Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

Even still, be they 19 or 20 they have very weak builds.

Why isn't Zach Bay playing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Zach Bay was playing soccer for freebooters yesterday and got a goal I think, he concentrated on soccer afaik but infairness we haven't the attraction of other sports on kilkenny and we don't lose too many. It's just a pity Liam Moore in practicular didn't commit but infairness the team have carried on and got two results. Rode their luck at times but got the wins so hopefully they get a result against Limerick it would be a big boost

This is a sobering stat and continued with it is shocking although I thought we looked comfortable enough passing the ball around in the defence.Its good to see that we're competing physically at u20 so hopefully the gym in kierans is paying dividend. I see redmond at corner back he got 1 -11 i think in that minor lenister final and he now playing corner back. Anyone know what way is Harry shine?

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

I thought it was poor enough fare tonight munster final looked far superior but the limerick in first match v clare looked woeful and that was with cathal o Neill so you just don't know.

I thought tipp looked very slick v limerick in munster final so don't agree with a previous posters comment I suppose time will tell

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭usernamethatsnotinuse

Disappointing performance from about 15 mins in. Backs and midfield looked good until wexford pushed up on them, forwards not in it at all. Couldn't be blaming the pitch if they lost it, very lucky escape

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Kilkenny faded badly in that second half. Galway match taking it’s toll. On puckouts Kilkenny cleaned Galway out of it the last night particularly in extra time. We’re in an AI in spite of all the naysayers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Yeah AJ was corner forward and freetaker for 2 years at minor, hurled centre back for Rathnure last year was either Corner or wing back in different games for IT Carlow in the Fitzgibbon campaign, DJ obviously see's him as a back anyway. Suppose with the modern 2 man full forward line he could be the corner back with the free role akin to Barry Nash, he's very assured in possession too.

Post edited by Billy Ocean on

Of the starting 15, 6 are underage for Wexford next year along with Oisin Pepper unavailable with the ridiculous u20/Senior rule.

We're in the final now and I know I didn't predict that the night in nowlan Park against offally. We know it's not the best u20 team we've ever produced but there's some good young players and this should hopefully help their development.We lacked a bit of skill tonight hopefully it was underfoot conditions.Limerick were absolutely steeped against clare and home advantage has surely being a help to them.Limerick are on a high at the moment and will bring a big crowd to the final but who knows what might happen in a one off game. Our team is also a young team with a lot of players underage next year. Alot of lads won't be happy with their performance tonight but the galway match going to extra time definitely told because they were put on their feet In the last 10 minutes and just about hung on. Two weeks to try get things right and concentrate on Limerick and give a huge performance. No one will give them a chance after tonight's performance so they're going into the final with nothing to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭The Birchfield Boy

Munster quality was way higher but tbf the weather and pitch were very poor and add that to wexfords scrappy style and we got what we got. Kk look limited up front as well to be honest and over reliant on mad work rate and drennans frees. Some forwards probably see themselves as backs I'd imagine in the long term.

Limerick will be a good test and hopefully make for a better game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Iecrawfc

Didn't Kilkenny hammer Limerick at U17 level 3 years ago, i know theres different rates of progress bit generally i couldn't see a one sided game in the final, will be close i would think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Village87

Kilkenny find it very hard to get a score and have little goal threat. A high percentage of scores come from frees.

Strange feel about the u20 competition and Kilkenny's achievement so far. Galway were missing Gavin Lee and Tiernan Killeen. Wexford missing Oisin Pepper and Limerick will be without Cathal O'Neill. Its almost comes across as a secondary competition now

Post edited by Village87 on

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

They did but score line was a bit flattering. Galway also hammered Limerick in 2020 semi, but again, the final score line was a flattering.

On an underage form line, there is absolutely no reason for this match to be as lop sided as some are suggesting it might be. People may be making too much of the low scoring last night. This Wexford team were Leinster champions at minor and beat both Dublin and Kilkenny en route. I feel conditions last night were far worse than people realise.

I might also add that people might be getting carried away with standard of Munster U20 championship. Tipp and Waterford whom Limerick beat narrowly in semi and final, were poor at Minor in 2019 and didn’t win a match between them in 7 matches (only match won was between themselves). Added to this Limerick played both matches at home where now the whole county's confidence is sky high. Limerick teams don’t expect to be beaten at moment, most especially at the Gaelic Grounds.

I believe an important factor is that this Kilkenny team will have the belief that they are able for Limerick, in fact i'd say they would fancy their chances more versus Limerick than they did v Galway.

On the flip side, there does appear to be something of a pattern that Munster teams (Limerick especially) are kicking on better post minor than Galway and Leinster counties.

Any word on venue?

Football final has been sent to Carrick on Shannon, incredible decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭usualstripes

I agree re finding it hard to get scores but the conditions under foot yesterday evening weren't great. In saying that if you look at our minors, u20s and seniors we are not making the most from our forwards. Their movement is obviously not being worked on enough in training. Fast low ball to forwards who are out 3 or 4 yards in front of there men is not what we are doing but would reap more rewards for attacking play and isolating and opening up defences. Easier said than done but that's where we need to be aiming for. That and turning over more puckouts. Hopefully they can get the win v Limerick as it would certainly be a shot in the arm for some of these lads hoping to progress to the senior set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭KK36

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭usernamethatsnotinuse

after the 15th minute there was only one score from play from the forwards, half time substitute jack doyles goal, conditions were nowhere close to being that bad that none of them could score. Acres of space in front of the full forward line for large parts of the second half and never made any use of it, no movement at all. Wouldn't pick anyone out last night from the forwards for the senior team. Puckouts were as infuriating to watch as the seniors. Hopefully they cant be as bad again

Usually plenty of changes over the 3 years, only 7 of the Wexford starting team from winning Leinster minor in 2019 started last night, 2 more came on as subs.

Final is down for May 21/22, Limerick Seniors have no game that weekend while Kilkenny/ Wexford is on May 21, common sense would be play it May 22 in Thurles as a double header with Tipp and Cork in Senior which is on at 2 that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Well done to the U20's last night a hard fought and scrappy game and hopefully better conditions and a better game will be on view for the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Limerick seniors play Clare this weekend and there's a possibility that Adam English and Colin Coughlan could be used given that some senior regulars are carrying injuries/niggles. Losing 1 or both of them would severely dent Limerick's chances. Did the Cats lose any U20's to the senior team?

I would see the final as a 50/50 game. Kilkenny did beat Limerick when these teams were U17 and were much better overall so i can't see why Limerick would be considered big favourites at all. Strangely enough Limerick have actually played better since O'Neill left against Cork and Tipp. The Clare game was played in totally miserable conditions, and while the Banner could/should have won, neither team could be judged on that game. Clare were beaten at home in good conditions the following week by Cork, and Limerick beat Cork away rather easier than expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

oneills.com GAA Hurling All-Ireland U-20 Championship Final

Kilkenny v Limerick, FBD Semple Stadium, Thurles, 1.30pm. (TG4)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Tipp v cork is on at 4pm that day. Potentially a dead rubber game.

Yeah just seen that, definitely seen Tipp/ Cork down for 2 but must have just been a provisional schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Rumours that TJ has left the panel. I have no idea if it's true or not, just wondering if anyone else has heard anything.

I doubt it although rumours have circulated since the galway game. We all probably heard what was supposed to have happened and what cody said . Richie and tj didn't come home on the team bus apparently. Infairness I do think Richie Reid is getting a raw deal and I would of thought he was ahead of Tom phelan in the pecking order.

Is there any chance of Harry being available in two week? It's unlikely and he looked in awful pain against galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭kentu

I really hope they are false rumours That you are after putting up just now...It would surely be the last straw for cody if it was true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Kk have no one on the senior panel but there's no way kiely will play coughlan or English in dead rubber games and rule them out of the u20.its a golden generation for Limerick and they will want to keep the momentum going in the county and kiely knows better than use them now.

On form you would have to have Limerick warm favourites and there's a resemblance between the u20 ànd the senior team playing in triangles but it's a two horse race and hopefully our lads will give their best performance and Limerick will be below par.

A concern for us is we haven't threatened the goal and we'll probably need a few if we're to win the final. Harry shine is a goal threat but unfortunately he probably won't be fit.

We've being bossed for years in the physical stakes at this level but hopefully now we've got things together in this area so it will be intresting to see how we fare up against Limerick who have led the way with s&c .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Well it's not actually a dead rubber game. Depends on Kiely's plans. Limerick are now guaranteed to progress from Munster but a loss to Clare means it could be a Waterford/Clare Munster final, depending on results and scoring aggregates. I strongly believe that Clare will definitely win 1 of their 2 games in Ennis. They may go all out for this one and get a Munster final place done and dusted with a game remaining. The U20 team have really picked it up after that near horror show V Clare. Forwards are really going well. Harry will be a major loss to the Cats if he fails to recover, but anything is possible in this final. Limerick are still without Hegarty (Gearoid's brother) Keane, who was captain of that U17 team and outstanding corner back Lyons. A big plus is that Pat Donovan has recovered and is a huge addition to the team. Kiely had given him game time with the seniors in the Munster league before his injury.

Advertisement