Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planting olive trees

Options
  • 08-05-2022 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We are thinking about getting a mature olive tree for our back garden. I see that most garden centers have them already in containers. Do you know if there’s any that would offer planting them directly in the soil?

We are based in South Co. Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

The latest youj can plant into soil directly is end March.... is it for appearance or fruit as i am goung planting next planting season all going well... I am opemn to new ideas...

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Appearance. As far as I know, they will never develop mature olives as the weather is not hot enough

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭macraignil

I don't agree that trees that have been grown in containers cannot be planted directly in open soil after March. I think there may be some confusion here about the advice given for winter dormant deciduous trees supplied bare root as these should go in the ground before the new leaves start to develop in the spring. Since the root ball in the container can be better preserved in the process of planting in to soil there is no restriction on what season this can be done once the ground is not frozen solid and enough water is given to the tree as the roots get established in the soil. I have planted pot grown trees after March without a problem but it would be important to check if it has become pot bound and untangle the roots to some degree if this has happened.

As evergreens the olive would be usually supplied in containers so the roots stay active to keep the tree alive but not in the Dublin area myself to advise which garden centres also offer a planting service. No harm asking at the ones you have found to have mature olives for sale as it would make sense for these garden centres to facilitate planting to encourage sales and most I'd expect to have names of landscapers available for jobs in their area..

Happy gardening!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Not so many years ago I would say don't waste your time planting olives. Is it global warming but we've had one survive and thrive now for a number of years outside in a 250l pot?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭blackbox

I think the advantage of keeping them in containers is that you can keep them drier in winter.

They are very hardy but don't like wet cold.

We actually got one today in Doyle’s in Cabinteely. 790 euro and 100 euro planting fee. Quite happy with it. It’s mature, but not too mature either. Girth of nearly 60 cm. Quite happy with it. They’ll deliver it and plant it next week

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LurkerNo1

Pot grown can be planted anytime of the year.

Before you go spending big money OP on an Olive tree you got to do your research into the growing conditions you have to make sure it will the site.

Thanks for this. We had a landscaper a year ago that said that our back garden was fine for an olive tree and I have a neighbour as well that planted one last year with no issues. It should be ok (I hope!).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭macraignil

Just planted one I bought in Aldi for 20euro. Not even a metre high in the ground but looks fairly healthy to me. I know it is a bit of a stretch for it to do well in the garden here but picked the sunniest most sheltered spot I could fit it in and hopping for the best. Always thought it would be nice to have one.

Happy gardening!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 kinney

My mom plented an olive tree last year. She's really happy the took root very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

60mm rather than cm I take it or otherwise that monster is worth a fortune. Nice trees for a garden, I've 4 of them in raised beds for the past 6 years and they're super slow growing. Mine have gotten a bit taller and busier over the years but I doubt the girth has increased much if anything over those years. Wouldn't have initially expected them to be suitable to our inclement climate but they're surprisingly hardy and all mine survived the beast from the east without issue or protection. They do shed a surprisingly large number of leaves which are very slow to degrade but a quick sweep is all that's required.

Advertisement