Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Create wifi from ethernet port

• 09-05-2022 5:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have managed to get a cat 6 ethernet cable from my router out to my shed and I now have an internet port in my shed. Stupid question. How do I get wifi now in the shed?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭niallb

You need a WiFi Access Point.

Depending on how many devices you want to use and how fast you want your connection to be you can get something suitable from between €30 and €200. If you want to give good coverage throughout your garden you could increase your spend a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Thanks. But that would be a different wifi network then or the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

it is different but the same. You can create the identical SSID and password on your new AP in the shed and devices will connect automatically. You may have issues with your device sticking on the original Wifi as you walk out there even if the signal is very low but a quick disconnect and connect will connect to the stronger/closer AP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭pugleon

You can get a basic plug repeater that will join your existing routers wifi SSID. TP link have some good low cost options for these range extenders with ethernet port. You generally just press a button on your existing broadband router to join the two devices and extend the wifi same wifi name/SSID then. Currys have one for 30 euro

If you want to have the option of both ethernet ports available and wifi, and only have a single cable to the shed you could look at a second router with wifi. Again should be less than 100 euro.

An access point will put you on the same network via a different wifi. Your existing router will hand out your IP address and it will be on the same network you use in the house. It's probably the most convenient way to be connected if you share printers or other devices.

If you call the new one shed-wifi it'll be easy to tell the difference. Much harder to work things out if you give them the same SSID and password as in the house, but if that's what you'd prefer to do just make certain that they are operating on different channels and don't let them do Auto.

The best answer for you depends on the budget you want to spend among other things.

If having the same SSID is important to you, consider a mesh system that does ethernet backhaul like the Google Nest Wifi or TPLink Deco.

Currys have the Deco M4 system with 3 units for €130 at the moment. Their more expensive units have more features, but that will connect over ethernet and also has a second ethernet port if you need to connect other devices.

That could leave you two to cover your house along with the one in the shed all with an app to manage them.

Your ISP Router is just used as a modem with a mesh setup, so it might or might not suit you. It would mean though that you own your own wireless network, so don't need to reconfigure it anytime you change broadband provider.

Don't buy a repeater/extender unless it says it has an access point mode - they feed a wireless connection to the ethernet port rather than the other way around.

CeX can be a surprisingly cheap source of decent older wifi routers, but do look up reviews of anything they have to see if it suits your needs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭DeconSheridan

if your not familiar with IP addressing and digging into router/access point administration settings you'd be better of to just get a wifi extender that will auto do everything for you once you connect it to the ethernet cable that's connected to your internal house network. It can get confusing quickly doing this manually as the two devices cannot be on the same logical network.

The difference between a router and an access point is important here.

As has been said, a router will connect a new network that can't have the same addresses as your home network.

The difference with an access point is that it connects the wireless devices to the same IP network and does not hand out new addresses.

Many devices calling themselves Wifi Extenders just copy the wireless traffic and bounce you back to the main wireless network.

If you're thinking of buying something put the model name up here for advice on whether it's suitable or not.

It would be a mistake to buy something that doesn't do what you want it to do simply because it's easier to configure.

You only have to configure it once and can get help. You'll be using it day in and day out for a long time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭DeconSheridan

Yes there is differences, some devices available do have a multi function Operation Mode available.

For anyone interested in this thread to clarify the differences available on some devices:

Wireless Router: In this mode, the device enables multiple users to share the Internet connection via Ethernet port. The LAN devices share the same IP from ISP through Wireless port. While connecting to Internet, the Ethernet port works as a WAN port.

Access Point: In this mode, this device can be connected to a wired network and transform the wired access into wireless that multiple devices can share together, especially for a home, office or hotel where only wired network is available.

Range Extender: In this mode, this device can copy and reinforce the existing wireless signal to extend the coverage of the signal, especially for a large space to eliminate signal-blind corners.

*Careful if changing modes as some devices no longer give admin access on the same ip so you could get locked out of the admin, read device manual for info. hard reset button is your friend here if you get stuck.

If I go for an access point, does that mean if I put wifi speakers like sonos speaker out there, I will be able to see all of them from my phone?

• Advertisement

Sonos are very fussy about being on the same WiFi connection. Most other options just need you to be able to connect to the same network which can be by ethernet or by any attached WiFi network.

Why that one?

It's got a lot of complicated functions that I'd be surprised if you'd benefit from and is intended to be one among many.

That said, it's cheap and should work ok for you. It could be trickier to configure than a simpler device.

Thanks any suggestions on what would be a good one?

Sure

A few more details of what you're trying to solve first:

What model is your existing router?

Does the CAT6 run go all the way to where you'd use WiFi most or just nearer?

Do you have one or several blind spots in your home? How far from the router? Are the walls concrete, stone or foil lined?

Is Sonos specifically something you want, or just any decent WiFi speakers? Do you have existing stereo system or speakers you like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

That EAP115 doubtfully worth money - 100Mbps LAN, 2.4GHz only, max300Mbps (this is Max theoretical, you still limited to a 100Mbps due to LAN)

If not going to mesh, just get some standard "router", set static IP on it, disable DHCP(both v4 and v6) and other unwanted features, set WiFi to your preference. Or just use it in AP mode.

You gain WiFi and will have spare Ethernet for wired connections.

AX1500 only 20 dearer then EAP115 but its WiFi6.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/wifi-router/archer-ax1500/#specifications

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

If you can do Poe then buy a UniFi Wi-Fi hotspot, about 100 quid and they are perfect. They just do what they say on the tin and no messing around

A POE adapter for a unifi ap is only an extra €15 or so if you don't already have the option which is almost certain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

If building-up budget and looking into PoE then i will add Aruba for consideration

https://www.arubainstanton.com/products/access-points/access-point-11/#specs

Will you have a desktop or any other internet connected devices in the shed?

Would you hope to have a sound system there too?

It might be worth getting a unit with a few ethernet ports for permanent connections.

Anything you can keep off wifi improves performance for everything that's left.

Router: The Eir standard one. It's in hall.

Cat 6 goes all the way from the hall, to the shed and ends with an ethernet port.

Have existing sonos speakers all over the house.

In the shed, I have an exercise bike and may put a cheap TV on the wall and set it up with netflix. Sonos speaker would be good to pound some beats while on the bike

• Advertisement

Thanks for the answers. Having that much Sonos gear changes the landscape a bit!

The "Eir Standard one" varies a little depending on when you got your install.

What they have in common is that they were the cheapest half way decent box they could find in bulk anywhere in the world at that time.

I've struggled with Sonos before when there were multiple access points.

I'd suggest now that you get a reasonable mesh system which supports ethernet backhaul like Deco M5 in Currys or CeX and turn off the wifi on your Eir router. Plug one unit in to the eir router directly and run the cable to your shed from the other port on the MESH ROUTER rather than the Eir router. Connect a second mesh unit in the shed and use it there. As far as Sonos is concerned they'll look like the same network and shouldn't trigger the refusal to work in multiple locations. You'll have to reconfigure for the new network from your Sonos App.

Most mesh kits are a pack of three, so it leaves you a mesh point to place in another location in the house if there are areas of weaker signal. This one can be wirelessly connected so you can be flexible with placing and it gives you an ethernet port for a TV or PC or something if there's one nearby.

Advertisement