Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moon Knight - Disney+ (***Spoilers***)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I watched to episode 5. Havent bothered with 6. Might watch it if i have to kill a few minutes some evening there is nothing on, but this show was a slog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

The Ennead were pointless though, they served zero purpose here. Now if they showed up in the last episode for the Kaiju fight it would have made sense why they were there.

As for Layla, why did she need to become an avatar too (never mind knowing how to use her abilities instantly, something Steven had problems with earlier with Mr Knight) and also outshining Moon Knight on his own show.

It just feels like this was not a Moon Knight show at all, due to the lack of Moon Knight on screen.

Why is it Marc that's only being judged? if Marc doesn't know Jake as the other alter, does that not mean that Jake created Marc akin to Marc creating Steven. It just seems to be convenient to leave Jake out of the balancing part in order to have the reveal later in the credits, that's my take.

Edit---

Just to add, I did think Ethan, Oscar and May put in a good performance but the show dropped in quality after episode 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Varik

What with all the gods thought we might see a Thor tie in somewhere with a reference to Gorr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,693 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I mean to each their own, I thought the Ennead scenes were great, we met Hathors avatar, we saw a neat trial by Gods (not the most judicious or impartial branch of government I've ever seen, quite arrogant really). We got some neat ancient egyption marvel worldbuilding. I get what you mean, about their lack of involvement though clearly the other Gods take gumption with Konshu's 'theatrics' and 'flashy weapons.' They're also non-intervionalists. It's close to as much screen time as say, many Gods got on Clash or Wrath of the Titans. It does confuse us as to where Hippo Lady sits with the Ennead, and her flashy new avatar.

Steven is an Alter to a dissociative identity disorder. Marc Spector (SPEKTR...) is the main man, it's he who made the pact with Konshu. Ultimately, Marc knows how to use the suit, should know everything that happens with his body but he doesn't, amnesia between alters is a real thing. And Konshu wasn't exactly super helpful to "Worm." The whole scene where Steven and Marc discuss why Steven is Psycho Colonel Sanders, for example, works well, Marc's alter ego and himself coming to grips with how this power should work for his alter.

Layla, having no personality disorders to speak of, and already knowing intently what Marc is capable of with the power of an Avatar, likely made her transition a lot easier. They already foreshadow her in the series as an effectual and capable fighter/tomb-raider. Her weaponized necklace and the way she stabs that security guard at the black market deal was a nice little foreshadow of her future self and her ability to stabby stab.

I think what's happening most here then, with why many folks have expressed it's not enough Moon Knight/Action, is because of how they portrayed the DID, blacking out both Marc/Steven and the Audience from action beats to drive it forward in jumps - it puts it front and center that you've been deprived of something as an audience member (but for cause).

I think there was just the right amount of Moon Knight on screen to leave people wanting more. Konshu's imprisonment from the Ennead is an important story beat, and so is for most heroes, the trope that they do some deep character exploration without leaning on fancy powers or gadgets (Iron Man 3, Spiderman: Homecoming, Raimi's Spiderman 2, Thor: Ragnarok, etc.) and even a lot of really good singleplayer videogames take a similar beat, parts of the story where you are stripped of everything you have earned to prove what you have learned (Half-Life, Breath of the Wild, Tomb Raider, the list is miles long). It helpfully establishes that the protagonist is worthy of the abilities they have been granted by the story, nobody watches a heroes journey that lacks pitfall or sacrifice.

Why is it Marc that's only being judged? if Marc doesn't know Jake as the other alter, does that not mean that Jake created Marc akin to Marc creating Steven. It just seems to be convenient to leave Jake out of the balancing part in order to have the reveal later in the credits, that's my take.

I believe from the Mom flashbacks we learn Marc is the primary identity, Jake and Steven are alters/guardian personalities. He made Steven as a child to endure his mothers physical abuse. He apparently concocted Jake Lockley later on in life in relation to him being a mercenary - the partner who "got greedy" while Marc was in a fugue state (Episode 5). Jake Lockley only appears when Marc cannot manage a physical threat seemingly (also true of Steven but for child abuse). The walls between Marc and Steven broke down from his Mothers funeral, which is seemingly when Steven begins to manifest so strongly he starts leading his own life working at a museum gift shop, with Marc so emotionally broken by his grief for over his mom (and her abuse) that he recedes long into the background of the DID. The Season is set up so the viewer initially assumes Steven is the primary, so it may be confusing initially on a first or weekly viewing.

The Season is set up so the viewer initially assumes Steven is the primary, so it may be confusing initially on a first or weekly viewing

This is maybe where I missed out, while I don't know the full lore of Moon Knight, I was aware that Marc was the primary prior to viewing the show. I thoroughly enjoyed the first episode, the show trying to convey DID on the viewer by putting us in the Steven character and his memory gaps but I feel they really could have carried that on with Marc and Jake to really give 3 completely different aspects of a journey/puzzle solve/fight.

• Advertisement

Oh I went in knowing nothing, I know nothing about the character except what little that viral memes had gleaned. I wasn't square on everything that happened on the show when I watched weekly, in my office, with 2 screens and the sunlight blaring; it's when I watched a 2nd time with the missus, as a whole saturday night in 4K that those pieces started to get picked up by myself :p

Wake me up before you go-go

Don't leave me hanging on like a yo-yo

What If... Tony knew a different guy

There's one big problem with that....can Moon Knight actually be Moon Knight during the day 😂

*Actually genuinely thought of that the other day and still not sure if Moon Knight can Moon (K)Day

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

It wouldn't be Moon Day, it would be Sun Knight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Sunday was yesterday.

• Advertisement

Can Thor only be Thor on Thursdays?

I wondered too. But there’s a shot of him after his revival walking outside of that location to talk with and bargain with Konshu before he manipulates the wind to send them flying off to Cairo to catch up to Ammit. This scene happens during the late afternoon at that location (Ammit’s tomb, in the deep desert)

Khonshu also casts a solar eclipse to signal an audience with the Ennead. That’s in broad daylight but we don’t see Marc use the suit in that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Well this was absolutely terrible.

Really didn't have a clue what was going on half the time, seemed like episodes were missing. I only watched it to close it out - didn't enjoy it at all.

"Seemed like episodes were missing" Erm, Stephen... that you ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I don’t understand why this story confuses so many people.

It is simple and straight forward.

And no one is saying what it is that confuses them.

All I can think is that people are not actually watching it.

While not confusing, I thought they missed out on something by not clearing up the missing memory sections. We had Steven with his missed memories, then we had Marc with his missed memories and it hinted that there was a third person but we never got to see that character filling in those missed memories.....in fact not even showing the existence of this third character until the mid credits scene, to me seemed like too big a reveal to drop in such an odd way.

For me it was too scatter to allow full attention. Ep 1 had some promise but after that it was just terrible.

Each to their own I guess.

Just finished watching the series for the second time as I thought I was missing something. I thought it was crap the first time I watched it, and yip, I think it’s crap the second time as well. For me the biggest issues are that I don’t care whether the main character(s) succeed/live or not, they aren’t compelling enough to make me care. Also, it is all over the place, it isn’t difficult to follow, because there is little to follow. Overall, I don’t care if there is a second series, I won’t be watching it.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Because it is just all over the place - quite a few people have hared this thought.

Well done you if you were able to stick with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

The show is widely seen positively both by critics and by viewers so no need for a snarky 'well done' when your opinion is the outlier by struggling with it (an opinion that you're entitled to have even though I don't understand it).

Who rattled your cage. Soo many white knights around these days.

'Well Done' wasn't snarky but each to their own.

Yep, I'm in agreement with you. In fact I don't think the main character is the main character in the show. It almost feels like Layla is the star, she saves Steven/Moon Knight/Marc on a few occasions, is married to Marc and cheats on him with Steven, gets superpowers and super fighting skills instantly and gets called a superhero by a kid.

Nothing wrong with Layla having these powers (before someone jumps at me) but they could have called the series after her really. Moon Knight seemed like a side story/side-kick in his own show. Very much like Hawkeye and Loki lately.

obviously by scattered you meant all over the place - that is what scatters means - but saying other people have said it isn’t an answer.

How was it all over the place?

the story was incredibly simple and we were spoon fed everything - it doesn’t take long to realise he has a split personality, or which is the original and they beat us over the head with there being third identity. Harrow lays out the villain scheme in the first episode.

The only think not explained is why Spector/Grant didn’t realise someone other than them has been out and about in Cairo.

It is an answer and it is my answer.

What you mean to say is you don't accept it as a valid answer. That's ok too.

That is a lot of time to devote to something you say you don’t care about.

Incorrect.

Answer: a thing that is said, written, or done as a reaction to a question, statement, or situation.

#everydayisaschoolday

No it isn’t an answer because you didn’t answer the question.

you are putting more effort into this than you are with my original question of why you think Moon Knight is all over the place.

how come you can’t answer that question?

• Advertisement

Because it is just all over the place - quite a few people have shared this thought. (It being the story and the way it was played out)

Advertisement