Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Absolutely not. Galway should not be in Leinster at any grade.

It's up to the Leinster Counties to improve themselves.

Would talk of bringing Kerry into Leinster to make the football championship more competitive - not a fookin chance. It's time the Leinster hurling counties stopped being patsies and looking to paper over the cracks with "quick fix" solutions such as parachuting in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭dzer2

KILvWEX U20 A Tallis N Rowe S Purcell P Lennon J Fitzpatrick P Moylan P Langton K Doyle D Walsh A Hickey T Clifford P McDonald B Drennan G Dunne T Dunne Subs A Rafter B Reid E O Brien M Gannon J Doyle I Byrne J Walsh P Blanchfield

Team for tomorrow night anyone interested in going it's on in Dr Cullen Park Carlow

• Registered Users Posts: 3 M7599

Final post from me on this.

You referred to a sub goalie on KK minor team as being u16 where the team and panel is named on public KK Gaa website. You got the player wrong and it was pointed out to you that neither minor goalie was u16.

You sent me 2 private messages. I sent 1 in between. I'm happy to publish them. No retraction from me. I think you have a grudge as a disgruntled parent, that's just a view I've formed from your messages. No doubt you'll want the last word so I'll probably give you what you want.

Brst of luck to our U20s tomorrow night and our seniors next weekend. Yes I'll probably moan and groan about the ref, the wides, the mistakes etc but I do appreciate the effort all of our players and backroom teams put in. There's no money, plenty of hardship but all of them do it because they live and love it. We're lucky to have it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

I think its more of a case to bring fairness to the competition, if you were from a sporting background in another country with no awareness of history, tradition etc. and saw 2 regional competitions in Munster and Leinster championships and then seen that 1 team joined the competition after those 2 concluded you'd think that's very odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Village87

Hard luck to the minors. As said above these are only young lads so these things happen. One word of criticism I would like to make is that there were 5/6 weeks of clubs games where the county players were not allowed play. How can you ask 16 year olds not participate with clubs, if anything they need to play these games. I know you could not do this with 2/3 matches with proximity to inter county matches.

Being honest about it Kilkenny were average in all 3 games winning only one match v Wexford. Young lads confidence will be down, they need to go back to their clubs and play, this will reenergise them, give them confidence as they would have done well. County management and selectors should attend these games, most players are competing in Roinn A so they would have been playing against each other, other players could have caught the eye, players can develop over 6/7 months at that age. Instead management had training on the same night as club matches. The whole thing looked very stale and systematic. These lads would be stars at club level and that unrehearsed/ off the cuff reaction hurling was absent at intercounty level

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I don't agree - Laois had to work hard to beat Wexford and Kilkenny, the traditional kingpins of Leinster minor hurling along with Dublin whom Offaly had to beat to make the final too. Putting in Galway into the Leinster minor hurling championship makes it harder again for Laois and/or Offaly to win. Getting to and possibly winning Leinster titles is a hard but realistic aim for sides like us, making that aim harder again is not in the interests of Laois or Offaly.

On the flip side, if Kilkenny feel the competition isn't good enough for them in Leinster, they can go compete with Galway for the Connacht title. As I said earlier - there are no calls to move Dublin footballers to another province considering the lack of competition for them in Leinster. Why are the hurling counties such patsies for allowing Galway in?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭usernamethatsnotinuse

Already have antrim, derry and down in it. Its not really a Leinster only championship anyway. Provincial championships should be long gone in both football and hurling. So many pointless one sided games. Or in galways case, no games

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

Is it just me but do Wexford have some very light weak players for this age. No. 5 who got booked looks 13 years old. Little light arms on him.

Kilkenny solid, but not spectacular so far. Some terrible shooting from Wexford.

This is like watching Wexford seniors hitting wides in the early 90s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Kilkenny physically stronger alright but probably should be a few more ahead with the strong wind altho wexford had some awful wides but when you see drennan missing them few frees it shows how tricky the wind is its going side to side. Our half forwards started well but have gone out of it and wexford have got back into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭jimmythesulk

It's like watching a under 20 team playing a minor team. Wexford very light. We should win this handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Just tuned into this. The standard looks terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Making hard work of this

Finding it hard to see why Fitz was moved out of centre back. I don't think it's having a massive difference but still. Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭Jizique

Limerick would beat them by 30, and KK by 20 - no comparison between this and last weeks Munster final

To be fair to them its very different conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭Jizique

I never associate Wexford with small teams, standard is poor though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭randd1

The conditions are atrocious and they’re playing on a football pitch. The ball and the pitch look like they’ve been slathered in KY Jelly.

it’s very hard to keep your footing in that scenario, never mind hurl.

A win is a win I suppose. Congrats to players and mentors.

Haunted though.

Wexford not going for a goal and the ground so slippy with that free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Ref gave them enough chances to win it. Time was up by the time the ball was picked out after Wexford scored the free to get within a point.

They always had big men. Their schools St. Peters, Wexford CBS etc used be full of big 6ft 2/3 men 30 years ago. And Wexford teams in general.

Kilkenny..well they've room for improvement! They didn't do much in that second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Terrible decision making from the Wexford player (or in reality their mentors) . Two points down and 20 seconds left on the clock, and a 21 yard free in front of the goal... Go for goal man, why would you take the point with the slippy ground as the poster above me said

(Easy to say, sitting on the couch maybe)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

Good to win a Leinster final but that was painful. Was it 4 out of about 22 of their own puckouts that they won yet kept doing the same thing? Hopefully it was the poor conditions that affected the quality

KY Jelly no less🤣 I think you could be planning an early night!

Walsh, player of match, a nice chap.

I think Limerick v Kilkenny U20 will tell us a lot about Leinster underage hurling, is there a gap with Munster, and how big. Can be hard to compare matches with different conditions.

Captain seems a grand chap too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

Great and all the job that TG4 are doing but I don't understand their fascination with showing the action after a puckout from behind the goal where you have no idea what is happening

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

A loss would have been very hard to stomach, we were comfortably the better team. The half back line and midfield were utterly dominant, that should nearly always give you a spring board for a comfortable win, but yet again the Achilles heel of modern Kilkenny hurling was on view, cleaned out on our own puck outs.

Well done to all, AI finals are there to be won, and Munster teams going in to finals as supposedly unbeatable have a nasty habit of crashing, usually with Kilkenny as opponents. Limerick have improved over course of their 3 games but Clare should have beaten them and Tipp were very limited.

btw Both teams deserved better than that pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Well done to everyone involved. A lucky enough win in the end but up to the last few minutes that goal was the cushion that separated team. A big score on a night like tonight. Conditions were very poor and slippy but it's definitely not the one of the better pitches. We've being shocking underage so we shouldn't be criticising a win as most of us would of took a 3 points to 2 win this morning. Limerick will obviously be big favourites but It's an all Ireland the pressure will be on Limerick and no one will give us a chance. This is a young team and as others said a while ago we need to get behind this team and these young lads. Its a pity Liam Moore and zach Bay aren't involved but hopefully Harry will be back the next day but it'll be unlikely.

I heard that huw lawlor was going to get an injection into the hand/knuckle for the weekend but I heard off another lad he'll be gone for a few weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭conor05

I did hear a lot of that Wexford team are underage next year except for Lawlor and a few so maybe that explains their small physiques.

In saying that they fairly horsed us out of it in a lot of positions in the second half.

Advertisement