Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

Yes would like to see McIroy overcome his issue with getting the flow right from Thursday to Sunday in the Majors

• Registered Users Posts: 38,532 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

As I pointed out, Hamilton won on the PGA tour that season before the Open so it wasn't as big a shock that he won the Open as you are making it out to be.

Lawrie is an eight time European tour winner. Again no real shock that a man who won multiple times, and grew up playing in Scotland, won the Open.

The last nine winners were all in the top 50 in the world at the time of winning the Open and most in the top 20. Even Darren Clarke before then was just outside the top 50.

I've shown you shock winners more recently in all other majors so it's time you just accepted you are wrong about the Open being more of a crap shoot than any other tournament.

This is the Rory McIlroy thread and we've gone off topic now.

We're talking about the majors, not Lawrie's largely fiddly minor European tour wins or one PGA win.

You won't find other players who have basically absolutely terrible overall Majors records like they have over many years.

They have no Majors consistency and in fact the opposite and yet have won an Open.

Plus the Tom Watson at 59 incident which you have no answer for.

It's the most crap-shoot of the 4 majors - you haven't offered any convincing evidence to the contrary that any of the other majors is more of a crap-shoot

Off topic indeed but you can't back down on it!

I've offered proof that the same thing happens in every major. I don't need to prove anything about five time open winner Tom Watson doing what he did in his later years.

The fact that the same Tom Watson won it five times and Tiger and Jack won it three times shows that it's not a crap shoot.

You just have an issue with Rory it seems and you are trying your best to hide it but it's clear to everybody. This argument started out with you trying to belittle his Open win.

Honestly I'm starting to believe you aren't really reading my posts because the proof is in them that the Open is not a crap shoot and that there have been the same shock results more recently in all the other majors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭boardise

I think the par 5 second was a seminal moment.. McIlroy hit two super shots to lie about 5/6 ft from the hole. He missed the eagle and walked off deflated. Reed took par and walked off in far better spirits . I will always be convinced that if Rory had bagged the eagle he would have beaten Reed.

Reed's lead would have evaporated in two holes and the difference in morale would have been huge. But there it is . door opened , door closed.

• Advertisement

Tom Watson at 59.

You're not even to be taken seriously just blatantly choosing to ignore that age of 59.

You've also ignored players like Hamilton and Lawrie with their dire overall Major's record over many other Majors events.

That evidence is not there with the other 3 majors in the last 25 / 30 years.

I have no issue with McIroy. I like others are merely pointing out how he has performed in the majors. I just wished him well in another post today.

And my friend it's you who can't read as the original point about the Open was not in relation to McIroy at all (it was about Harrington)

So that's even an ironic deflection fail for you, considering your rubbish about "not reading your posts".

You are clueless in my opinion and I'll leave it at that. I addressed bjth Hamilton and Lawrie and just in my last post reminded you that Tom Watson won it five times. Anybody else might be a huge shock at his age but not a man who won it five times and was playing seniors golf winning the Senior British Open three times not long before that Open performance.

you haven't been able to counter the argument that The Open is the most unpredictable major with any convincing argument

citing Michael Campbell (who beat Tiger Woods in his prime period into 2nd at the US Open) in relation to Lawrie and Todd Hamilton doesn't stack up in the slightest compared to their records or wins

you have a penchant for going around boards picking time-wasting arguments with continuous grandstanding and resorting to insults when you have nothing to offer

most posters have seen this many times before and it's just another rerun

Lmfao, Michael Campbell has the same number of wins as Paul Lawrie and missed many more cuts than him in Majors.

I'd put Michael Campbell down as the biggest shock winner of a major ever. If he won the British Open it would have been less of a shock given he played a good bit of links golf.

And I like Michael Campbell a lot. I followed him at the European Open in the K club many years ago and he had a word for everybody, a really nice person.

Even a small child would know that links golf is more unpredictable

A small child would also know that the conditions on links courses in Britain are very variable

So we have a major always held on links courses in an area of the world where the weather is quite variable - the small children are keeping up with the simple logic here but some just can't apparently!

Never mind the numerous articles out there about the unpredictability of "The Open", listing surprise Open winners, whether they are unheralded relative nobodies or formerly successful golfers well past their best and showing no form coming into the competition.

More like Jap's Eye!

• Advertisement

Is this still the Rory thread?

Apologies guys, I'm done with that now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Okay folks, back to Rory please, if you disagree with someone's opinion and want to challenge it then fine, attack the post NOT the poster

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭OEP

He is working with Bob Rotella so hopefully that can help. At least he seems to recognise the problem, let's see what happens. Good weather in St. Andrews would have me optimistic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Surprised by the lack of activity, solid tournament again from Rory on a tough course, playing well again, on the subject of fluke or surprise major winners, Shaun Micheel is possibly the weakest player ever to win a major, and I think Patrick Reed had the luck of the devil when he won the masters, but is all opinions, Willett was handed the masters by a Speith meltdown, and Paul Lawrie came from 10 behind to win the open which featured Jean van de velde collapsing in a heap, had he won, he could have been a worse major winner than Micheel, as it was, Lawrie wouldn’t be far off it, Scottish golf has never been weaker, with the great hope Bob McIntyre hacking around in a weak tournament this weekend, I suspect he will hack around for a few more years without doing much, so it just goes to show how well Mcilroy is playing, when he finishes 2nd in the masters and 5th this week, and also shows how difficult a game golf is, it’s just that the top players make it look easy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

Sky Sports commentators at it again last night with McIlroy. The nonsense they talk every time he plays is absolutely sickening.

In Dubai, Mcilroy put his 2nd in the water with the tournament at his mercy and Nick Dougherty and Wayne Riley both said it was the right play because “Rory is aggressive and plays to win”.

Last night, the same two commentators and throw in that other clown Coltart we’re praising McIlroy for a terrible approach from the middle of the fairway and said if he is to win he’s got to play conservative and hope Homa and Bradley make mistakes. Mcilroy was 4 behind at the time. Then an hour later they’re back to panic mode hoping he sinks 50 footers to “give himself a chance” when he was running out of holes.

It’s got to the stage where if any of the British or Irish golfers are in contention on a Sunday I change over to the US coverage. The constant “come on Rory” or Dougherty referring to players by their first name such as “Bob” is unwatchable.

Decent few days golf for McIlroy, playing in those conditions wasn’t easy and it was a real slog at times on a course that i wasn’t a fan of to be honest. I do think he’s as close to a win as he’s been for a while now. Interesting to see he said he’s playing the next 4 weeks in a row and Brian Keogh pointed out that there was no mention of the Irish Open so chances are the field will be minus Rory this year. A big hit to take for the organisers and the European Tour.

I don't think he's playing the next 4 weeks - he's not out until the PGA now. He's playing 4 weeks in a row around the US Open, with the US Open being in week 3 of that stint.

It looked as though he was hitting his wedges with more of a "sawn off" follow through too, perhaps he has been working on something.

That's not new, he has been doing that on and off for years. Its partially successful from time to time. He just doesn't have the soft arms short iron that you see a Justin Thomas do or the type of body/arm speed matching swing that some other good short irons players do. Mostly due to the speed of his backswing which makes him such a good long club player. He is a lovely pitcher of the ball though so its really strange how he cant find something from 80-150.

Improving his game management a bit is more important. At least he referring to it on golf channel which is a good sign. “Shot selection,” he said. “Like the shot selection into 16 there trying to hit a hard wedge and not quite getting all of it, hitting the slope, spinning back to the front of the green. You hit a three-quarter 9-iron, that maybe doesn't happen. Sometimes it's just like picking the right shot at the right time, stuff like that.

Seen him short sided a lot on Par 5s this year also. Going for eagle all the time instead of guaranteeing a birdie. If you don't particularly root for him he's a fun watch. If you do then very frustrating.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

If he doesn't play the next four weeks he won't be in the PGA championship because it starts in ten days time.

• Advertisement

The same Shaun Micheel finished second in the PGA three years later behind Tiger Woods so not exactly a fluke and certainly not the worst player to win a major.

I think he needs a caddy that's not his friend. A top class caddy who been there and done that. I'm not saying his current caddy isn't good but he needs somebody that'll challenge him on shot and club selection.

He needs to work on his focus and I think he's lacking the desire too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

He meant Rory is not playing the next four weeks in a row

The next 4 weeks in a row as was said in the original comment

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

You mean 8 time european tour winner Paul lawrie with victories that crossed a 16 year period and a considerable amount of time spent in the top 100 golfers in the world versus 2 time professional tour winner Shawn Micheel who was never seen again 5 years after his major win ?

Neither Lawrie now Micheel should be considered the worst.

Just so you know, Lawrie has a worse record in Majors than Micheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Panrich

Ben Curtis has to be in the conversation.

That’s the man, Paul Lawrie who won 9 times in 29 years, and never finished in the top 5 in 43 other majors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Ben Curtis, Todd Hamilton, Rich Beem, Paul Lawrie, Shaun Micheel and obviously Rory all in the conversation from my time watching golf anyway.

Has to be Shaun Micheel for me though, he had the least about him and the shortest time in the relative spotlight.

Advertisement