Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Special Forces ultimate hell week

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭lurker2000

All credit to the girls for getting through the physical challenges better than some of the men .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Damien360

Although I didn’t like 22, I think the method of removing him was wrong. To his credit, he must be incredibly strong mentally to still be smiling on the interview. Cockiness will only go so far to hide disappointment.

Ballymun lad saying he would steal your runners as an intro had us roaring with laughter.

The girl 27 is built like a tank and will go far despite getting almost booted off the hill climbs for coming second last.

I’m beginning to really like the DS plant. Very funny man. The scene around the hurling lad snoring was funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

The number 11 has been on RTÉ today show a few times, about doing ultra marathons or something. Guess he is a cert to complete this course.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Donnie2020

None of the other recruits had been doing any complaining about 22 either??????

Seems a fast 1 if you ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

It was completely the me feiner personality of 22 that got him dumped. Was pretty funny tv seeing him in the bed with the others still going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Damien360

That’s a tough one. I reckon the recruitment usually is about teamwork but this show is a competition.

The DS basically told him he didn’t like him and he was gone.

Now if he told him teamwork was key and he wasn’t helping the team, as was explained by the DS away from the group, and had said that to the whole group instead of “your out of here”, I would have accepted that.

It’s the manner of his dismissal was wrong. I do understand why. Not a likeable personality but he was big enough to recognise that himself.

I don't think it's that tough on 22, he is exactly the wrong type of person for the Special Forces even if there's lots of situations he'd be suited to.

By booting him off so publicly, Goggins has completely re-asserted control over the group, not that it was in doubt but he's also changed the group dynamics. It'll be interesting to see if group cohesion improves in his absence, or how it changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

The reason they got rid of 22 the way they did was to make the plant worthwhile. They made it look like it was insider info that they determined 22 was a twat when it was plain to see. But them having a plant in there, they needed to tell the viewers that it was worthwhile to have the plant.

I'm hoping the plant tries to sabotage others to see what their reaction will be.

But the DS hadn't lost control ?? Very few people in the group looked up to 22, most had him figured. There was group cohesion anyway as proved by all of them helping each other make up the beds while the only one who didn't was 22!

I agree with Damien360... I have no problem with getting dismissed but the manner in which 22 was dismissed seemed very off. It seemed personal (remember he made it up and down the mountain within the time, also remember the girl 27 struggled completely on her own up and down that mountain, no team work there, every man/women for themselves!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭siblers

The blonde one was in bed but noth8ling was said to her, unless she was actually helping out.

22 must have been very bad to be axed like that, don't think I've ever seen someone removed like that before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭siblers

They didn't like him because he was acting like a leader but not doing anything himself. The undercover guy said he was always telling people what to do but not actually doing anything himself. Also said he was 'DS watching' which indicates he was acting up in front on the DS to try impress them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,880 ✭✭✭billyhead

He came across as a complete tool. Clap Clap boom. WTF. Have you ever heard such shite?

There was a guy kicked off in the first season on the last day, iirc, same sort of thing, iirc, he just couldn't keep quiet.

I still reckon he was removed for the good of group dynamics. A strong personality can really sway a group, and I suppose the DS's thought he was inhibiting the group in some way.

(I remember years and years ago an inter county hurler was retired by management (unofficially) because even though he was a great individual player he was seen as a moaner who brought the lads around him down in training. The management reckoned the damage he was doing to the lads around him outweighed his individual good aspects.)

That was hilarious.

"Do your motivation thing"

"Clap clap boom"

"Well you were fcuking sh!te today!"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,180 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I personally don't think the DSs are being as mean so far this season...its like they've mellowed slightly 🤔

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭appledrop

I don't agree with way 22 was let go.

Now I know we are not seeing everything but their reasons for letting him go don't fully stack up for me.

Most of tasks to date all about getting yourself though.

They should have imposed a team task were he was challenged and called out if not a team player at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I wonder how long they had to get to the top of the mountain, down, up and back down again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

From the road to the top of Sugarloaf Hill, back down to the road, around the statue and back to the start point is 2.5km. Twice makes it 5km in total.

The initial climb from the road to the top of Sugarloaf Hill is 1.1km with 300m ascent up a rough scree track. A walking route planner puts that at 44 minutes and the full 5km at 2 hours 46 minutes, but that doesn't make any allowance for the extra weight they're carrying.

The 1.1km climb is hard work and not much easier on the way down. You have to brace your legs almost every step. Add 20% to 30% of your bodyweight on your back and it gets tougher again. It's a continuous leg workout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

22 was right to be removed in that manner. I have seen people go through 9 months of a course and on the last day when everyone was was getting ready to complete it, a guy has been pulled aside and told they didnt make the grade. It happens.

They could have instead put him under pressure, tied to humiliate him, pushing him to his limit, and on the last episode, 5 minutes from the finish, took the arm band. But thats not what happened, that would be bad form.

A "DS Watcher" by the way, is someone who performs for the explicit purpose of looking good for them, not the team. Basically a bluffer or a pretender.

This had absolutely zero to do with justifying a premise of having a plant, for the viewer.

It was all about him and his buddy...his ego. There's no room for that in teamwork. Getting into bed when there's still work to be done, I couldn't believe it.

A clear message has been sent, bluff all you want, look after No.1 all you want, hang on as long as you want. If you are not working as part of a team, you are gone. Now the remaining students know it.

Boom boom clap...not sure in what environment that shyte works in. I can categorically say, it doesn't work in the military, maybe as sarcasm. The more sh1t you go through as a team, the more pain you go through as an individual, the more you realise that everyone around you is suffering but is still helping, thats where motivation comes from...boom boom clap is a 2 second soundbite that works for less than the time it takes to perform it.

#11 needs to keep his mantras to himself. None of that shyte works when the pressure is on. It might be enough to get you to go out and walk in the rain or something, I don't know.

I just need to point out, that what they are going through, is less than what a general recruit would go through on a weekly basis. Its very tame.

I hope #27 goes far. She gets it, she stopped feeling sorry for herself, didnt let the pain or brain gremlins get to her and she performed. Really not an easy thing to do. I really hope she makes it to the end. Great work out of her.

The boxer lad pushed himself too, pity he didnt make the time. Seemed like a nice enough lad.

• Advertisement

How do you rate the 20 year old from KK? You seem to have a good insight into judging characters. I really like him, seems the real deal.

BTW.. I would have hopped into bed myself as soon as I had my own bed made up and not out of an unwillingness to help others. I'm always putting myself last to people, it's in my nature so I would be always inclined to help but I would have read that situation differently.

I would have thought...tick tick.. we're on a severe time limit to get into bed without getting punished if we don't make the time and there's less chaos if everyone just jumps straight into their beds once their ready and not a collective push at the last minute.

Clearly I don't have military mindset 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭straight

It looks like all these muscle guys from the gym don't last very long every year. The DS's just look like a more normal build.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

I was flat out at the gym for years doing weights before covid interrupted and one time I went up to the mountains for a 3hr hike with a couple of lads who were into mountain biking and 10k runs etc. I was 130kg+ and 6 foot 2 whilst the 2 lads were half that weight and 5 foot 7 or 8.

I was strong as an ox at the time and could have bench pressed the two of them together. I thought I was fit but I lasted about 10 minutes before I had to stop for a breather and they dragged me through the rest of it whilst they didn't break a sweat. I would have done a bit of cardio in the gym but it was such a different type of fitness and strength required.

I'd imagine an average height with an athletic build and an above average strength is your ideal for the special forces. Anyone carrying unnecessary weight is going to struggle with it. I think anyone too cut is going to struggle too. Wasn't there a few people in previous series who got hypothermia in the cold/water because they didn't have enough body fat to cope.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

How do you mean what they are going through is pretty tame compared to a general recruit? Like the narrator said they have only had 2 hours sleep since the start of the course in the last episode and that seemed to be day 3 of the 7 days. 2 hours sleep over 72 hours would seem extreme enough. They are also food deprived on top, one meal a day is what they've had. Do you mean the physical tests they do are pretty tame, like in real life general recruits would be made climb up the mountain 3 or 4 times rather than the two times they did?

On #11 I didnt really get what the DS were on about with his mantras, like I never heard him chanting them out like a yogi. He said 'back yourself' was one of them becasue when he was an alcoholic he never backed himself. It just sounded like a motivational tool for himself and the few others around him and he is always near the front of the group when it comes to the physical events. I think he will make it to the end, seems he really wants it having been in the FCA but not pursing the military becasue his alcoholism got in the way, he is trying to make up for lost time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Saw the plant and another DS from the show having coffee earlier in a Costa in Kildare. I didn't go near them but saw a few people pointing them out. Must be weird going from operating in the shadows to being spotted out and about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭appledrop

Definitely true. On the celebrity version, Peter Stringer was on of the best and he is tiny.

But he must have unreal core body strength.

He's a fitness freak. Lad is shredded. Could grate cheese on his abs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

I train in the gym a fair bit but it's the intensity that matters.

If you're on the mobile between sets you're at nothing aerobically. You can get a muscular look and be very strong in once off lifting. But you won't have stamina. I've seen lads, powerful build, covering a silage pit and flip a tractor back wheel a few times. But they are bet when the pit is only half covered.

Ideally in the gym you want to be flying between work stations, out of breath with the lowest possible recovery time. With time on a threadmill, cross trainer, bike. And bursting your gut the whole time.

You see very few doing that though. The individualistic nature of most gym training leaves people ambling along with no one pushing them, bar in a class. There's a great value in group and team training as the tempo gets upped and you have to keep up.

But he's far from tiny. He's not tall but he has huge muscle mass and low body fat.

I was talking to him in person and his chest girth and arm size is huge.

Stringer is actually a gym devotee who is aerobically fit and mentally a tough hardy bastard.

So many big gym men have no stamina and are show ponies. i.e. not really that hardy.

• Advertisement

Paradoxically Irish men of say the 1930s to 60s would perform better. They cycled 50/60 miles to matches and made nothing of it.

They worked manually, farms, bogs, buildings etc. They grew up in large families and mightnt be eating meat everyday. They were used to outdoor hardship. Today has different stresses, commuting to work, house prices, social media BS and image expectations. But the hardships of the first half of the last century are more suited to hell week.

Lean fit men. No body fat of filled with sugar.

P.s. Not forgetting the ladies. Often they did a lot of outdoor work bucket feeding calves, drawing water from the well when there was no electricity. We should never forget those generations. And those people are getting scarcer by the year.

Advertisement