Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disassembled bike for VRT

Options
  • 09-05-2022 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever presented a disassembled bike for VRT.

I am looking to buy a vintage moped in the UK. I take it apart and bring it home in my car. I have to VRT it within 30 days, but if I put it back together I have to pay to have it transported to the VRT centre.

What do you think will happen if I bring it for VRT in pieces in the boot of the car?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

It needs to be running to have ot VRT'd

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I presume you are aware of the additional customs charges and taxes since the brexit... Just highlighting it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I am thanks - the bike is a project, and of very little value, so the fees will be minor.

Are you sure - I mean you would assume so, but I cant see anything that says this is the case.

VRT is just a registration process after all. I have VRT'd cars before, and they never started them up or did any checks. They just check the paperwork and vehicle chassis numbers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Hmm, I've vrt'd a bike, the only thing they check is the VIN. You don't need to turn it on.

• Advertisement

If a bike/car has been clearly ridden or driven to the centre then they won't ask you to start it. I rode 3 bikes to the VRT centre and was never asked to start them however the one I brought in a van (prior to ne getting IBT) I was asked to start. You won't be able to VRT a boot full of parts

• Registered Users Posts: 34,691 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There really needs to be a process to allow people to import a non-running vehicle, restore it and then VRT it.

Usually this would be classic bikes/cars anyway so any possible tax loss to the exchequer would be tiny.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,673 ✭✭✭Allinall

Just VRT it when it's up and running.

I did the VRT on a bike recently and the lady commented that she'd seen me drive in... otherwise she would have asked to start it up. She paid allot of attention to the VIN...

You have to do it within 30 days of importing it.. I won't have it on the road in this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭goblin59

So when I got my R100 VRT'd last year. I was told it has to be in running order. They will only ask you to start the vehicle if it doesn't have an analog clock.

If the bike needs to be turned on to read the clock then they'll ask you to start it.

I got around the running order problem by saying I was on my way to buy a battery after the VRT and thats why it wouldn't start.

A guy in one of the Facebook groups was turned away because his bike wouldn't fire up. They love sending people away, my first time I was sent away because my proof of address was printed out from an ebill. Each other time they looked disappointed when I had everything in order. They're bollixes

I'm wrong, I did actually turn the key to show the KM's, but don't think I turned the engine over...

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭myclist

I took a bike for vrt to Tralee centre in a van. Was not asked to start it. Had to take it out for inspection. Email VRT with your query for the definitive answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Itineoman

If you don’t do it within 30 days they’ll put a penalty charge but if it’s an old bike then it shouldn’t be too much. I was charged for not registering a seven year old 600cc bike for about ten months after importing it - think it cost around 100 at the time and I was told by the man at the centre that I could appeal it if I wanted by stating that I had the bike off the road to make it roadworthy…..

If your bike is small cc / older than the cost should be proportionally lower I’d imagine. So it might be worth your while to take your time and take the hit when you are ready.

That was ten years ago for me and I’m only talking about VRT - not sure if there are implications for the Duty and VAT

To pay vat and duty the bike doesn't need to be presented... so the above is potentially a good option

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

to pay VAT & Duty it has to go on Revenue system, usually required to be in place BEFORE importation, otherwise NCT will refuse to VRT it.

Most people use a clearing agent to do that now, it's no longer a DIY job.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

There's hardly some way of twisting it where you could argue that you're not buying a vehicle, you're buying parts/products?

And then when you've assembled it, you can register it then as it's not a vehicle until it can be up and running?

(I'm talking out my hole, here, as I don't know the processes, but just throwing it out incase it may be a workaround of some kind).

It all seems a bit mad, however when I did this I brought the bike in then paid vat and duty through a clearing agent when it was here.

Now, you may need to pay vat and duty to get through customs, for that reason I came in through Belfast.

Advertisement