Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary Lou MacDonald suing RTE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Then you'll keep lying. There is no official case evidence or you'd have supplied a link like I asked.

Comparing someone suing because they believe they were defamed to Putin, OJ and Fine Gael, is creating.

They're running a kangaroo court. If there was even a hint of this regarding a FG'er the same people would be crying obsession, hate and mysogny. Complete hypocrisy and zero credibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,724 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You don't have to go into details due to your self-silencing, but name some FG'er who are engaging in these actions that people on boards are being supportive of, or even anyone else. Everyone has been pretty clear that these SLAPPS type suits should be outlawed and that MLMD will have to come clean over this sooner or later (or SF and it's members will have to threaten the media more directly in the future).

You're inventing a strawman for something that hasn't happened.

Why are so many people on this thread so concerned about discussing a topic? Is it not a given that every thread on boards is a discussion and not legal opinion or medical advice (which is rightly banned), why do so many feel the need to keep bringing this up on a thread about SF silencing discussion.

You have to admit that is weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,156 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The only people inventing here are those who have found in favour of RTE and against the plaintiff on the basis of no detail whatsoever.

You either have a right to redress or you don't....which is it because you are looking for the right to be selective.

• Advertisement

Nobody has found in favor of RTE, however given all the evidence is public, it does seem a bit of a stretch to say any defamation occurred, so you can understand why people believe this is a SLAPPS attempt.

Any other strawmen to build while we're at it?

ROFL.

FFS if you insist this is a SLAPPS event then you have found in favour of RTE/RTE have no case to answer/RTE are in the clear etc etc etc.

Maybe own what you are doing astro and quit the handwaving.

I'm pointing out that if RTE do have a case to answer, there is faster/cheaper ways to get to the desired outcome.

MLMD pursuing the longest most costly drawn out way of doing it makes it highly likely that even if there is some form of defamation in there (that I don't believe there is, but the legal system can worry about that) that it is an attempt at silencing the media on this story.

MLMD is a private citizen in the context of this case. She is fully entitled to put her confidence in any process available to her. You DON'T have the right to block that nor anybody else.

You either agree with people's rights to redress or you don't, and the evidence here is that you don't believe that, you believe that you get the right to dictate what a private citizen can do.

To be honest, I don't know why people here bother engaging with the boards shinner side of the discussion when they continue to maintain that the only discussion on RTE that day involving MLM,cahill and the women's march, is not the case and the one RTE news ,the producers of the programme says the action is about albeit using hands free language as they're in a legal dispute

That level of zealousy in denying the truth has to come from the office,not personal opinion

Its not illegal or sub judice btw to explain why that radio interview doesn't look defamatory to ordinary joe public OR to ask how a party leader is absolved of knowledge or decision making

MLM's perogative is to make the case that all this went on without her knowledge and probably needs to argue that Joe public wouldn't expect her to know

Good luck with that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The deflection and running away is par for the course when the difficult questions get asked.

It is laughable being corrected for the Broadcasting Authority rather than the Press Council, but the question is the same. Why did Mary-Lou run away from making a complaint to the body put in place by the Oireachtas for dealing with such issues in the first instance? Is it because she wants to censor speech? Is it because she has a disregard for the workings of the State? Is it because she has something to hide?

I believe that it is the first one but am open to any other suggestions as to why Mary-Lou went straight to the courts.

Have complaints been made before to the BAI and gotten nowhere?

Where is this rule by the way that you have to go to the BAI? And why could that not also be seen as 'trying to shut down the media/chat shows or whatever you are having yourself? I'd be pretty sure you would be making that case whichever way she chose to go.

She skipped a step to avoid scrutiny of her claim, that is what the evidence suggests. Keep defending the indefensible.

You were going to show this rule that you have to follow certain steps. You have zero idea what her reasoning/advice was yet you attack.

Going non publically legal and not the BAI first is a bit like calling the undertaker instead of the doctor when injured or sick

Its illogical unless you're trying on a Slapps

If she went to the BAI, you guys would be claiming the same thing, I have zero doubt about that.

Going through the BAI is not a SLAPPS, thus it wouldn't be called a SLAPPS. MLMD is engaging in a process that is often called a SLAPPS, all evidence points to it being a SLAPPS because all evidence is in the public domain.

As leader of SF, we are all free to speculate why MLMD would pursue this process that other people have pursued to silence the media when SF have recent history of pursuing cases to try and silence the media (still waiting on your attempt to break the "media" label up by the way, it was an earlier mud sling that you backed away from).

And still a total "fear" to name anyone other than MLMD pursuing this despite attempts at slinging the accusation at other political parties.

Did it ever occur to you that she may be trying to stop people using the conflict/war and victims to deflect from current issues? I haven't as yet seen her baulk at addressing issues from that conflict/war in the proper context.

If that is what the case is about then I would fully support her or anyone else. But again, I am guessing/supposing.

Unless of course you think using victims and the conflict/war to deflect is a valid thing. I would see it as a form of 'reverse SLAPPS' if you get my drift.

You are making claims about a case to smear the alledged victim before we know the details. Thats your right, but you'll be called out on it.

I cannot comment on the unknown. I could speculate but its pointless.

The FG people's details were known and shown to be frivolous and were commented on and roundly ridiculed.

But that is exactly why people object to people using a SLAPPS, it's a way of people trying to keep the media narrative on stories they want and suppressing stories that put them in a bad light.

It's incredulous that you think it's a good thing.

But look, now we have covered that for SF supporters:

• The leader of the party isn't responsible for the actions of current serving members and can't eject them from the party.
    • That a SLAPPS is OK if people don't talk about the bad things in case they deflect from things they want to talk about (aka Francie is OK with Dennis OBrien using them).
    • That followers of a party aren't allowed to speculate (after all we're 30 pages in and only just got to admitting that Mairia Cahill is involved and that a SLAPPS is now ok in some circumstance) on anything until after a court case is finished (so now more posting on the Leo thread I guess?).

That's some hole you've dug for yourself. I'm sure others won't hold you to those standards now ;)

• Advertisement

You are attacking the alledged victim because you don't like the alledged victim. Its that simple. You are using guesswork to try justify it.

The evidence is already in the public domain, we can make claims all we want as all the details are public.

Name the FG person who has engaged in this process? Bailey and Farrell weren't engaging in SLAPPS cases and everyone ridiculed them (before the court cases went ahead), it seems to only be SF members that can't be ridiculed ahead of the case.

I'm accusing MLMD of using a SLAPPS to deflect attention away from past misdeeds.

If you want to frame her as an alledged victim, go ahead and keep your other posting to the same standard (or don't and be a hypocrite, it's the internet).

Spectacularly missing the point to paint a narrative, is what you are doing here.

Again, people using a war/conflict or victims out of context and in order to deflect from current issues (the party piece of so many power swap TDs and leaders now it isn't possible to name them all) is wholly wrong and she is right to stop them doing that. (If that is what the case is about)

There is NO issue talking about those things in the proper context.

It isn't that hard to grasp, do try.

And you haven't backed that up with anything other than you feel it in your waters. Because you have no idea what the case is.

The deflection and running away is par for the course when the difficult questions get asked.

So you'll finally be giving examples of your claim on how I engage in one rule for SF and different rules for others?

Show me a link to the official details. I've asked you before and you've failed to do so. You are speaking on your claims like they are facts.

Talk away. I'll be critical of the putin, oj, fg comparisons.

You and others are attacking the alledged victim in a case because you don't like the victim, based on convenient guesswork.

Fair enough.

She is an alledged victim. Thats a fact. The fact that your bias and hate won't allow you recognise that fact says it all.

This thread has completely exposed those posters who will defend their politician to the end in the face of all evidence.

Like who? Have you any quotes? Why do some lads continue to tell lies?

Links to evidence?

• Advertisement

I have long at a problem with people using selective victims and events solely for political point scoring. It has long poisoned politics here. If this is someone finally taking someone to task for doing that, I support it. I make zero apologies for that.

We already know your penchant for convicting on foot of an allegation.

Now you are convicting on foot of no evidence at all.

The thread says more about you and others than anything else.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement