Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Supreme Court to overturn Roe vs Wade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,413 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Republicans trying to make liars out of a few of their surrogates in the thread, especially who a few days ago wanted to place bets on abortions bans not happening

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

• Registered Users Posts: 13,583 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

What was the final number in 2016? 100,000 votes swung the swing states. Food for thought.The #2xIMPOTUS, your Orange Messiah, was probably one of the worst POTUS's in history. There were worse, but he's down there. Might still go to prison for his antics, one can only hope.

And you know the majority of Americans vote Democratic in the POTUS elections? And that number is growing, despite blatant disenfranchisement attempts by the GOP?

But please, this is the Roe v. Wade thread: not the POTUS election recap from 6 years ago.

Can you try and get back to reality and relate to us how Republicans are providing health care? Let me dumb this down for you - when have they ever been passed legislation to provide healthcare. Any form. They objected to Medicare in the '60s.

You know it's GOP states that refused to expand the Medicaid eligibility as part of the ppACA. How is that providing health care?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,922 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

your Orange Messiah

You’re barking up the wrong tree there.

As for the rest of it, I’m not interested in defending American Republicans policies, though I can understand why Americans who previously voted Democrat have switched to voting for Republican candidates, and why they’re not all that interested in whether or not Roe v Wade is overturned.

So, you withdraw the lie about Republicans providing health care?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,922 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Don’t go all Cathy Newman on me now, because I have no idea what you’re referring to that you’re calling a lie. I’m not withdrawing anything I’ve said previously, including the fact that I can understand why people who previously voted Democrat are switching to voting for Republican candidates, and why they’re not all that interested in whether or not Roe v Wade is overturned -

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/05/07/politics/republicans-midterms-roe-v-wade/index.html

EDIT: Question 4 on the survey -

https://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/21867873/cnn-poll-on-economy-and-biden-approval-rating.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

What do you make of calls from the more religious elements of the Republican party who are calling for bans on IUDs and other contraceptives? I've seen one calling for a ban on contraception for the unmarried too. This ruling, on the assumption it's passed, opens a bit of a Pandora's Box of repercussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bayonet

By the way, it's worth noting that there are many Democrats that are against abortion too. Whilst early abortions are supported by a narrow majority of Americans, second and third trimester abortions are not supported by the majority of Americans.

There seems to be a correlation with how far left you are and how much abortion you support and how late. Full term with those loons.

In the latest survey, Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents are 45 percentage points more likely than Republicans and Republican leaners to say abortion should be legal in all or most cases (80% vs. 35%). This gap is little changed over the last few years, but the current divide is wider than it was in the past. For instance, as recently as 2016, there was a 33-point gap between the shares of Democrats (72%) and Republicans (39%) who supported legal abortion in all or most cases.

In the past 6 years Pew notes the number of Democrats against abortion shrank by 8 percent here. 20% at most and declining is not that many.

This poll is about legality in most/all cases.

A Reuters/Ipsos poll found half of Americans support 2nd trimester abortions as an option (47%).

As previously discussed, virtually all 2nd and 3rd trimester abortions are performed out of medical necessity.

• Advertisement

Something doesn't add up here: their graffiti legibility is top notch, its very evenly spaced, it's not rushed in any way at all .... and with that, they used.... molotov cocktails, a rudimentary hit and run pyro device? They spent more than a few minutes carefully spraying out this message, and then, hurriedly, rushed to completely half assed fail to set the building on fire. Why would you burn it down at all if you wanted a message on the wood side of the building... why would you rush the arson, but be so exacting with your handwriting in spraypaint? Did a molotov push over that leather chair? If the arson wasn't supposed to succeed, why not use something more vindictive, even effective and less likely to incur extreme law enforcement response, like skunk spray?

Could still be of course these are some really irrational, loopy pro-Roe activists etc. but I guess that's like saying it could also legitimately be Sasquatch until proven otherwise. Wouldn't even be the first time that the Right Wing has tried to use broad side of a barn vandalism to stir up false controversy:

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Dollar Thief

Brilliant. Abortion laws are far too liberal in the US. At last some protection for unborn babies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

You are going on and on and on about "late term abortions" and "multiple abortions" on the thread in many posts like this one here without citing any links, statistics, stories or even cherry picked opinion pieces. Could you be more specific, with actual citations not opinion pieces, about what exactly you are talking about? Specifically:

1) Who exactly is having "multiple abortions per woman" and how "common" is it exactly? What does "multiple" even mean? Two? Two hundred? What does "common" mean? 1% of women? 50%? 100%?

2) What is a "Full term abortion" exactly, who does it, why do they do it, and exactly how do they do it? What is the actual procedure if a woman shows up in, say, week 30 demanding abortion services?

Abortion is for the lazy who cant be arsed to do their regular contrception. I am 100% in favour of good contraception and even free contraception , combined with good information on sexual health . Logic really, teach people. explain in simple terms whats going on what can happen & how to avoid it.

I know but the scope of the USA abortion laws are very wide and should be curbed somewhat , no altogether but a late abortion should not be available to easily. That should be a digfferent cause. The regular up to 12 weeks should be freely available in local clinics but not the late ones its too easy.

So, rapists should use condoms?

You know it's not 100% effective, this was made eminently clear to you when you were on the old abortion thread. Were you there? You can look it up.

This rhetoric was tried, and miserably failed, to move the Irish population during our referendum. I am not sure why you feel pushing the same rhetoric here is going to fool anyone now.

The first glaring nonsense in your post is that contraception is not some magic bullet that always works. Thankfully the failure %s of contraception is small. But unfortunately a small % of a large number is still significant. And many many people have sex very very often. So you have a double fail in your post here in that A) many people seeking abortion actually did use contraception despite your claim to the contrary and b) contraception is not 100% effective.

The second glaring error in your post is the assumption that all abortions are the result of people not using contraception, or of not wanting a pregnancy. This is not always the case either. It is entirely possible to be trying for a pregnancy and then having become pregnant their circumstances change significantly and their pregnancy is no longer viable for them. They can lose a job, become homeless, lose their spouse/partner, have a life changing medical diagnosis in themselves or someone close, suffer a life trauma, and much much more. Any number of reasons why someone who actually INTENDED to get pregnant.... suddenly finds themselves in crisis.

It is anti choice campaigners like yourself who try to simplify the vast number of reasons for seeking an abortion down to one or two intentionally disparaging and willfully over simplified narratives like "just people too lazy". The reality outside your narrative, out here in the real world where we are and you are not, is much deeper and more diverse.

But at least we have common ground here. Both pro and anti choice people generally want to espouse better sexual health education, better contraception, and better incentives to allow pregnant women to proceed with their pregnancies. We share those ideals. What is interesting is that the institutions who have been most vocal against abortion like.... say... the catholic church.... have at times also been vocal AGAINST contraception and sexual education in children. One can wonder why that is and oppose their agendas.

You are right i am not in the present day reality, I have since taken two freinds at my expense to the Uk for a crisis termination so i am in all camps. Both my friends had regrets and one suffered depression. I agree with abortion but i hate the images of a 30+ weeks foetus in buckets in clinics, they are upsetting even to me who has a open view. I accept the criticism here which i am frequently exposed to but sometimes having lived a life does give you a different perception than just reading about things & listening to the twitter outrage & roaring..

Post edited by bertiebomber on

I firmly believe the catholic church were against contrception & abortion as it was their recruitment to the church to have as many births as possible in poor families whom they ruled with fear, these children were automatically in their catholic family.

• Advertisement

I am not sure what images you are talking about to be honest. And I would question if the images are actually what your sources claimed they are too. When people resort to using pictures in lieu of actual arguments.... a lot of dishonesty can happen. And the less articulate and less intellectual of our species will gleefully grab on to any image they thing will further their cause without having to string a sentence together.

For example for reasons I can not fathom I have seen pro choice people use images of the early stage fetus of OTHER non human animals.

Similarly I have seen anti choice people use images that were not what was claimed. Over on the "peoples republic of cork" forum for example, during the referendum on abortion, I saw people post images of what they claimed was late term aborted fetus. It turns out they had willfully stolen the image of a still birth which the parents had intentionally released to the media to raise awareness about the medical issue that caused the still birth.

To say I am disgusted by both sets of people, on both sides, who move to such tactics is an understatement.

An image of a 30 week old fetus is going to be distressing to most human beings. Regardless of the cause. But if it allays your distress at all... the near totality of cases where we willfully terminate at that late stage are because of medical or other absolute necessity and not because women are suddenly, after 30 weeks of pregnancy.... deciding on a whim to chop their little darlings up into mince meat.

In fact the statistics on abortion are remarkably consistent. The near totality of ELECTIVE abortions.... where women chose for their own personal reasons to seek a termination.... happen in or before week 12. And this remains consistent across jurisdictions regardless of whether abortion within that jurisdiction is totally banned..... is allowed with a term limit like in the UK or Ireland..... or is relatively restriction free like in Canada. Which somewhat lends strength to people on the pro choice side telling us to "Trust women". I do, and they validate that trust.

So those that oppose abortion tend to fail to actually prevent them happening. Instead they just increase the stress and duress such women undergo as they travel to other jurisdictions at personal cost, and medical risk, to have them elsewhere.... or they do it themselves with all the risks and horrors that involves.

So what anti choice campaigners think they are actually achieving with their NIMBYism is still beyond me after nearly 30 years engaged with this topic.

I feel for your friends (assuming the anecdotes true) who felt regret. One wonders if they felt regret because they think they actually did anything wrong, or because the needless division over this issue has guilted them into thinking they have when in fact I have yet in 30 years to see a single coherent moral or ethical argument against elective abortion in the term limits it predominantly occurs in.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It's not just about a lack of any legislation about Healthcare , Can anyone recall a single piece of GOP legislation in the last 25 years that wasn't a tax cut , increased Military spending or a roll-back of legislation designed to protect employees or the environment?

I challenge anyone to name a single piece of legislation put forward by the GOP in that timeframe with the express purpose of directly benefiting the average person. "Tax cuts for rich" framed as some trickle-down nonsense doesn't count..

the friends were regretful due to years of catholic conditioning making them feel as if they had sinned, due to strong catholic mothers who welcomed the priests & their rules unlike my own. Thank you for the break down and calm description & explanation i take your comment on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Except once Republicans get the nationwide abortion ban they want the next thing on the agenda is overturning Griswold vs Connecticut and bringing in a nationwide ban on contraception. The Republicans have already been very vocal on that..

We in Ireland know very well how the Christian social conservatives think and what they ultimately want. We lived through it long enough. They won't stop at abortion and contraception either!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭Christy42

In that case Roe should be defended. States with laws like NY which you disagree with will keep them but states that don't have them will just get far, far more hardline with some at this point even discussing laws against contraceptive measures off of the back of this. Essentially no later term abortions will be stopped but those just doing the minimum from Roe vs Wade will go pretty heavily against your desire for early term abortions.

Many folks on the right have been overcome with the Upsets because the public is openly harassing people for their decisions surrounding abortion

It was shameful that the White House refused to condemn violent protest ors threatening the families of the supreme court. It is disgraceful! And Joe Biden used to be chairman of the Judiciary Committee. Joe Biden knows it’s disgraceful! He’s literally threatening the lives of these justices by the mob they’re unleashing. It’s the same thing we saw with Black Lives Matter and Antifa riots where the left embraced them, and now they’re embracing mob violence to get their partisan outcome.

Silly Ted. The President clearly said there were many fine people on both sides of the People vs SCOTUS protest. Can someone also fetch him the Merriam-Webster listing for Literally?

(Biden's actual statement: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-61382289)

In turn many other people are calling them up on the double standards.

And then other Justices are saying you have no right to stand and freely protest — peacefully protest outside of our homes. 'We have a right to privacy.'

Well, women have a right to privacy as well, and women have a right to privacy with their bodies, and I’m just shocked that that’s what we’re hearing from men. That’s what we’re hearing from the justices. That’s what we’re hearing from, you know, Republicans, that people don’t have a right to protest these – this draft opinion when the Supreme Court has found that you have a right to protest in front of abortion clinics*, that there can be no buffer zone.

*https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/13pdf/12-1168_6k47.pdf

You have a right to storm the capitol, but not to protest the Supreme Court. Got it.

I thought the protestors were on a tour to view the SCOTUS judges' homes? We should ask Christine Blassey Forde about protestors, she has a lot of experience with them and the support she got from the POTUS at the time to ensure her safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭uptherebels

It might surprise you that most healthcare services in America are profit driven

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Shameful carry on from the left. Setting fire to anti abortion groups properties. Intimidating judges.

The same crowd were complaining about attacks to democracy last year so what do you call this??? Following judges to their homes.

• Advertisement

Shameful carry on to vandalize and arson yes. Nobody knows who actually did that yet though, and it looks suspect.

If they trespassed on the homes of Justices they went too far. I saw footage from the street, not their homes though.

The SCOTUS has, after all, defended the right of protest in public, and firmly iterated that in public one has no expectation of privacy.

.... “Occupy Biden” Climate Activists Protest At Biden’s House In Wilmington, DE1,944 viewsStreamed live on Jan 1, 2022:

Maybe I missed the broad condemnation when this occurred.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement