Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,596 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

agreed, the initial point was that Murphy isnt the "card machine" that was being made out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭ersatz

Frawley goes as a 12, Carberry has been playing well with Munster for the last few games and Ross Byrne is next best on form. I know lots of people here say Byrne isn't a test ten, plays too deep, etc. But he's been playing extremely solidly for Leinster and knows many of the Irish players inside out. I'd agree that not having Sexton undermines our chances of winning down there but at the same time if the team is going well enough to beat the ABs in their own backyard then I wonder if Sexton's absence would tip it. He's lost plenty of times to the All Blacks. Leaving him at home maybe opens up a slot for Healy too. And whatever about this tour, I'd say now we really need to have one eye on the WC and at least one other ten will likely start at least one vital game in France. Playing other tens is now less about seeing how they go and more about giving them high pressure experience as starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Prendergast's cards have to be seen in the context of Connacht's ill discipline more generally. We have been given the most cards in the URC this season, nearly three times the sanctions imposed on Munster. some of Prendergast's cards are team yellows which landed on him. He's no hothead.

As regards Josh M., I'm not informed enough to know, but am looking forward to his contribution to Connacht next season, which I expect to be significant.

ah yes of course, same context has to be considered with murphys cards. It would be a fairly passive back row player not to be carded at some stage in their career.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

It's not too late to pivot away from Carbery, there just isn't anyone to pivot to. We probably have 15 games between now and the RWC which is loads of time, look at how quickly Doris, JGP or Keenan went from zero to nailed down starters. The alternatives at out half are all just a bit crap.

And when we don't have a clear alternative you either waste a load of time trying lads out knowing most/all won't make the grade, or you stick with what you have and make the best of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I would bring in Ben Healy. At least on the bench. Start Sexton for game 1, with Healy in the 22 shirt. Game 2, start Carberry with Sexton in the 22 shirt. Game 3, start Carberry and Healy in the 22 shirt. Ross Byrne is decent as is Burns and Carty but, I think Healy could get past them soon. HB will need a complete injury free run next season. He has too much ground to make up, I don't think he has enough time to make the necessary strides.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

I do understand the arguments for Carbery starting all 3. I just think that if he isn't good enough at 27 and after 32 caps, no amount of starts will make him good enough. Nobody can say he hasn't been given oppurtunities.

The Exeter game is the only 8/10 performance he's had since January 2019. That's just far too sporadic for a starting international 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

I don’t see any evidence that carberry offers anything R Byrne can’t do, we do know that Byrne is a lot more robust and can stand up better to the challenges of physical matches week in week out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

To be fair, between the end of January 2019 and his return at the end of Feb 2021, he was virtually constantly injured. He only started 4 games in that time.

I think there’s been some encouraging signs with his form in the last few months tho.

From an Ireland perspective, the France 6N game in particular is the obvious match to point to. He played very well in a match when 1) the pack were on the back-foot from a phenomenally physical French side and 2) the 9 had one of his poorer games in green. Those are pretty much the worst conditions you can describe for a 10, but he still played well.

Farrell has been incredibly good at blooding new players, but I wonder if we’re getting to the stage now where he starts to try get additional minutes into the back-up guys that we may need to rely on at the RWC.

I've tried to make a stab at guessing the squad he'll bring to NZ.

Given the expectation is for 5 games (3 tests, the Maori and at least one v a Super Rugby franchise), I've selected a squad of 45 players. I've read in various places they'll bring at least 40, so I could easily cut it back to that, but think if you want to get some younger development players in, 45 is the number.

My break down is as follows:

Full Back (2): Hugo Keenan, Michael Lowry

Wingers (6): James Lowe, Mack Hansen, Keith Earls, Andrew Conway, Jimmy O'Brien, Robert Baloucoune

Centres (5): Robbie Henshaw, Garry Ringrose, Bundee Aki, James Hume, Ciaran Frawley

Out Halves (4): Jonathan Sexton, Joey Carbery, Ross Byrne, Ben Healy

Scrum Halves (4): Jamison Gibson Park, Craig Casey, Conor Murray, Nathan Doak

Props (6): Andrew Porter, Tadhg Furlong, Cian Healy, David Kilcoyne, Finlay Bealham, Tom O'Toole

Second Rows (6): James Ryan, Iain Henderson, Tadgh Beirne, Ryan Baird, Thomas Ahern, Kieran Treadwell

Back Rows (8): Josh van Der Flier, Caelan Doris, Jack Conan, Peter O'Mahony, Gavin Coombes, Alex Kendellen, Nick Timoney, Cian Prendergast

This is more of a selection I expect Farrell to pick rather than who I myself would pick.

If the number is 40, then Earls, Frawley, Ross Byrne, Doak and Prendergast miss out imo.

Prop is a real position of concern. The fall off in quality after the main two is stark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

while prop is a concern id be more concerned about playing in NZ without any hookers in the squad......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Ooops, sorry. I had 4 hookers, Kelleher, Sheehan, Herring and I suppose Heffernan.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Don't think we'll bring 8 half backs. JGP, Casey and Murray are enough at 9. And one from Byrne or Healy will travel at 10. If Frawley travels he can be used as a 10/12 hybrid if necessary.

Also think only one of Timoney or Kendellan will go too. Probably the former. He has been in multiple Ireland training camps.

Then you can bring the three hookers missing.

I'm inclined to agree, but the problem with only bringing three in both positions is that any kind of injuries or knocks (or HIA issues), given the distance involved, mean you're left with the remaining two guys playing all the remaining games.

I think with the age profile of Sexton & Murray, there's logic in bringing the extra option in both positions in Healy/Byrne and Doak.

I guess having Frawley as a centre helps assuage some of that, but it's still sub-optimal to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Sexton will start at least 1 game in NZ. And rightly so. There’s more to consider here than just who is playing 10. If we go down there and win at least 1 Test then that’s just another box ticked to help push this team on. Not many teams have been able to get even that 1 Test win.

I think we’ll see Carbery start the first and Sexton start the second. If we’re in with a shot of winning the series after that then Sexton will start the third game. A series win in NZ would be massive and we’d be mad to turn the opportunity down. How many others have managed it? IIRC France did it in the 90s and that’s it. The confidence something like that could bring would be massive.

The situation at 10 is very much a known at the moment. We have Sexton. Then we have Carbery who needs to put together a run of consistent performances. 3 games in NZ isn’t enough for that. But if he can deliver even in 1 Test there it’s a big step forward from a confidence perspective. Then we have a group of guys who aren’t at the required level. No doubt someone will start the Māori games. I’m fecked if I know who that will be. But whoever is 3rd choice needs to be stepping up at provincial level. If they aren’t doing that and/or can’t do that then they won’t be doing it at Test level any time soon. Sure we need a 3rd choice 10, but the reality is that what we really need is a player to step up to be that 3rd choice. Nobody is doing that yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Not all back rowers get lots of cards. Richie McCaw only got 3 (I think) in his 148 tests 😁 Are you saying he was passive?

The Sexton question is an interesting one. When you toured SA without Sexton, it showed how good Jackson was as he really stepped up. Obviously things went pear shaped afterwards. Was Sexton injured for that tour or rested?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

The Sexton question is an interesting one. When you toured SA without Sexton, it showed how good Jackson was as he really stepped up.

Sexton was injured. But the difference between Jackson then and Carbery now is that Jackson had consistently performed extremely well in the season prior to that tour. He was staking a claim on a weekly basis with his performances for Ulster. Bar the Exeter game where he was fantastic, Carbery hasn't really done that.

Jackson also got his chance and grabbed it with both hands. He didn't need game, after game, after game to "improve" and "gain familiarity" before looking like a test quality 10. He got his opportunity and he took it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

It would be a travesty if the team wasn't picked to go all out to win the series. It's easily our best ever chance to do so. In addition we won't likely have another shot for 12 years. There will be 3 WCs in that time frame, and tbh, I'd consider winning a series in NZ to be a greater achievement than the WC.

I'd imagine Sexton will start the first test, Carbery or whomever for the 2nd, and Sexton again for the 3rd

McCaw played at a time where you'd have to GBH a player in order to get a yellow card.

Don't forget mealamus spearing BOD into the ground dislocating his shoulder wasn't even worth a penalty back then. (cos we haven't 😜)

Different times.....

Nowadays you can get red card for standing still (cipriani v munster)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Ffs I'd consider winning the world cup a greater achievement than a pre-season/ end of season series where both teams will be looking to build towards the world cup..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

The world cup surely is more important than a series in N.Z? I think depth building should be the focus. The kiwis will probably bring in some new lads. I'd like to see us get Casey more minutes and get Doak into the system. A new loosehead to play the Maori team. Loughman has been impressive this season. He's a good scrummager and looks decent in open play. I think Ross Molony deserves an opportunity too.

I can't wait for this series!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

except up until that tour madigan was (somehow) second choice behind sexton, jackson only started those tests because madigan was leaving leinster. now, imo he was always a much better 10 than madigan and he played brilliantly in all 3 tests, but that was the first time he had jumped ahead in the pecking order

• Registered Users Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The idea that Jackson proved he was test quality on that tour to SA is a myth. He had a very mixed tour.

By the time he played his last game for Ireland, he was no more proven at the top level than Carbery is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭ersatz

Yeah, memory is funny but I don't ever remember that tour for Jackson's 'arrival'. He never established himself as clearly superior to Madigan.

You can win the WC playing one, maybe two serious tests depending on your draw. To win a series you have to beat NZ twice in how ever many weeks. How many times has that happened, ever?

Being realistic, there's a better chance of us winning this series than there is of us winning the WC

• Administrators Posts: 53,833 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Your second paragraph kind of disproves your earlier point, doesn't it?

In what way, would you say? If you take SA, they had to beat Japan, Wales and England to win the WC. They'd lost pretty comprehensively to NZ in the group stages and dodged them again in the final.

The draw is such a massive factor in winning the WC, we've seen that repeatedly. We're facing the prospects of having to win a knockout game for the first time ever, versus NZ or France. The odds are not in our favor.

• Administrators Posts: 53,833 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

We're much more likely to win a tour of NZ than a WC because winning a WC is really, really difficult. It is the most difficult thing to do in rugby. It is more difficult than winning any arbitrary tour, and it's more difficult than winning a Six Nations. Comparatively, winning a tour is not that difficult, you need to win 2 games.

You have a limited squad, usually away from home for every fixture, you need to get out of a pool and then you need to win 3 games in a row. Those 3 games are going to be on back-to-back weekends, there's no breaks. Unless you are incredibly lucky, there's going to be no game in those weeks against someone like Italy, it's all going to be top teams. You will be facing opposition who will have their strongest team out, whereas in tours you will face teams likely to be trying new players or players in positions other than their usual one.

• Advertisement

How many teams have beaten NZ twice, in a short period of time? France are the only country with a tour series win down there iirc in the last 2+ decades.

I'm not looking to downplay winning the WC, but I do feel it would be a real missed opportunity to fail to go all out to win the series in NZ. England laid the groundwork for their WC win with wins down under.

Advertisement