Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

West Ham was always my hope, and it still is. It's just changed to needing a West Ham win instead of a draw.

West Ham have a week off to rest now, and will want the win to get back into EL after today's result. They can overtake Man United with a win.

City play Wolves away in between now and that game and Wolves also slightly have a chance of making European football after their result yesterday.

Not gone yet. Very unlikely, but not gone. The manager and players didn't give up at 14 points down. I don't think they will give up at 3 points down. Not when there's a chance....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Yep. City V wolves is always tight and they only beat them last time out due to a ridiculous penalty award. We struggled by them ourselves. As you say West Ham need to win both of their games to get Europa League rather than Conference league.

It's extremely unlikely at this stage but there's no way those players give up and I won't be. I'm more worried about our own games than worrying that City won't drop points, we looked tired towards the end last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Yeah I think we're in the realm of possibly resting a lot of the lads on Tuesday against Villa in order to be right for Chelsea in the Cup at the weekend. We looked a bit tired last night (both mentally and physically) and with City padding their GD today, it just tips the league even further out of our reach, imo. I'm worried going all out for the league now will hurt our chances of winning the 2 cup finals while chances are we'll still finish 2nd in the PL to matter how well we do in the league games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Fans blow with the wind, supporters support the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Klopp is pragmatic enough to realize that's a fork in the league chances. I'd honestly keep Salah out of the remaining league games, he's absolutely knackered.

League position is gauranteed so all efforts should be focused on finishing this season with 2 more trophies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Can't agree with resting as long as league is a possibility.

If it's god's honest rotation and needed then fair enough

I said all along we had to beat City and win our remaining games to win it, both those are scratched now. It's over, can you honestly see city dropping 4 points out of the next 3 games against West ham, wolves and villa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, exactly... like, of course it's unlikely, but a team losing one match isn't exactly the most unheard of thing in the world.

As I mentioned earlier, if a game goes against them, City always seem as likely to lose as draw - just took a look, and it's true. In all comps this year, 7 draws, 7 losses (plus one sort of inbetweeny extra one, as they both lost and drew to go out of the league cup). Their extra late goals today are a pain in the hole alright though - would be looking at Southampton next Tuesday as the best chance to rack up a few.

Besides all that - I'd nearly be happier losing by 3 points than 1. At least with 3 points, it doesn't all come down to that stupid Tierney handball decision at Everton! I still get mad every time I think about that, and I think it'd drive me a bit nuts if I just forever knew that we'd lost the league over a call that was so unequivocally wrong, that it was publicly apologised for afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

• Advertisement

yup.. if you are gonna lash mindless balls into the box you may as well have the big D in there.....

Can I see a team losing a football match?

Yes I can.

Certainly, it's no reason to throw on the towel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,488 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We need to do our part, and let the cookie crumble the way faith has planned.

We need to beat Villa, by enough to go top.

As of right now, I'd have the priority in this order;

1. CL
    2. FA Cup
    3. PL

To meet targets 1 & 2 we may need to sacrifice target 3 or risk ending up with none of the 3. Only Jurgen and his staff will know how much in the red his squad are and how much resting/prioritising is required.

aye the killer is Newcastle should have been 1 up.. free header ffs....

have to say city's set piece corners are unreal.. they always seem to score when they need to

• Advertisement

I love The Frames band and always went to see them... had tickets a concert in lockdown and it was postponed and now its on the same night as CL final... ffs...

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

This from pep earlier

“Everyone in this country supports Liverpool, the media and everyone," the City manager said. "Of course, because Liverpool has an incredible history in European competition -- not in Premier Leagues, because they've won one in 30 years -- but it's not a problem at all”

I rather be challenging for the league with any other club than this state oil run soulless plastic club he represents and turning this league in to farmers league . He’s knows deep down what klopp is doing defies all logic when Liverpool has spent a fraction of City’s unlimited oil money hes spent.

We have to bring the CL this season if the league slips us by . The standard set by klopp and the team this deserve a CL or league if we can just maintain afew weeks longer . Can’t let is out fizzle out now after a very tough draining few games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The reporter should have asked Pep how many PL titles City had before the oil money rolled in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Jeysus, he sounds like a fella who's been reading a bit too much Blue Moon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Did'nt realise we only start counting from 1992, i'll have to write that down in my notebook.

Premier League started in 1992, technically he is correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Have tickets to the Frames too ffs

Great band. Watched the busking thing that Glenn is involved with on line on Christmas eve. Special..really was. Couldn't wait for the concert..

But some things are more important.

Watching with my little man..might never get a chance like this again.

Made sure he is a red..he has the gaff decked in red all year

Obviously Pep hasn't thought too much about the fact that half the refs are from Manchester and have a built-in hatred of Liverpool. Wasn't it a Manchester ref (Tierney) who didn't deem Dias' handball against Everton a penalty? You don't have to be a City fan to be a ref, but ABL will do (which is the automatic default of any Manchester ref)

Pep talking like he has won it.

Cool

It will be the sweetest of victories when we are crowned champions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

No bother Toby, i enjoy your posts, keep posting, I was happy enough for the team to take their eye off the league, it was too much of a stretch, better chance of champions league, bigger accomplishment anyway, hopefully it will work out,we needed to beat City to win the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

With that news now I wish we were playing them in the CL final, theyre down to Ake and Laporte at centre back and Zinchenko at right back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Gotta forget about the league and make sure we win the CL now.

This season has been amazing and one for the record books but without the CL it will feel a bit anticlimactic.

Wolves home record is poor, 9 times they avoided defeat, 8 losses/

Coin flip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Pep was also asked in a press conference about how good the team's response was to midweek, and whether he was surprised by it.

He answered straight away by going 'you're a Liverpool fan, aren't you?'.

The reporter says, 'No, United!'

Honestly, between his speech of a pre-match press conference, to his post match nonsense, he's having a worse breakdown since Keegan.

The penny seems to have dropped that people don't really care about City. They win trophies, and it's fine, but it doesn't resonate with anyone because of the blood/oil money. And he knows it. And he's acting out.

Imagine if he wasn't 95% sure of winning the League.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

A few people talking about this lad over the weekend, now Fabrizio is posting it, could definitely be something to it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭McFly85

I'd say it's frustrating for Pep, he's built an absolute monster of a team while most of the talk is about Liverpool.

But why shouldn't it be? 3 finals this year and still in with a slim chance of winning the league. It's a phenomenal season, even without the PL. And it's been done by a team with significantly less resources.

Pep will never get that level of adulation at City from the wider footballing world because, while they're an unbelievable team, people recognise he's in a low risk situation. Player not working as you would hope? Sell him, stick him on the bench or whatever, doesn't matter, we'll get a new one. Bought Grealish for 100m last year, for what exactly? They already have a young player for his position. So they bought him just because they could. Now they're going to get Haaland next year, give him 500k a week. In some ways he's the perfect representative for City, bags of talent but has spent the last year being hawked around looking for the highest bidder.

There will always be a level of admiration of what he's built, but as long as there are teams that can do almost as much with a lot less, they'll never be the main story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I get the impression you'll still be saying this in June....

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

where are you all watching the Final from ?

sorry the FA Cup final i should have said , seeing as we are in 2 more

amazing season regardless , how many of us if we were told in August we'd be in this position would have believed it ??

NONE , lets just enjoy it

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Have to laugh at Pep's comments, at least we know what he really thinks. Spoken from a guy who knows he doesn't have to face us again this season.

Reporter should have asked him why the Ettihad was littered with empty seats yesterday for such a massive title decider.

For what it's worth, loads of reports the PL are about to rule on City's case re: the Der Spiegel email leak, (3 pronged allegation of illegal payments to youth players, falsified sponsorship deals with their own ownership group to circumvent FFP, and dual contractual arrangements with staff to keep the true numbers off the books).

The EPL are not hampered by the 5 year rule that FIFA and UEFA are and can take their own action. There's something to it as well as City's response to the investigation similar to their response to UEFA, was that if they dare investigate the club, they will be subject of litigation to "tie them up in knots" for next 10 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Liverpool living rent free in Pep's head. He is expecting to be running away with the league each season so he can focus on the CL. 3 of the last 4 seasons one team has stopped him running away with the league and he failed in the CL and once in the league. He got to his first final with City when he had a free run at the league as Liverpool had not pushed last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

it's nothing to do with not having to face us.

it's everything to do with the fact that no matter how many trophies City win, or how brilliant their football is, they will never be talked about in the same way the likes of Liverpool, Utd and Arsenal are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

This.

City (Pep) have built an absolutely brilliant team which is dominating and consistently winning the PL but they haven't earned it, they've bought it and for that reason they rightly don't get the credit they'd like to get from most fans and media which absolutely frustrates the bejaysus out of them.

• Advertisement

Sure they won a domestic treble the same season Liverpool won the CL, no one outside of City gave a toss. Its not that Liverpool are media darlings, its that winning while financially doping isn't all that impressive of an achievement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Fuuuck offf Man City you ain't got no history....

Six European cups and 19 Leagues, that's what we call history!

Don't even know a single person who supports them to be honest.

Hopefully our lads keep the foot on their throats so they can't have an easy finish. And if they slip up.... Who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Well said Spurs Supporters Trust. Great to read. More of this please across all clubs and the crap might end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I think I was the first person on here to state that it would be like 13/14 and 18/19 and City would win all the games they needed to. We lost our chance when we didn’t beat them few weeks ago, and overall we probably lost our chance over the Xmas with them dropped points. Let’s keep going and hope for the best anyway, Wolves could beat them midweek and Stevie G get a draw on last day.

• Administrators Posts: 54,111 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Kind of agree. We didn't beat City, Chelsea or Spurs in the league this season, 6 games 6 draws.

If we win the rest of our games and don't win it, and we are retrospectively trying to pinpoint what cost us, I think it was the failure to pick up a couple of wins in those 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I presume that is just a transaction that both helps Derby short term with the cash injection, but also helps Liverpool long term with the removal of the sell on. It's a bit opportunistic, but it happens a lot. I think Spurs did the same with Bale years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

One League title in thirty years does sting me.

Maybe I’m in the minority here, but I wanted the league more than the CL this year.

In ten, twenty years time, the likes of City, Chelsea, Newcastle could be long gone if their owners move on.

United I think will be back and I want us to get ahead of them on league titles - to my mind they are always the rivals and City and Pep are here today and hopefully gone tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Fully expect some of them to feature for City again this season, won't trust anything Guardiola says. Also, we live rent free in his head all the time. Since we beat them in the CL we have been a thorn in his side and he doesn't seem like he is coping that well.

It's amazing you can be of course for 90+ points and people are pointing out what you did wrong.

13 wins out of 15 or something.

The team didn't lose anything imo. This points total wins you the league most seasons. When you are required to be this close to perfection it seems perverse to focus on the few dropped points.

• Administrators Posts: 54,111 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's hardly that amazing, it's a discussion forum after all.

The team aren't going to read this, I don't think we need to worry about upsetting anyone.

For what it's worth, our max points potential is 92 which would win you the league only 4 times in the last 8 seasons. These sort of numbers are the new normal, there's nothing exceptional about this season.

• Advertisement
Advertisement