Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary Lou MacDonald suing RTE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

You know you are on to a loser if Una Mullaly is after you.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Rubbish, the only victims you don't like people using are victims of Sinn Fein. You will completely ignore all your principles when it comes to other victims.

A SLAPPS case is designed to hide what a defamation case is about and prevent discussion of the issue in the media. Until you can produce evidence that says otherwise, this case appears to be a SLAPPs case. It is unfortunate for you that Mary-Lou's actions have put you in this place, but the evidence suggests that she is hiding something.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,156 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

This is blanch bull.

I don't use selective victims in the way you continually use and discard them. Fact.

Oh...I thought you guys all knew what the case was about, haven't you scoured the show and found nothing defaming? Am I missing something?

Oh My!

You certainly are,if you're a shinner as Una is normally a big fan

Nonsensical rubbish.

If you mention people dying on hospital trolleys, you are using victims for political purposes, if you mention people who can't afford a house in the suburbs, you are using victims for political purposes, if you mention people in nursing homes with Covid, you are using victims for political purposes. I could go on and on and on.

This whole crying about victims is just your selective approach to all things Sinn Fein. The things is, you don't want to mention the child abuse victims mistreated by Sinn Fein and the IRA, you don't want to mention the people killed or disappeared in cold blood by the IRA, and supported by Sinn Fein. You don't want any accountability for these things.

• Advertisement

lol.

Who is trying to stop things now?

Nobody is holding up emotive victims on one side of a conflict/war for political gain blanch, that is what you and others repeatedly do. Concern for victims is not the same thing as using them for political effect. If YOU were genuinely concerned, the side the victim came from /or whose victim they were, would not matter. But of course it does, it always does matter.

Hideous behaviour to be frank. And the sooner it stops the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,849 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

His brother went to jail though

Did his oul' fella ever go to jail for molesting kids?

Absolute nonsense, Francie, you have jumped the shark now.

Claiming that you use victims for political purposes out of concern for the victims, while others use victims for political purposes for emotive reasons.

One of the most hypocritical posts ever seen on boards. Your wishing to hide away the victims of Sinn Fein and the PIRA on spurious grounds because they are politically inconvenient to the party you devote your waking hours to is just hideous and nauseating.

Plain to see blanch.

Your 'victims' are chosen for their emotive value. You aren't concerned about them because if you really were there would be victims from right across the spectrum...there simply isn't.

I am concerned about the victims of the housing crisis and trolley crisis whosever they are.

If you can't see the difference between that and your hideous use then I really feel sorry for you. I really do. You are a victim yourself in many ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

at least you admit they are victims. that is something i suppose. there is people in SF and the IRA who think people like McConville were combatants worthy of death.

its actually hilarious in a way that you give out about victims being used, when the only reason they are victims is because of IRA actions.

laughable really.

also why many people like myself still refer to them is because SF/ IRA will laud their past at a drop of the hat. either give it all up or deal with the **** criticism. the victims don´t have any voice to counter argue. the only person who used the victims is the **** IRA and some people still associated with SF.

my main point to SF fanatics; embrace a truth and reconcilliation process, move away from celebration of murder and death, and accept carte blanche amnesty or just **** off with your hypocritical bullshit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,724 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Morning Ireland radio from February featuring Mairia Cahill, I linked to their shows earlier if you want to listen to it.

You do know that it is the British and Unionists who will not deal with legacy issues with a Truth and Reconciliation process and the Irish government have let them away with it? The IRA have said they would take part in one if all do. The ICLVR have expressed satisfaction that the IRA lived up to it's commitment to co-operate with it, so I reckon they would with a fully and transparent T&R process.

I'd expect SF/IRA to move away from celebrating/commemorating their past when others do. How would they feel about taking down the statuery and trappings of colonialism and doing away with the poppy day stuff though?

Cuts both ways, but sure pick out one side.

So this is where "allegiances" come into play (and it would be interesting for other posters to say which way I vote as I've never said and I'd be critical of lots of things the government has done, where it makes a difference is in pointing out when the opposition party plan is no better or is the same plan).

We are at the point where the SF followers are supportive of SLAPPS actions as used by the likes of Dennis O'Brien purely because someone from SF is pursuing one.

Where the party leader isn't responsible for those in the party because the SF leader has been exposed in this way (and it's the only way they can make their defamation argument work when the facts around Mairia Cahill come out, they know what it's about but are too afraid to say it).

And where no one can comment on a case where all facts are in the public domain until the case is concluded, but only for SF.

It's patently ridiculous and when the government engages in those actions, they should be and ARE held to account by everyone.

But SF and MLMD are the "victims" here. It is completely laughable and they have made absolute fools out of themselves, again (after 30 pages of saying nothing loudly of course...).

So just ignore everything put to you and carry on.

I know what is completely laughable alright.

So tell me, how many political parties in Ireland in the last 60 years have supported a terrorist organisation that disappeared victims? Happy to condemn all such political parties. Across the spectrum, which ones?

You see, Francie, the horrific nature of what the Sinn Fein-supported PIRA inflicted on ordinary people isn't matched by any other political part in the South. How can I condemn that across the spectrum, when only one (well, maybe the IRSP as well) supported such acts?

You are calling for political balance when only one party has supported the committal of such atrocities.

She pretty much nails it in the first paragraph.

Still we will have the "nothing to see here, brigade" on in a few minutes to tell us to stop discussing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

I can link you to a classic airing of Wanderly Wagon.

I'm laughing at the very obvious time limit.

Up the yard blanch we know the ritual hypocrisy about good terrorists and bad terrorists.

If you and the power swap were honest about that we might get somewhere.

I am not calling for balance BTW, I said very clearly there is a proper context to discuss this stuff and I have never seen MLMD or Gerry Adams shy away from addressing it. I am calling on hypocrites to stop using victims to deflect from their own current failings.

Handy time limit.

So MLMD suing RTE is only her right based on how you view SF's albeit recent history. Thats not how peoples rights work.

If you were being fair and honest, which you certainly are not, you'd equate the FF and FG parties of the 1930s/40's to the Sinn Fein of today as regards political parties putting conflict behind them and moving forward in a democratic political manner.

In any case, a persons rights don't depend on whether you like them or not. If this thread was regarding a FF or FG member it would have died on its arse until details came out. But your hate and the hate of others for the female leader of SF is all that's driving this campaign.

As the man said...

The deflection and running away is par for the course when the difficult questions get asked.

• Advertisement

Nauseating stuff Francie, as always. Excusing and explaining atrocities is what you prefer to do. What the PIRA did was completely and utterly wrong. No ifs, buts or maybes.

Neither MLMD or Gerry Adams have addressed that, with their mealy mouth excuses.

What happened from the start was wrong blanch.

Stop doing the selective outrage and moralising and you might earn some respect.

And wrong again, both have addressed what happened. Just because it wasn't what you wanted to hear does not mean they haven't. Far as I can see they have never shied away from it in the proper context. Which is not for the sleeveen winning of a few political points when you can't defend what you are doing politically.

Weasel words from them. The victims of the PIRA don't accept that they have done enough.

I wouldn’t imagine any of the victims accept that enough has been done for them if you took the time to listen to them all.

That is why the two governments need to move on legacy issues. But we all know why the British wont and the Irish government wont pressure them either.

Weasels did you say?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

This case might fit her ideological framework better

Can anyone post the tweet? I'm not on twitter and can't locate it. Toibin's comment about 'letting people die' suggest it might be near the knuckle...

Wow, pot kettle black there, what haven't I answered clearly enough for you? Have I ever squirmed away from answering anything like the 3 amigos have been doing?

Still laughing at the reverese-SLAPPS theory, talk about being complete and utterly delusional, MLMD, saving everyone from talking about past misdeeds, should give her a medal.

You just ignored what was said to you clearly and invented your own narrative about what was being said here.

So given a chance to ask the questions that you want answered, you squirmed away again.

Waiting on:

• Broader definition of what the "media" is.
    • Why Mary-Lou would skip the press council process or other faster/cheaper processes (unless you're sticking to reverse-SLAPPS?).
    • Recognising this has become a pattern for SF and it's members.
    • What you think was defamatory to Mary-Lou in the Mairia Cahill interview on morning Ireland (my opinion is that nothing was defamatory).
    • Others in government parties that have done this and not been widely condemned by everyone (funny to see the "both sides" arguments coming in here as well).

And yes, I completely agree that anyone, including MLMD has the right to pursue this process.

it's just that when others have done so, it's been a result of a SLAPPS process and we should legislate so that MLMD and others such as DOB can no longer do it.

What are you on about 'squirmed away'?

• Broader definition of what the "media" is. The media is the media. Not sure what answer you are looking for.
    • Why Mary-Lou would skip the press council process or other faster/cheaper processes (unless you're sticking to reverse-SLAPPS?). You need to ask her, I have no idea and care less. I have said this already
    • Recognising this has become a pattern for SF and it's members. I long ago recognised and referred to repeat use of deflectionary tactics (including possible defamation) used against SF in particular...remember the general election and the public getting sick of it? No surprise that SF would be to the fore trying to stop it. I have also said this already
    • What you think was defamatory to Mary-Lou in the Mairia Cahill interview on morning Ireland (my opinion is that nothing was defamatory). No idea until we get the detail. I didn't even listen to the interview. Said this already too
    • Others in government parties that have done this and not been widely condemned by everyone (funny to see the "both sides" arguments coming in here as well). Yes, others have and I can't seem to find any posts by me giving out about it before we had the detail. Yep, said this already too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I didn't even listen to the interview.

Eh, would you not even listen to it? Since here you are doing your usual whataboutism/defending circus trick.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement