Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice for Starting IT Career

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭eggy81

Night shift is 4x11 hour shifts Monday to Thursday 6pm to 5am. Union go rate is 19/h. First 8 hours at 1.3 and last 2.5 or3 at 2.6. It’s mental money.

170 tax free on top of that. You’d have a deposit by the time that place finishes.

Im a supervisor in a data complex at the moment. Heading out there shortly for a 6 month stints of nights. Those last 3 hours will be nearly 75/h.

4 day weekend every weekend too. Nights will be tough there but no brainer if you need cash in short order.

If you're actually for real, your motivations are gonna get you nowhere career wise. Nobody told you to study IT btw. Posters told you to upskill. You're not walking into any job and earning 60k from day one.

I say this as somebody who came from an arts background. I'm on a high salary but I've worked my ass off to reach that point. But also I enjoy my work. If you don't enjoy development, you're just setting yourself up for a career you will despise and struggle with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

https://www.codecademy.com/ i think if you read a book, watch coding videos on youtube ,listen to podcasts you,ll know if you have any genuine interest in programming , i dont think i could play piano or guitar because i dont have any musical talent to even be able to learn the basics

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Someone mentioned CS50 on here. Is it just a youtube playlist or how is it taught?

I'm on the website now but it looks like it's starting with a youtube video with different options at the bottom.

Anyone recommend any other good programming resources?

@Pussyhands You sign up here:

The videos are provided via Youtube but doing it through edx gives all of the resources and structure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Learning a musical instrument is mostly about practice not talent. If you enjoy it, doesn't matter if you are bad. It's like paint by numbers. Stay away from any thing with no frets, like a violin they are much harder than say a guitar or a piano. You could be tone deaf and still play those.

Lots of different areas in IT. But coding takes a certain mindset. I don't agree that everyone can code. But it's good to do a starter course (in any subject) to see what you like or don't like.

A good teacher and mentor makes all the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I agree coding takes a certain mindset, but for me it also took time. I didn't understand much for the first view years in college. You get up to speed pretty fast once you start working though.

True I only did a few modules in College, I only did enough to get though it.

When I was working a developer used to help me out when automating things and drilled good habits into me.

Where I am now no one is mentored. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Gunner5

My 2 cents here is don't just go into this for the perceived high salary that you might get. I saw someone take on a higher diploma and struggle with it because they just didn't like the logic and the self learning that has to go with it if you want to be in the 2:1 category. They just wanted to be in that career and did not understand that because you got a diploma doesn't mean the hard work stops there. It continues into your first job and beyond.

Struggling in your job and under a lot pressure at times is not a tradeoff I would personally enjoy for the sake of the salary you think it'll bring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

It is also the case that you need to spend your whole career studying. When you finish college you are at a very low level. Most of what you need to know will be learned over many years on the job. It suits some people but certainly isn't for everyone.

In my opinion, if you are really good at something the money will naturally follow. But you can not be really good at something if you don't love it. You might do an adequate job without having a real passion for it, but you will not reach the higher end salaries without it (I don't mean fairly modest salaries like 60k here).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Why is buying a property the only thing that matters to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tjomeara

Get over yourself OP, that is if you are actually serious. It is a very hard time for all (particularly the sub 30 cohort), and most people cannot afford to buy in Dublin at the moment, especially (almost certainly) if single. Life your life and see where it takes you - you are 30ish! Work until you find something that actually interests you, then progress if you can if have an aptitude for it; if that does not work out, then find something else to do. In reality, most people hate what they do anyway; it is a means to an end. You would be in a better position than most if you actually found something you like to do on a daily basis. You should experience as many things as possible in life now whilst you can as life won't be so flexible in the future: you will much more regret missing out on various life experiences later on than you will regret not owning a shite apartment now (next thing is a better property, and so forth - never ending; siblings will move to bigger houses, and you will always be trying to catch up for some reason). You cannot base your happiness on owning a property - that is ridiculous - and I really don't believe you are being earnest. My story is that I rented in D7 until I was 44 (now 49). Decent wage, not a huge deal more than average. I much preferred the flexibility of renting at the time but - honestly - rent just became too expensive (x2 the mortgage), and I was in the position to buy my rental property (thanks to other half). Owning a property is expensive - never-ending costs, and stressful - way easier to have a landlord to fix stuff if rent is what it should be. If long term rent in Dublin was a viable option, the that would still be my preferred option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Become a nurse, the starting pay is crap but give it 3 years and then work continuous nights through an agency also work every weekend the premium pay and double time on Sunday will up your salaries a lot, now you cant do this while working in a hospital as they wouldn't let you do every weekend or continuous nights so has to be an agency do it for a year then when you get you mortgage go back to normal life, basically it sacrificing a year of your life and you would probably be a bit mental after the year but you would achieve your goal.

The other option is to go to somewhere like the UAE to work as a nurse for two years and save like crazy again it's sacrificing a year of your life.

If you're just going to put in a hard few years, teach English. I was netting over 5k a month in Asia when I was doing extra hours and saving 4 of it.

Advertisement