Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does your club charge members admin fees for casual rounds?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Under the old Congu system you were meant to but not WHS

"it is mandatory for both clubs and players to report to Home Clubs all

Non-Qualifying Scores from Team and Society Golf played over a course for which the Union has allotted a Standard Scratch score together with notification of the relevant SSS"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

exactly what “admin” costs exist, I was under the impression recorded rounds update at midnight on WHS?

Re Bandits, if they are building 5 dodgy rounds in a row like that sure they’re just as likely to write 4 down instead of 6, drop a ball from their pocket instead of losing one etc.

Charging everyone in order to tackle the rotten apple is neither effective or progressive

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,001 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I thought it was the opposite and you could only submit a couple of supplementary scores , but under the old rules, they didn’t really want you handing those scores in……. Now there was admin in that!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Franks12

When I queried it with a committee member they said it was solely to do with stopping a handful of known "bandits" (who also abused the previous system). Have the handicap secretaries lost the power to make adhoc changes to peoples handicaps? Slash the handicap of the known bandit - if they get annoyed so be it, maybe they will leave the club which would be a win for the rest of the club members.

Baffles me that everyone in the club knows who these people are but the committee are afraid of dealing with them head on.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭CorkBoyInDub

Any club that introduces a fee for casual rounds is just looking for more money and are being money-hungry scumbags. You pay your fees at the start of the year, there's no way they should be able to charge for that again. With a bit of luck, someone will threaten legal action and the charlatans will back down.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Re bandits, it's all to do with prizes, just eliminate prizes out of the equation. You come first, brilliant, you came first, end of.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭slingerz

Removing prizes removes comp fees also though.

it’s an awkward job for handicap sec to cut people in general olay

weve guys who clean up in team comps/classics but can’t be touched according to GI

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Id love to see divisons for all competitions and no overall winner, can't win twice in a month and so on

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭DiegoWorst

I'm sure it has been said on this board many times in the past, it is not about knowing who the bandits are and cutting them accordingly. Certain individuals are very protective of their handicap, some of them are very litigious, they won't lie down quietly and walk away from the club. Proving that someone is building a handicap is extremely difficult.

A handicap committee must have justification for cutting someone's handicap, a series of wins in non-counting competitions, for example, is something a committee can use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭OEP

Does the litigious argument stand? From what I understand, one guy brought a case against his club and lost. As long as the club keeps communication about reducing the handicap between them and the player they should be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭DiegoWorst

Only the rare case will go to court of course. Handicap cuts are appealed all the time with some cases going as far as Golf Ireland and beyond.

You can't just slash someone's handicap for being a suspected bandit, they will have the right to appeal, and unless the handicap committee can show the justification for the cut, the individual could take it further.

I don't agree with it, but I can see why some clubs might want to charge a fee for general play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭OEP

I don't see what the big deal is if it goes to Golf Ireland, given that's what they're there for - it's not like the club receives a punishment or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Advertisement