Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Very jealous! Thanks for the wonderful writeup. Sounded like an adventure. It'll be a long 19 years looking at that on the shelf.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Picked up a bottle of Miyagikyo Single Malt yesterday. Decentish value in Schiphol airport at €87

Passed through four international airports the past week and found very little in the selection of Irish whiskeys. Mainly scotch options.

New whiskey tastings on a steam train:

https://www.whiskeyonthetracks.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,946 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

That sounds pretty cool, will keep an eye on their timetable 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

For that price I'd want shares in Adare Manor and MVR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Because people will pay it? They are really great at marketing, as you can see from how well their gin has sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭xeresod

Trying to cash in on the gullibility of those who believe that "first Single Malt Irish Whiskey distilled in the western province of Connacht in over 107 years" actually means something!!!

(Although I have now learned that Leitrim is in Connacht!)

Aye fair enough but 120 is a bit extreme. Do the Irish American Company not distill in Connaught too or are they still sourcing for now?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I think they’ve overpriced it too, but if they have…. a lot of other new Irish distilleries and bottlers do the same, some inflated/ambitious pricing at the upper middle and high end of the market lately… Only time will tell if they were right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭2011abc

Far from 'approachable' Id say most would counter :-( Medicinal and ....eughhh...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭2011abc

Chancing their arm like lots in last couple of years trying to inflate prices .Their 'core release' last year (or year before?) was nothing to write home about .Your Islay write up was great , thanks.Im enjoying Lidl's Puca at 25 euro more second time round ,post minimum unit pricing .Grand drop and unless (or even if) you can pick up a Slane for same price its the king of the cheapies(especially if you like a sweet drop)

Aye for sure, but it's very strange its double the price of their pot still and still NAS.

Im very fond of the slane, and I've heard good things about their special release too. Still have half a bottle of the puca pot still which I dip into from time to time

I'll be in Adare Manor on Thursday. I'll see if they let me sniff the bottle.

Have the online tastings had their day? Back at the height of Covid you had L Mulligan, Celtic Whiskey and the Irish Whiskey Society doing about eight a month between them. The first two seem to have stopped and the IWS look like they are going to mainly focus on in person tastings. Three Drams look like they will be the last man standing in Ireland for regular tastings. Such a pity they didn't continue. Anywhere else I'm missing?

Whiskey is a subjective matter, so all viewpoints are valid really, to some extent anyway... But in this context I used 'approachable' in the context of Connemara's phenol content. Connemara is about 15 ppm as compared to 35 ppm for Lagavulin and 45 ppm and upwards for Laphroaig, Ardbeg and others. 15 ppm and below is generally considered to refer to lightly peated whiskies. In an Irish context Connemara is there with the likes of the Midnight Silkie as a way for people to try a peated Irish without getting really outside of their comfort zone.

Post edited by Black Sheep on

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Scuba_tom

Finished off the remainder of the bourbon sample that I was saving from the dingle batch 6 tasting.

it’s an absolute belter of a whiskey, please Dingle release more of this!

Getting my hands on some Ledaig 10, Caol Isla 12 and Bruichladdich Classic Laddie next week. Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭janiejones

Very curious about caol ila and clynelish. Like a taste of ardbeg and Laphroaig but they're too abrasive for me for a full bottle. Lagavulin 16 hots the sweet spot. Got the 8 as a Christmas present and it's missing some of that 16 smoothness. Wondering if caol ila in particular has it. Not a lot of bars stocking them 2. Maybe worth a tiny tipple

Caol Ila has more of a maritime, oilier element. If the Lagavulin 16 is your benchmark you’d struggle in the core Caol Ila range to find something to match it in my view, although I do like Caol Ila at the same time. A lot of it goes into blends, single cask sales and so on.

If you’re looking for alternatives to Lagavulin I would suggest trying Talisker and Kilchoman.

Clyneish is a great whisky but another one I associate more as used in blends from likes of JW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Haven't heard of any still going... they were some craic during lockdowns.

I see even Brown Thomas are doing tastings in store now:

https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/canapes-and-prestige-whiskey-sampling-at-hugh-browns-restaurant-tickets-334407982277

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Picked up a bottle of the Ha'penny blended Irish whiskey on offer for €25 in Tesco (seems a lot more expensive elsewhere).

Didn't realise it was from Pearse Lyons.

Lovely nose, but on tasting a little too much vanilla when drunk straight. Makes a great base for a Highball though.

Reminds me of Toki Japanese whisky strangely enough.

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/en-IE/products/304072938

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,735 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

This should last me for a while

Just opened a bottle of a premium Powers whiskey to drink with my dad. Given to me as a thank you present(with the security tag still attached)

Gorgeous smooth no horrible sting. Almost like drinking something of the strength of port. Was shocked. Checked the lable. Made by middleton!!!!

When I tried Caol Ila on Islay on a flight with lagavulin variations it really stood out as a fresher, oilier drop. Still plenty of smoke but much more briney and almost minty. Made me want a bottle then.

The first cask strength whisky I ever had was Caol Ila... I think possibly the first non chill filtered one as well. I'll always have a soft spot for them as a distillery. Very underrated, at some point I must get a bottle of the 12 year old to revisit it.

I was in London over the weekend, and quite a boozy evening was had, to say the least. I had several Balvenie 12 year old double woods. I think the Balvenie 12 remains one of those classic entry scotches that almost anyone will enjoy, particularly non whisky drinkers.

Also tried a couple glasses of FEW 8 Immortals rye. Basically you've got FEW rye at cask strength, and they use a cold-extracted tea to bring the ABV down slightly. I'm a fan of FEW and this was pleasant, but I don't think the tea really contributes anything. It was discernible, but it just makes it a bit vegetal.

Bought a number of whiskies over the course of the weekend:-

Lagavulin 12 year old special edition (2020), got it 120 GBP / 140 euro... The same whisky I saw priced at 200 most recently in Ireland. This isn't staying with me, unfortunately, it's a gift.

Lagavulin travel retail 10 year old... 40 GBP at Gatwick airport. This was a sale price, part of their whisky festival event.

Talisker 10 year old 1L... 45 GBP at Gatwick. The 10 used to be one of those whiskies you could count on to get for 30-40 GBP (750ml) but those days seem long gone now. For the 1L I was happy with this.

That's decent for a 10 year old from them!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

got a bottle of it in february and its nearly gone.

I like it but I find it strange tbh.

If i have one decentish measure of it I like it.

If i pour a second I keep thinking ive woken up midway through surgery in a 1950’s operating theater.

This might seem like a contradiction but there isnt a taste of more off yet i enjoy one drop of it once or twice a week. maybe its a bit like many craft beers, one or two is grand but if you have a lot of them its very often a bad idea

I have definitley had times when really peaty Ardbegs reminded me of a doctor's surgery or hospital ward. It's that strong antiseptic smell, whether of iodine based products or industrial floor cleaner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

If i was to blind taste it i wouldnt in a million years call it peated!

Advertisement