Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of butter

• 09-05-2022 2:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭

In case you haven't noticed in the Aldi butter is gone from 2.29€ to 2.99€.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,894 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Prices are up across every aspect of the supply chain from animal feed to utilities to transport. It's having an inevitable knock-on effect on prices in the supermarket. Not really sure how this is a consumer issue, other than inflation being an issue in general?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Travel is good

I usually buy the Connacht Gold spreadable butter. It used to be €3.30 a few months ago. Recently it was €3.50 and now this week it’s €3.85. I know, I know, I should buy cheaper butter, but my family likes it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,817 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

oh winter is gonna be scary!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭POBox19

Warm the butter and spread it thinner, that's what the Green's are saying. 😀

I’m sorry I’m going off topic now, but I bought Johnston Mooney and O’Brien bread the other day as the Brennan’s batch loaf was all gone. It was €2.85. So with the butter, the total was €6.70, just for bread and butter! I am seriously buying more supermarket own brand stuff, so my family will have to change their expensive tastes. Rant over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

Is this a joke or actually something they said? 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,303 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It was €2.19 for a long time, then €2.49 earlier this year in all the shops. I don't remember €2.29. I see Tesco is now €2.99 as well, must be very recent, and Kerrygold is €3.95 up from €3.75. Dunnes own labels is still €2.49 and Kerrygold €3.75 according to their website. They are all the same product, with a different foil wrapper.

Stopping butter melting during the summer is equally a problem than making in spreadable in winter. A temperature controlled butter dish is a good solution for anyone who cannot figure out how to do it otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

I can assure you that there is a very discernible difference between Kerrygold and other butters.

Kerrygold butter is only made from the cream/milk of grass fed cows in a specific geographical area, (usually a line south of Dublin/Galway whereas other butters will use cream/milk of all cows on the island.

There's an even bigger difference if you compare Irish butters with butter from elsewhere. Probably the reason Kerrygold is #1 in USA even though its twice the price of competitors.

Post edited by macvin on

The ingredients are the same, cream and salt. South of a line from Dublin to Galway isn't very specific, and some cows from there would be supplying milk to non Kerrygold factories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭Xterminator

to the person paying €6.70 for bread and butter, there are these new stores called lidl and aldi! you may have heard of them. once i started shopping there my family learned the days of 'brands' were over. better late than never!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

Pity, because it makes a lot of sense.

Pro tip - warm the butter in your arm pit or your crotch to save on electricity.

This is a real consumer tip -

Let your toast cool down before buttering it.

The butter will stay on top and less will melt into the bread.

Healthier too.

Post edited by elperello on

Yes, I shop in Lidl all the time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I hate to break it to you but all dairy cows in Ireland are grass fed. It's why Irish butter is yellow and why it tastes better than the white muck. There is no specific region other than farmers usually tie themselves into their local co-op which happens to be Ornua who make Kerrygold butter.

As for the price, feed, fertiliser and other inputs have doubled if not tripled since last October and this is being passed on to the consumer. Bread has gone up, so has poultry and beef and the price rises are not over yet.

Post edited by Doodah7 on

Butter is high in saturated fat and calories so it should be used in moderation.

If you can enjoy your morning toast with a bit less it can help to reduce your daily intake.

On the other hand if you find the toast unpalatable without butter melted into the bread you may decide to carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,015 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Kerrygold has been on sale in California. Yum! It’s price has been very competitive with local dairies. It’s in our frig at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,027 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

KerryGold is a brand of Irish butter set up to sell outside of Ireland. All our cows are feed the same doesn't matter where they are the milk and therefore butter will be the same. The only advantage farmers in Southern counties have is better land and less rain so they can keep the cattle out longer.

Advertisement