Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetherspoons For Waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭amber69

Weatherspoons is a supermarket pub, it'll close the small trading pubs like the big supermarkets done to the local corner shops. I'd rather pay more for an atmosphere in a local owned pub. Low priced alcohol draws a certain type of drinker.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,256 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...its very easy to blame welfare classes and foreigners etc, but it actually has very little to do with it, we re experiencing a catastrophic ideological collapse globally, and nobody really knows what to do about it.....

plenty of cheaper tv 'alternatives' available out there! pubs are in serious trouble, along side most other sme's, some would be doing well, but many arent, many would have very high debts, so its all relative

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

I wouldn't i was blaming foreigners or blamings the welfare, I do believe the system is wrong, we cannot get staff because the job is tough, that is if you do it right, and the benefits that are available are too enticing to quit 190 a week and what ever else comes with that to break your back to clean rooms for what 300?? on a 30 hour week, Ive seen it so often i hear it so often, Can i do the FIS?? Can i do x amount of hours cos i get X and O's and that's a fact cos we are asked it 2 out of 3 applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

If they paid a proper wage & not a minimum wage well maybe they would have more applicants!

Obviously i was meant to write"I wouldnt SAY i was blaming foreigners or blaming welfare"

Proper wages? you need to quantify what proper wages are? Most places in hotels or bars people starting off come in on minimum wage, but this is changing only very slightly. These industries thrived on the influx of the first wave of foreign workers who came in with little English and strong work ethics but i know from experience and anecdotal evidence that these workers now don't need to do this type of work and most of the Irish were already not interested in this type of work, the welfare option is so much better than back breaking work on minimum wage, some hotels are still paying staff per room which i don't know who they get away with it in this day and age it really should be illegal.

The only Irish applicants we get are people who want to show the dole they applied for a job cos they never turn up for interviews, the rest of applicants are from Indonesia and the likes and that's not even joking, other than that your left with 16 17 year olds that only ever baby sat upto that point and need training in which is long and labourious increasingly so, which brings me back to the original poster where i came in is that the workers either just aren't there or they don't want to work I know this as i work in the industry we are left with very young people who litterally need babysitting which is very difficult in a fast paced working environment and then when your dependant on them they ring is sick its so difficult at the moment I've never known it so bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

I appreciate that it's not easy in recruiting the right people for a particular role & I think

that their should be more incentives in moving from SW to full employment.

There are too many reasons I assume to stay where 'you' are and not work!

Changes in the system should start there but there should also be changes in rates of pay.

Not a minimum wage, we all have to live & progress in life!

again, we ve completely flummoxed ourselves, we ve suppressed labour markets for decades, rapidly inflated the cost of living, most notably in property markets, all to the point of people being unable to meet their most critical of needs, this is in fact inducing highly complex social and mental health issues, most are experiencing rising anxiety levels, this is truly where the system is not just failing, but actually collapsing...

its not too long ago we were saying we would be working far less hours, and largely living a life of leisure, baring in mid, historically, humans have worked far less hours, 3-4 per day being most common, something has gone catastrophically wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Some amount of ideological horse excrement being spewed on here about exploitative publicans by people who wouldn't know how to run a pub or any business if their lives depended on it. The number of pubs in Ireland has been shrinking for decades, even before the lockdown, for lots of reasons, making so much money they can stop not being one of them.

Wetherspoons wouldn't be my cup of tea but it will bring footfall back into the city centre which will be good for all other city centre businesses including rival pubs. Good luck to the obnoxious Brexiteer Martin with his multi-million Sterling Waterford investment and good luck to locally owned pubs such as the lovely Geoffs Bar as a rising tide lifts all boats. 😉

funnily enough, that rising tide has a tendency to turn into a tsunami for some, that ship has sailed a long time ago now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Some of the Google Reviews : wetherspoons review - Google Search

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Wetherspoon is what it is, anyone going in there knows thats its going to be different to a normal pub, the facts of the matter is they invested millions in that premises when no other developer would touch it, the result is a city centre bar which turned out fantastic in my opinion. The place has been thriving since it opened, whether that will continue is anyone's guess, but it is bringing something new to the city, when was the last time Waterford actually got something new which wasn't a charity shop, a phone repair shop or a vaping place?

No one is forcing anyone to go in there, I can't stand when people who have decided that because its British run they have no interest in going in there, spread negativity about them instead, and spooting shite like they treat their staff like crap, I am curious as to how they actually know that to be honest.

My son left a job in the Granville to go in there, they are paying him €1 an hour more than he was getting in the Granville, he gets his food and drinks for free, whereas the granville deducted another 90c an hour for his food so he's actually getting €1.90 an hour in reality. Yes the workforce are very young and have had little or no experience, one would hope that improves in time thought.

I agree with the comments about young people not caring enough, that's just the way society has them these days, they have had too much handed to them growing up and many are forced out to work just to get them out of their rooms and into the big bad world in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Pints of lager are e7 or more in Dublin city centre now, I'm sorry, wetherspoons can have my e4. When you are there with a good gang, who really cares where you are drinking. I can afford e7 a pint, but I sure as well wont pay it any more. Spend it on travelling etc

In relation to getting workers now. Wages need to rise or for the young or drop welfare. Why the hell would you work twenty hours for free, when welfare gives you e208 for free. Rate is way too high, it should be based on what you paid into system

the reality is, us adults have actually screwed things rightly up for your kids generation, their lives are now far more precarious than our own lives, and large businesses such as wetherspoons are actually playing a major role in this. yes on the front of it, it certainly does seem more rosey, but the reality is in the background, such large businesses are aggressively undermining our economies and societies, undermining competition, and have the tendency to up and leave when suits, leaving a major black hole in its wake. we need to do everything we can to try prevent these negatives, as of course there are many positives for their inclusion in our societies and economies, but......

i wish your son and his colleagues the best, i done a little of this type of work when i was younger, im sure it done the world of good for me, but i did find it very stressful, and i think this industry is far harder now than ever, expectations from everywhere are simply greater, which makes for a very stressful working environment

Who would work those kind of anti social hours, the manic ness of the Camden or north side location for ten or twelve euro an hour. It gets you nothing in Dublin now...

I think there is a combination of kids having it way too easy now up to adult hood and then , the pay is just poor and cost of living so high, due to a rigged and corrupt system, they say, why bother...

so easy, that they can no longer meet their most critical of needs, i.e. property, health care and beyond, well easy alright!

I said up to adulthood. Where Irish kids are so mostly so protected and have everythimg done for them. Standing on your own two feet now, is difficult in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

Of course he can sell €2k of drink, but you’re missing the point. It’s €500 a week every week of the year that goes on Sky Sports just to have it. €500 a week for any pub to shell out before a drink is poured is huge money.

standing on your own two feet is near impossible now for many, we re in serious trouble, yes kids are spoilt nowadays, but their parents are probably more stressed than ever, something has to give, and soon

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭SeanieW1977

Was in there Friday evening, smashing spot, food very good value (& tasty) hard to know what impact it will have on local pubs / cafes & restaurants?

great crowd in there and good to see it, suppose it can’t be a negative?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Frozen chips. Enough said.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭tobey

the kylemore with cheep drink. suits Waterford to the ground. Great to have it open and i hope its is a catalyst, with city squares sale for the town. But the people who drink in there would only every spend 4 on a pint, if its not there it would be in the exchange, or alfies or kervicks.

Off your head if you think it's €4 for a pint in Alfie's.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,272 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭niallo76

Not saying it's by any means right,and I think personally it's to the detriment of,but don't most pubs/bars/hotels use frozen chips and veg??

i agree completely about young people starting there, hotels in that area pay their staff pittance and that's one of the reasons they are having so much trouble getting and keeping staff but to add insult to injury there are a few very well known hotels in the area if not all of the hotels in town that pay staff the minimum wage and deduct uniform and food and you cant even say to them no i will bring in my own food, its an absolute disgrace and should be banned the Irish Hotel Federation have a lot to answer for for allowing this to happen or not demand that minimum wage staff shouldn't have anything deducted from their wages so family run business's can line their pockets its immoral.

Our generation must take the blame really not the kids themselves, we raised them this way what other way do we look at it??

As for frozen chips

Everywhere i know use frozen chips bar most chippers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Everywhere uses frozen chips. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, but it's not a good one.

Geoffs dont use frozen chips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,272 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Excuse you there called 'Showstring potatoes' in Geoffs

Advertisement