Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭abff

Do you know that for a fact or is that just an opinion based on how they normally operate? It just seems like a crazily high charge and the fact that they specifically state per one way flight on the previous charge, but don’t specify the same thing in relation to a name change made me unsure.

Actually, as it happens, it doesn’t really matter as I’ve just looked up the cost of booking new flights and it’s less than a single name change fee, let alone a double one.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

That's not really correct. it is one booking (one transaction, one booking reference), with two flights in the booking. The difference with Ryanair is that they don't have a condition that you must use the flights concurrently, each flight is independently valid.

OP by the looks of it it's the per passenger or per one way flight, so if the bookings were separate you'd pay twice. Though it's ryanair...they usually find their own reasons for charges!

Thanks LiamaDelta. That ties in with my interpretation, but I was really hoping to hear from someone who had actually done it, so that I would know a definitive answer. I guess I could test the waters by taking it through to the final billing point, but not actually go ahead. But, as I said in my last post, it’s not germane to the current situation as the cost of booking new flights is a lot less than even the single change fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

I think that's actually part of the reason they keep the name change fee high. It stops people booking extra seats 'just in case' and then changing the names later on. Selling more seats is better for their stats and also I think they don't have to return taxes and charges if the person is a no-show

I agree.

By the way, you mention refunds of taxes and charges. I’d just like to share my experience in his regard. I booked flights to Portugal in July 2020, but decided to cancel because of COVID. I was unable to submit a claim for a refund of the taxes and charges until after the return flight as they needed to be sure I wouldn’t actually turn up. I heard nothing from them until March 2021 (8 months later😱🤯) and then got the following response (copied verbatim):

“Dear Customer,,

I acknowledge receipt of your recent refund request.

In accordance with Article 4.2 of our General Terms and Conditions of Carriage, we refund only the government taxes that may be included in the ticket price and, thus, passed on to our passenger’s subject to a deduction by us of an administration charge of £17/20EUR. Our prices do not include any other third-party fees and charges for costs we incur to provide our services (such as airport and security charges, maintenance fees etc.). We bear the costs for these services. All other monies paid are non-refundable.

In this case, the administration fee exceeds the total amount of government taxes included in the price and clearly indicated in the price break-down at the time you made your booking, unfortunately, no refund is due in this instance.

We recommend that you contact your travel insurer regarding this claim.

Yours sincerely,

Ryanair Customer Services.

Unfortunately, email replies to this address cannot be accepted.”

I wasn’t surprised to hear that I was getting nothing back, but I was a trifle surprised that it took 8 months for them to respond to my claim and I have to say that their definition of “recent” is somewhat broad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Clon63

Have booked a BA Economy fare to Heathrow with a hold bag. This fare also allows you to change the actual flight to an earlier/later flight on the day but just on the day which is a nice benefit.

Anyone done this before and was it handy enough? Have a long gap in Heathrow between incoming Virgin Atlantic flight on separate ticket so would be nice to switch to earlier flight if all goes smoothly

• Registered Users Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'm flying with Aer Lingus for the first time in ages next week, to Portugal.

Do I have to use the Verifly app? Seems like an awful lot of palaver to register an account. Will my Covid cert and boarding pass on the phone do? (if Covid cert even needed any more!)

I flew with Aer Lingus in March and I didn’t use the app. It seems unnecessarily complicated and I think I saw a discussion elsewhere saying that it’s a load of rubbish. I wouldn’t bother if I was you.

That's exactly what I thought, and hoped!

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭tanka006

Hello All,

I have had both of my hips recently replaced & as a result i need assistance in Dublin Airport T1, I have booked it with the airlines (Finnair going out & Ryainair returning)

Does anyone know where / what i do in Dublin?

Thank You

Tanka

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭rameire

In T1 the assistance area is to the right as you enter the Terminal on departures level.

More detail is in the link below.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

FYI Gatwick South terminal has reopened , EI and FR have moved back there. very limited food options, dont expect to get food if coming back of an evening

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

You can’t check in online without VeriFLY. Flew this exact route 3 weeks ago.

So if you don’t use VeriFLY, you have to queue up at the Aer Lingus desk to check in where they’ll check your covid cert and your Portuguese passenger locator form. We had them printed out and they looked at them for about a second. As the flight was early, we checked in the night before

I have a check-in bag, so have to queue up anyway (or do they have bag/tag machines? vaguely remember using them before).

Flight is late morning, so I'm hoping the queues won't be too bad.

DFA website says the passenger locator form is no longer required?

I see the passenger locator requirement was removed this week. Grand

They have bag drop but you can’t use that as you won’t be checked in without VeriFLY. If it was me, I’d download the VeriFLY app and upload everything there, check in on the app and use bag drop.

We couldn’t as one of our group had the recovery cert which VeriFLY didn’t accept. Uploading a couple of things on VeriFLY is definitely way, way less hassle than queuing up with every other Aer Lingus passenger who didn’t use VeriFLY in the airport IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Two questions, flying to Portugal with AER Lingus.

1. Are passenger locator forms still required.

2. I am a non priority passenger. Can I carry on a backpack and store under seat. It's a standard size backpack.

• There is one thing I think I should warn passengers departing from Italy. On Friday I was in a group of 19 fellow travellers at Venice Marco Polo Airport, all travelling on board Aer Lingus to Dublin. Check-in was painfully slowly conducted by the same officials (two women) who subsequently attended the boarding gate. We were all wearing the standard disposable “medical masks” as check-in, through security, to boarding gate, but at the latter those majority of us wearing those masks (plus others not in the group) were turned away and denied boarding unless we went upstairs to the bar and purchased same. It was a massive rush and panic to get these FFP2 masks, about which there were no notices, advertisements etc, as boarding was closing. Once on board the Aer Lingus crew were stunned to learn of this rule. At an adjacent gate, people boarding British Airways were allowed board without problem with just “medical masks”.

So be warned. Certain officials , at least at Venice, are enforcing this rule aggressively. Probably likewise at other airports in Italy, and maybe in other countries for all I know. Just have yourself armed with a couple of these masks in case they are required.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭x567

The government-imposed rule is that "All passengers entering Italy by plane, ferry, train or coach must wear an FFP2 mask in order to enter the country." FFP2 masks are mandated on public transport and were required when de-planing, at check-in and boarding on a trip to Rome recently. The EI crew even changed into FFP2 masks on arrival. Don't think your Venice ground staff are to blame...

• Probably not indeed. Nobody said a thing to us arriving to Venice with non-FFP2 masks at any time, only Italian passengers were wearing them as they were hearing it, no doubt, all the time on media. Aer Lingus crew had no idea about it. I think it was being enevenly enforced, which probably caught everyone non-Italian out. Virtually half the plane (most Irish passengers) were whizzing up to the bar to buy these masks.

You don’t need a passenger location form anymore

Your ticket will tell you what bags you can bring on board. They’ll have reminded you a couple of times too. Sounds like you’re asking can you bring a back on board when you didn’t pay for one. You might get lucky and they allow it. They’ll probably charge you at the gate though. They did for a few on that flight a month ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

Something similar happened to me at Milan Linate, except luckily I did have FFP2 masks with me. I was flying to Frankfurt with Lufthansa and the gate agent insisted I put on a FFP2 mask, despite the fact that lots of other passengers had already gone through with regular surgical masks. I changed back to the surgical mask as soon as I was onboard. The LH crew were all wearing surgical masks.

Italy is an outlier at this stage in Europe in terms of strict mask rules. I'll be avoiding Italy and Austria also unti they relax their mask rules further.

Are there really no direct flights from Cork to either Dublin or Belfast???

I can't believe that!

I have only searched Skyscanner, which I thought covered nearly everything, and Ryanair and Aer Lingus apps - am I missing something here??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Train/driving is faster than the entire airport experience so Dublin-Cork was deemed uneconomical

It's actually Belfast I need to go to - but thought I could at least fly to Dublin and drive from there.

I really don't fancy driving the entire length of the country!!

Feck!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Train then?

Preferable to a cut-throat Manx2-type operation, anyway. Can't have been a very lucrative route even then.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

6 hours, with a red luas line bit in the middle - I think I'd prefer the plane via Heathrow or Liverpool!!

Nah, all sounds a bit of a logistical nightmare, and it's only for a social occasion.

I was just very surprised that there wasn't a direct flight to Belfast.

Hi All,

Thanks all for helping me with the information on assistance at Dublin. now i need more information please.

I will get a hotel bus to drop me at terminal 1 on monday morning for a finnair flight.

I will be back on wednesday late afternoon on a Ryanair flight.

I was thinking that my wife could drive to the terminal 1 drop off place & i cound just go there from arrivals & get into car quickly without delaying anyone & go home to donegal.

Anyone see a problem with this or have a better idea?

Thanks in advance

Tanka

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cars are meant to be, and sometimes are, moved on from the dropoff area if they're picking people up.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Tell her to park in McDonalds and you can ring her as you come out to drop off and she can nip up and get you.

• Advertisement

Thanks Guys

Advertisement