Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NI Assembly Elections - A rerun of the GFA referendum?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,155 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

He/she wants you to rise to those type of taunts.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭O'Neill

I've read on twitter about how SF are like LePen and Orban. I mean to some Sinn Fein are woke leftists and then to others their fascists. 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 13,996 ✭✭✭✭briany

They were able to do it with Brexit 😉 The political chaos that ensued in the UK after that vote was carried out suggested that there was no plan. Well, there definitely was no plan laid, because UK referendum law is an absolute shambles where you don't have to make any concrete proposals or give real detail. So it seemed that voters were basically in favour of Brexit in principle, i.e. in favour of it whatever it meant in their own minds, based on whoever they were listening to.

So, I suppose the same thing would currently apply in NI in the sense that when you put the UI question to them, their opinion of it is based in their imagination. Would approval go up if a plan were put forward? I don't know, but one thing I'm fairly certain of is that any plan put forward will not get cross-community agreement. But such a plan would at least need cross-border agreement with the Irish government, since there are two sides to the border poll. In fact, if a border poll ever passed, Dublin would have to be in the driving seat. That would be easiest if it were an SF government down here as well, but that's obviously not a given.

Anyway, Sinn Fein are always saying that it's time to have a real conversation about a UI. I say maybe they should put out a detailed plan of their own, to the extent of what the SNP did for the Scottish referendum, down to what thickness of paper civil servants shall use, and then tweak it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I think Irish Government have little say in this one except they refuse to allow a referendum which seems unlikely... That plan was put in place with GFA... Of course they be part but i think UK will try to make it happen... Is ant Irish politician going to say they dont want UI...

'We', the people of Ireland constitutionally aspire to a UI. There is therefore a constitutional imperative that the plan comes form government here on our behalf. The first step in that process should be a citizens assembly and I think you will see that soon.

• Advertisement

Why would we need to discuss something thats already decided... have a vote if necessary....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,996 ✭✭✭✭briany

A UI essentially means one of two things - it either means NI being absorbed into the Republic of Ireland, either fully or left as a devolved region, or it means a new country altogether with a new flag, constitution, set of institutions etc. In the latter scenario, I could certainly see the Irish government wanting a big say in how that's all implemented. Not just the politicians, but the very people of 3/4s of this island will demand that.

I doubt we'll see it before the next general election and that's only if Sinn Fein can capitalise on their current high poll numbers. It seems the will isn't really there with this FFG government to get their hands dirty with the question and while the majority of people in RoI may be in favour of a UI, I don't think the issue is a daily concern like housing. Therefore, a CA can put proposals to the government, but I think the government will still drag its heels and not receive too much public blowback for doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,682 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Meaning that 83% of SF voters give preferences to other parties. That's a pretty overwhelming number.

I think there will be a package put in place to fund a transition period of say 10 years but once we vote to accept there be no going back...

I also think there likely be funding for North and South to sell the idea... Britian will not be able to do alone... US already involved and likely drawn in EU...

I also think it has to happen this assembley term while SF are at the helm... say there be another election in 6 Months and union party has 1st minister the option b e gone...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Im old enough to remember when Republicans and Unionists mocked and laughed at the Alliance party.

Now they are both kissing the Alliance party a**.

Funny how things work out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Im not always right, but I don't pretend to be something I'm not Francie. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Bigotry is a hell of drug....the desperate efforts to cook the books are brilliant🤣🤣🤣

You mean stating the facts of the votes is now bigotry?

I disagree. FF and FG will be petrified of being left behind on a UI. Martin's unity project is a damp squib of selected safe voices, but it shows the desire. They cannot afford to allow SF take the lead (maybe they are stupid enough to) on it.

There isn't a Taoiseach born yet who would not want to be the lead on achieving a UI.

A majority want the Assembly back and a majority support the Protocol.

Both SF and LePen have opposed all EU trade deals. Eg the proposed EU trade deal with Canada.

Both have opposed the Lisbon treaty,Nice Treaty etc.

Both want similar EU rules on state aid.

Both believe in economic nationalism and protectionism.

Both have similar viewa on CAP.

Both are against NATO.

Both were against the single currency.

Both were against EU enlargement. Eg Poland joining.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

In old enough to remember SF saying they would never administer British rule. :)

Another edgy poster who wants to return to the days before the GFA.

Really was a painful weekend for a few around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,570 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Would approval go up if a plan were put forward? I don't know, but one thing I'm fairly certain of is that any plan put forward will not get cross-community agreement. But such a plan would at least need cross-border agreement with the Irish government, since there are two sides to the border poll. In fact, if a border poll ever passed, Dublin would have to be in the driving seat. That would be easiest if it were an SF government down here as well, but that's obviously not a given.

Well the cross-border agreement seems pretty much a given, especially if SF are running the show both north and south. But we had that with the New Ireland Forum nearly 40 years ago. And I'm not seeing that any substantial progress has been made since then in Irish nationalism coming up with an offer that can gain any buy-in from the PUL community.

This guy IMO pertinently poses the question "If not now when?" in that regard

Dr Peter Shirlow, a social demographer and head of Liverpool University’s Institute of Irish Studies, told The Times the findings from NILT were consistent with other polls showing a majority against a united Ireland....

"All these surveys show majority support for remaining in the UK, a significant share of Catholics who support remaining in the UK and no growth in the very small share of Protestants who want Irish unification.

Shirlow said that the NILT poll was conducted at a time that should have been “an optimum moment” for those “seeking Irish unification”.

“Brexit, the protocol and the massive effort made by civic nationalist groups has to led to a small growth in those who support unification yet this was supposed to be the game changer,” he insisted. 

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Apparently, FFG and Labour were up canvassing for the SDLP and in true FFGL style, SDLP lost seats. The danger now is that SF has what the Americans refer to as "the big mo" which is basically a kind of momentum that can lead to electoral success. All that Martin and Varadkar have done for their parties is lose seats. Martin even lost the 2020 GE for FF because he wanted like, like Charlie Flanagan, to commemorate the Black and Tans/RIC. A real FF leader, rather than an FG collaborator, would have taken that Black and Tans/RIC commemoration issue and destroyed FG with it. But not, for obvious reasons, Martin. The latest opinion poll has FF at 16%. Over the next few weeks, a lot of the media focus is going to be on the Assembly and whether or not the DUP will accept its position. That could be worth an extra few %s in the opinion polls and could see SF edging closer to 40%. The knock-on effect of a second election in NI may be that the turnout will be higher with the DUP and SDLP losing more seats as the political model becomes even closer to a Big Three party model. The stability of the FFG government might also be in trouble. I don't think that SDLP can afford another FFGL electioneering success. SF as the biggest party in the North has definitely upset a lot of FFGL supporters.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,426 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Sinn Fein in Northern Ireland is not a phrase I normally hear, much less on my yankee media feeds. Did I miss something? ;)

And as night follows day, Michael Martin finds a way to have a pop at SF on Morning Ireland, lambasting them for mentioning a Border Poll. 😁😁

MM and indeed all our politicians exept SF has been taken over by events of recent days... it is unlikely what he says will have any influence in what will happen... He said we want it and we will get it sooner than he wants it....

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Well, they ran a whole election campaign saying that it wasn't about a Border Poll but about the cost of living, and they haven't stopped talking about a Border Poll ever since without ever saying a single word about what they want to do about the cost of living. Sinn Fein lie in election campaigns, that is known, but this has been breathtaking.

They are in Stormont at the minute awaiting the arrival of other 'democrats' to get down to the business they were elected to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭shirrup

Piece of advice for hardline unionists (and hardline unionism in general).

Show some contrition and humility and get back to Stormont. If you do, your union just might still be here in 20yrs. Continue with arrogance,attempted domination and disrespect, it could be gone in as quick as 5-10 yrs from now.

Oh, and get rid of all your strategists and advisors too.

The only business they are talking about is a border poll, which is not what they were elected to do.

Well done to Sinn Fein for getting the First Minister position (subject to no last-minute Unionist mergers) and to holding on to all their seats and increasing their vote slightly. I am surprised by that, but there are a few things to notice.

(1) The overall nationalist vote is down, from 39.8% to 38.1%, down by 1.7%.

(2) The unionist vote is also down, from 43.6% to 40.1% (also down by 3.5%, twice as much as the nationalist vote)

(3) The nationalist vote was 41.8% in 2016, 41.1% in 2011, 41.4% in 2007. After been steady for so long, why is the nationalist vote declining on a long-term trend? You have to go all the way back to 1996 to see a lower share of the nationalist vote, at 36.9%, which was the first elections to Stormont, when there was a strong extreme Republican resistance to voting. Sinn Fein have been extremely successful in cannabilising the SDLP, but they have performed very poorly in increasing the share of the vote held by nationalist parties generally.

(4) The Alliance Party are at an all-time high. The best I was expecting was to double their seats. They beat that, so huge congratulations to them.

(5) The Alliance Party did so well because exclusionary unionism focussed on the NI Protocol, which nobody on the ground was interested in. The focus since the results by Sinn Fein on a Border Poll will play into the hands of the Alliance in the long-term.

• Advertisement

Rubbish, they are at Stormont waiting to get down to work as they were elected to do. They never made any secret of their aspiration for a UI. Anyone voting for them or anyone observing them who thinks otherwise is either not very knowledgeable or has a familiar agenda.

Advertisement