Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Yes, they they will run the cable from the pole to the gable but they won't enter the attic to install the equipment, the ONT/ODP or run the fibre cable.

Posted here previously, homeowners have assisted with running the fibre through the attic to a room below if the installer is amenable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

What's the average timeframe from when the DP is installed to installation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Difficult to say, but in my case it was between 2-3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭baz9375

It was four months for me. DPs installed 20.02.2021, available to order 04.05.2021 and installation 07.05.2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

So it only took 3 days from available to order to installation? , that was fast ,I was under the impression that it could take weeks from available to order to actual install , hope it's that quick for me .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

DPs installed mid-October 2021.

Ready to Pre-Order late December 2021.

Still in Pre-Order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

Yes, unfortunately. That's 130 days in pre-order.

Did I read somewhere that the pre-order period should only last a max of 90 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 flipper2009

DPs are on poles here for a little over a month. I met a KN guy today who was checking poles. He said I’d have fibre in 2 weeks. I told him that the existing duct may be blocked. He said not to worry that they would unblock it on the installation day if they could. If they can’t unblock, they’ll put in a pole (the house is 80m in from the road) and run a cable to the gable end. We had a look at the house on his iPad. There are lots of trees but nothing was a problem for this guy who works across Europe for KN circet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

Just had what I'm assuming is the DP you guys are talking installed on the pole outside my house at lunch time today. It has an nbi.sks sticker stuck on the front.

Is this the DP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 stephen.dunne

I got the order in for my parent place and they've given a provisional installation date of early august. Did Sky give you an installation date when you ordered as well ?

Haven't come across a max 90 days, only this

Pre-order period dates from up to 90 (ninety) days prior to the Ready for Service (RFS) date to 14 (fourteen) days prior to the RFS date only. From 14 days prior to the RFS date, the pre-order window will close, and pre-orders will no longer be available for selection.

The Pre-order period is anticipated to be between 60 and 90 days however in certain circumstances this may be reduced due to the main build advancing quicker than forecast

Yes, they gave me an installation date of 7th July the day I ordered. I'm hoping that'll be brought forward when we go "Ready to Order". Wishful thinking? Yes 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭baz9375

New wholesale products launched. Looks like the 2Gbps offerings will be coming from industry soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭EarWig

If the price is the same, would it not make sense to install 2 Gbit equipment by default to give the ISP more product options in the future.

NBI's own equipment is capable of up to 10Gb/s, the table of pricing above refers to the Wifi Routers that are provided by the individual ISPs. I honestly don't know why NBI would distinguish between them (there's no more effort to install 1gbps vs >1gbps). There's a few reasons why ISPs might not install faster equipment though

• Most consumers will be happy on 500 or 1000 mbps for many years
    • Many ISPs will have a stockpile of existing routers they need to offload
    • In some cases the preferred router supplier for an ISP might not yet provide a 1gbps+ offering
    • There are almost no mobile devices that use the 1gbps+ speeds of Wifi 6. (using 4x4 streams)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 jkp

Can anyone advise on the best provider for NBI right now? Internet only, don't need anything bundled. Hoping to get an order placed ASAP.

The speed is essentially the same with all of them. Punch in your Eircode in NBI.ie, and ring the providers who are available in your area. I had a two week lead time from call to installation, but others were told it would be months (as certain ISPs want to install specific gear in the local exchange). I went with Digiweb (even though I have Sky in the house for TV). Main reason was customer support (I've been with them for a few years before NBI arrived)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 flipper2009

I have contacted all 12/13 of my providers and I have an Excel sheet of price, installation fee if any, duration of contract (can be from 6 to 24 months), router provided. Customer Service is important to me so I have excluded those who don't reply, lie, or are impossible to get through to. I'm down to two providers Digiweb and Blacknight and they are not the cheapest nor the most expensive.

Everyone has their own criteria though so good luck with your choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 jkp

Thanks guys. I'm between Digiweb for the good rep and Vodafone for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

The list of additional premises added to the intervention area since the project began is as follows:

These premises have apparently not all been surveyed or added to DAs yet.

Also, NBI passed the 10000 connections milestone in late April.

Re: Mast Backhaul

I saw a mobile mast today connected via NBI fibre, Cullen Hill - Tipperary DA, west out of Cullen village (near to E34 HK23).

Should've taken a pic, larger orange fibre drop cable from the DP on the pole beside the entrance, then underground to the mast cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭scunermac

Anyone hear anything about the Portaloise DA? It’s moved back from ‘Network build in progress’ to ‘Survey underway’ just recently.

The go-live dates seem unchanged at Oct-Dec 2022. But can’t see that happening if the survey is still underway.

That's just up the road from me! Are you living in the Tipp DA general area @The Cush or just passing by?

Up the road in the Newport DA, 2025/26 unfortunately.

We took a spin up there because my brother is installing a mobile router and the only descent 4g signal he can get here if from that mast, approx 16.5 kms distant and yesterday was miserable for installing so we took a spin up there to see where it was located.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭47akak

Who does Vodafone NBI installs?

I have an attic that's not the easiest to get around (not too difficult either) but it's where I have my router and network points. Will there be any issue getting the cable run up there? Either through the previous POTS ducting or a separate entrance for satellite feed.

Also, the ducting from the pole on the opposite side of the road to my house is blocked or was never done properly with the house construction. The fibre will have to be run at height over the road to my house (2 storey). Will there be any issue with this?

Thanks.

It depends. Most installs I've seen here are done by KN Circet, but I've seen others mention Actavo doing installs on Twitter. It doesn't matter who you order from (Vodafone or anyone else), it's an NBI contractor that handles the installation.

You might get lucky and they'll go in the attic for you, but don't count on it. Is that where you're planning on having the NBI box?

If you tell them the ducting is there they'll try and rod it, but failing that, they'll have to make a judgement call on whether they can use the pole across the road or put in an additional pole on your side of the road for clearance reasons. I know my own neighbours had a two storey that was very close to the road and they still put in a brand new pole in their front garden for clearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭47akak

Yeah, all the network points are terminated in the attic from all around the house and there's power obviously so it would make sense.

My house is close to the road and the old copper wires were run across, so it will hopefully be no problem once they can do it in principle. Eir tried rodding the ducting before with no luck, but they may have given up very easily.

Thanks for the info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 pman35

Hi all quick question. I have ducting from my house to a pole across the road. Does there have to be a DP on that exact pole across the road where my ducting is for it to work. Thanks

Advertisement