed.

Rescued some bug from a bandit camp where I was underpowered. Lured them into some giants to get a few squashed.

The bug can carry stuff for me. It's cute and makes weird sounds. Wasn't expecting this.

I sent it to my house but it hasn't arrived yet.

Also saw some levitating woolly mammoths.

🤠🤠🤠

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭brady12

i literally thought i was only person in world who had seen this game 😂. bought it last week in gamestop i'd seen the case for ages and was drawing me in . tried it for 10mins other day . wasn't in form for learning new game mechanics so left it for a few days . my kind game tho

• Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Apparently the Overwatch 2 beta has released to the fanfare of a wet fart.

I remember being absolutely addicted to the first one for ages. I also remember that game making me toxic as fúck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I haven't been following this at all... Is it that it's just too similar to the original?

From what I've read/heard it's that the change to 5v5 (2 dps, 2 support, 1 tank) has some benefits, but a lot of downsides.

It's changed the strategy from skills to just kills, where before with 2 tanks and more shields it was key to have a strategy, team up, focus on particular groups/enemies, have positioning right etc. Now with only one tank and several hero reworks to facilitate it, it's just more about getting more kills more often. It's also likely to have an effect on queuing times for certain roles, and I'm sure some heroes will likely never see the light of day because they won't suit the new faster pace and damage output of other heroes. Particularly when it comes to tanks as there'll now just be 1 tank per team.

The hero reworks too seem to have made some characters skills similar to others (which is kind of to be expected now with over 30 heroes).

As it stands, the beta is just the multiplayer section of OW2, which is really the same as OW1 but now with the 5v5, new character and a few new maps. That will all come to OW1 for free anyway. No sign of the new single-player story mode that will be exclusive to OW2 yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,353 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I'm digging these - video game art pieces done in the style of vintage comics from the 60s and 70s.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hot Take: Asura's Wrath is a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I liked it and even got the best ending for it. I can see it being annoying for anyone playing it n PS Now with no way to get the DLC which is basically the ending of the game sold separately.

I really enjoyed it for what it was, an interactive crazy episodic anime. Really didn't understand the backlash over it being barely interactive considering the praise garbage like Heavy Rain got at the time. It came up on retronauts and they compared it to The Walking Dead which is another fair comparison.

There was a lot of backlash over the DLC ending. A few games were doing that at the time like FFXIII-2 being another. However you still got a decent ending to the game and claims that the ending was cut from the game were obvious bullshit when you consider how amazing the DLC was and how much effort was put into it. FFXIII-2 in a similar way was more a nice addition to the game but fairly throw away, the Asura's Wrath DLC was much better.

I can see how it might not appeal to some people, especially if you are adverse to the crazy anime of it all, but there was a pretty substantial demo to judge whether you'd like it or not.

• Advertisement

I take back what i said about Dysmantle, went back to it and got past the first area to see the opening credits roll. It's so addictive. Constant new things to make and scavenge for while moving along the story and quests. I have no idea where the last hour went but i had a lot of fun that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I've put 19 hours into it since I bought it. I'm addicted to it. I had to change my mindset about 10 hours ago from "get to the places and get the things!!" to "relax and enjoy the journey". I'm level 28, have most things unlocked, can one-shot most zombies, but I'm still only on the surface I reckon. I've only about 1/6th of the map uncovered, and all I want to do is keep going. There's something addictive about it.

Anyone recommend a good detective game on PlayStation? Dunno why but the old csi games popped into my head and i loved them. I think the Sherlock Holmes games are similar but I'm into really into the Victorian setting. Are they actually worth a go out anything else or there similar? Sinking City is another one that pops up but the combat looks tedious in it, looks like it would have been better without it.

Edit: i think it's currently between Sherlock Crimes and Punishment and The Sinking City, both 8 euro on psn until Wednesday.

Post edited by Zero-Cool on

Something like Return of the Obra Dinn or The Forgotten City? I haven't played Forgotten City myself but I believe it's a mystery game and I know ones here have said it's really good.

Forgotten city. Need to play this before it leaves GamePass. Any way to figure out when games leave GamePass ?

No idea. Think they just get announced a few days in advance?

A quick google says games leaving this month are

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - The Definitive Edition - May 10

Enter the Gungeon - May 15

Final Fantasy 10/10-2 HD Remaster - May 15

Remnant: From the Ashes - May 15

Steep - May 15

The Catch: Carp and Coarse - May 15

The Wild at Heart - May 15 

Her story or paradise killer might be worth checking out. Was going to recommend the wadjet eye games but they seem to be pc only.

I played Obra Dinn and The forgotten City, both absolutely brilliant and must play's. Retro, I don't think Her Story is on PlayStation, i remember looking for it before? Must check again but you reminded me I have the next game by the same studio, Telling Lies, have to try that at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

Just fyi, Halo TV series is fekin awesome.

• Advertisement

Really? I've heard bad things.

Did he take the helmet off in the show? I remember some people on here were spitting acid at the suggestion that the helmet would come off. 😃

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Advertisement