Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Some aspects of the game do make me think that it'll be the same old story again this year with Leinster coming undone in the semi or final when they come up against a side with serious power up front in scrum, maul and carry. It's probably fair to say that Leinster - and Irish sides in general - struggle more against the French combination of power and unpredictability you get from the the likes of Racing, La Rochelle and Toulouse as opposed to the more predictable English style.

How strong is Joe McCarthy's scrummaging and mauling? Leinster need as much power and dynamism up front as possible. Maybe it's not good enough yet. The Leinster scrum was under a lot of pressure in a match against Cardiff (?) earlier in the season when McCarthy played really well around the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Honestly, I’d wait for the public sale. They don’t show the seat map for the season ticket sale and usually dish out the worst seats.

It’s not going to sell out, you’re better off seeing what seat you’re getting and not ending up with a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Some lads thought the frontrow is world class. There's obviously issues to be worked on. It's frustrating as ****! I didn't and Don't think or expect Leinster to win the European cup. There's shortcomings that in my opinion, have been evident in years past. Moving Porter over is the right thing. Only he's struggling at the basis of scrummaging. Doris plays like he's an amputee at times. It's almost automatic that he'll knock the ball at some point.

We big up our players to the point that when they are mangled, we're shocked. Last season it was LaRochelle. Sarries the prior season. It's the same scenario again. Big pack coming in that will probably boss the scrum. If we lose there's going to be the usual opinions etc. Win and I'll be delighted. I think we can win with all ares of our set piece functioning. Toulouse out weigh us by a large margin. I don't think the scrum coach is doing a good job?

I'd bring in Rhys for Doris. Ed Byrne for Healy. Otherwise, it's as you were.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

It's sickening, but the current English league leaders, at their home, where they are undefeated this season, posed little more than a glorified sparring session to Leinster. Hard to see anything but a much sharper performance against Toulouse, and a fifth star on the jersey next season.

(Coombes is still better than Doris though. 😛)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Are we all talking about the same Toulouse side that took extra time and penalties to get past Munster?

Munster…

C’mon, those lads this have some concrete in their legs still come the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

What are junior tickets age wise? Was going to get a family ticket for Saturday and bring the nephews.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Think there’ll be some

€10 tickets Salmo at 2pm, they’ll be in the gods though. Might work out cheaper for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Was in the Aviva and I have to say, Toulouse looked incredibly ordinary and if Munster had Beirne, Killer and Coombes they'd have won this. If POM hadn't gone off it might have been enough without them at all.

In any case they did us a favour running Toulouse for the extra 20. That will make a marginal difference.

From my nosebleeds in the Aviva there was a clear issue from Toulouse that Munster and Ulster have exploited to varying degrees of success, if you keep that enormous pack moving, they fade after a few minutes hard and can't cover the ground. Wide wide and all of a sudden they're running like they've lead shoes.

Side note, I kept a close eye on Jenkins when we came on. There were glimpses of why we signed him there. 2 thundering hits in the 22 on truly enormous Toulouse players and some nice moments in attack. I think we're getting a good player and with the right game plan he will come good

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Any performance that isn't worthy of winning the competition should be called out.

But it's not reasonable to expect any team to be able to sustain that level of performance throughout an entire season; and nor do they have to in order to win the competitions they're in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Yeah they have them for STH at 10 but I’d rather pay a bit more for the better seat. Had a mooch anyway seems to be u18 is junior which is good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Anyone able to get Premium level tickets. Ticketmaster such a pox of a site

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭A-Train

I got 7 tickets, decent seats in the lower east stand block 104.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,034 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Yep, just two in 326. Make sure you have the €10 unselected as they automatically selected for me. I selected West Stand Premium and East Stand Premium rather than just Best Available.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,625 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

like i said, thats a truly bizarre take of that game. Leicester did not "dominate" Leinster at all.

The game was over as a competition by the 25th minute FFS.

All leinster had to do was win that game, which was very evident when ross byrne kicked that ball out 5 meters from the Leicester game to end it. job done, on to the next one.

as i said already, it wasnt perfect, but no performance ever is. The fact that we never looked like losing that game at all showed how easy a victory it was, and for you to suggest that we were dominated by Leicester is completely wrong.

Yeah that's what it was. It kept selecting the 10quid seats

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Madeoface

I'd expect whomever it was that drove zebo into the turf to be cited. Really should have been red....and zebo is gone off marmite to me....(in fairness probably due to munsterfans pointless dissing of Rob 'most decorated wing' K back in Schmidt era).

I think I'd have rather faced munster in the semi too. Toulouse just too unpredictable...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I was offered East stand six times, even though I checked boxes for West Upper and West Premium and unchecked everything else. Then I was offered West Lower three times. Eventually on the tenth try I got three tickets in the West Premium. It's a disgraceful way for Ticketmaster to carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,034 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

And they'll still charge you €6.60 service charge for each e-ticket.

Yeah they try get rid of the East and South first for sure. Gits. The East would be fine if they didn't make you go the long way round down Bath Ave

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

Would have preferred West Upper (and had ONLY selected it) alright, but had a mosey and got Row F of East Upper on the 10 yard line. Happy to take that bird in the hand etc etc.

• Advertisement

.....and the sun in your eyes on East stand more often than not.

Good seats - well done. The reality is that they are going to be hard pressed to get this place filled by Saturday, but when people take the trouble to buy good seats early, they be glad to let them instead of putting them through these hoops. They're a moronic bunch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

"...if you keep that enormous pack moving, they fade after a few minutes hard and can't cover the ground. Wide wide and all of a sudden they're running like they've lead shoes."

I also think their midfield can be got at; Farrell made a brilliant break for the Haley try and they also tackled him without the ball for Joey's last penalty, iirc. I could see Ringrose, and Leinster's layered runners in general, making hay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

Totally, I was the designated purchaser for my group of STHs, and had actually said on our Whatsapp that I wouldn't be buying straight away because better tickets always come available (and this will not be a sell out!). Everybody agreed with this, which is a bit annoying when you think about it. Your core fans are having to play games to balance the need to get tickets with the fact the better seats are held back.

I was really surprised to get offered anything between the 22s and that wasn't a nosebleed to be honest.

PS: Good point about the sun! suncream and hat will need to be packed! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Farrells break for the try was a product of keeping them moving. They couldn't fill the line and their 13 was put in an untenable position for it.

The off the ball penalty was hilarious tbh. It was a totally botched move by Munster where DDA held it for too long and Farrell totally overran his line. He was just lucky that he ran into the player!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Got 4 tickets in the lower West Stand. Just took whatever was first offered. Decent seats really.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The stats from the Leicester game are rather interesting. Looking at them you'd think both sides were fairly evenly matched. But the dominant collision figure is wildly in Leinsters favour. When they carried they simply couldn't be stopped. The red zone efficient also shows that Leinster were far more clinical.

One thing that worries me is how quick Toulouse's average ruck speed was against Munster. They were turned over frequently, but when they weren't they generated very quick ball. That's something Leinster must be very wary of as we don't generally tend to hunt for ruck turnovers. Committing too many men to the ruck and failing slow the ball could hurt us.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Went mad and got premium. Long way from my usual spot on the terrace in the RDS.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pao5FONxeC0&ab_channel=OldWesley

Leinster A vs Leinster AIL XV extended highlights

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Some nice tries scored. Pretty good runout. They should do this more at each province.

Advertisement