Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

You lost me the minute you mentioned McStay. He’s an idiot. I have watched both the RTÉ and BBC coverage. RTÉ was abysmal. You had the panel commenting on the game standing outside in an empty stadium with no atmosphere. Spillane just kept referencing the League standings of the teams. He had very little of note to say re Cavan except that he felt Sligo should have beaten us in the League but for their discipline. When he made the point at half time that Faulkner catching McBrearty was on purpose and Paddy didn’t move his head, I was losing the will to live. He’s the only person I’ve heard say that was anything but a yellow as it was an accident, not malicious.

McConville, Canavan, Harte, Marty Clarke, and even Niblock, who I’m no fan of, were a breath of fresh air compared to the dung on our National broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

I find Niblock excellent. The BBC GAA Social podcast is brilliant and he is a brilliant interviewer. Sidebottom the only negative on BBC coverage. Tries to be funny too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭celt262

McStay is a poor pundit very hard to listen to the BBC is miles ahead of RTE with their lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Very disappointed with the result yesterday

The first half was the best football I'd seen us play in years including 2020

Small margins win big games and without sounding like sour grapes the ref had a huge hand in Donegals win, missed peno call, handy frees, Murphy push 1st goal yes maybe we still might of lost but we'd surely have been in it come the last few minutes

The goals were unlucky but avoidable

It feels like we should be taking so many positives out of the game but it just feels like a hollow moral victory with no back door

I was half excited about the tailteann Cup but now looking at the proposed format it would seem its another farce

Then we have Tynan raving on Facebook about us being favourites for it... Sure what could go wrong

Anyway ill take the positives and hope for the best in tailteann Cup but this was a big big opportunity for us that we just fell short

And Pat Spillane has won how many All-Irelands but does it make him a good analyst? We're discussing people's punditry here. McStay was referencing Smith scoring a point as a midfielder at one stage because he didn't seem to be able to fathom that even though he was wearing 8 he was playing in the FF line.

Anyway, the main crux of my point, that the media overstate McKiernan's importance to the team, has clearly gone over your head because you've argued your point by referencing two members of said media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

If Cavan are playing and I can't go, if there is a choice between RTE and BBC, then it's BBC anyday. Yes, the Beeb Ulster are biased towards the 6 counties, but the likes of Clarke and McConville in particular actually know what they are talking about and you get the feeling that they actually do some research. I think Niblock, even though naturally pro-Antrim, is a very good presenter.

The likes of McStay and Spillane are trading on past glories. They clearly can't even be bothered doing any sort of research so it is simple nonsense like "division 3 beats division 2" and so on. Pat Spillane has probably seen Cavan play once every couple of years when RTE cover their games.

That RTE always focus on Gearoid is (a) Gearoid is an extremely important player for Cavan and has been for a decade and (b) the RTE pundits are too lazy to find out that Cavan (shock! Horror!) actually have other players. It's not unique to Cavan and I guarantee that when any other county outside the top 8 play, they do the same thing.

Gearoid always gets the plaudits from the media whether he plays well or not it's lazy journalism and has been happening for years. I wouldn't say he had a bad game on Sunday but he has that much ability i think we expect to much from him at times.

I know how you feel. When we lost to Donegal in 2019, it hurt less. And let's be honest, it was a trimming. I left Clones thinking that we were a million miles off winning Ulster- in terms of conditioning, players the whole lot. That was reinforced against Tyrone. Prior to that I was thinking Mickey Graham would sprinkle the Mullinaghta magic on us, and let's be honest, any Cavan fan was feeling that after the wins over Monaghan and successive games in the sunshine in Clones against Armagh. But leaving Clonest that day, i was more or less resigned to our fate.

Whereas I'm still in a funk over Sunday (so i can't imagine how hurt the players and management are). We played really well and it wasn't that it still wasn't good enough. It came down to fine margins. The history books will record a 6 point win and the reports will say that Donegal had more experience or that bit more in quality, when in reality that slight margin of luck (and let's be honest, poor decision making to deal with that) that a miscued point effort, a nudge and the ball precisely lands on O'Donnell's foot and the game was lost. The second goal almost was immaterial.

Prior to the first goal, we were after clawing our way back to level the scores and I felt with 10 mins to go it was anyone's and that we would be in the mix at the very death and that goal (and the nature of it) just floored us. It wasn't as if it was a moment of brilliance, that Donegal opened us up and you could say "yep, when they needed to, they just upped the gears", but a wonky shot that we didn't deal with that broke so unkindly. That's without the penalty and Conor Lane deciding to give some soft frees. Hard to take.

And as for the Tailteann, I really hope the players do pick themselves us and decide to lay down a marker. No point saying we shouldn't be there, and with no disrespect to the other teams, but much like division four it's hard to say "brilliant a semi final against..." and get fired up like you would for a game like Sunday. The one thing we could learn from is Roscommon, who as a panel got accustomed to winning things (often at our expense) and that has helped them when it has come into the mix for Provincial titles. Let's try and win two trophies in a year, even if this one is far beneath what this group of players aspired to when they were putting in the hard yards for the last months and years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭piplip87

When's the draw for the first round of the Tailteann cup ? New York away is a possibility hopefully if it happens it's during my holiday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

Don't know how anyone could take McStay or Spillane seriously as Pundits, lazy is an understatement for both of them. They know nothing about the players they comment on, their strengths or weaknesses, their positions etc. They latch onto one or two things that could be 5 years out of date. Listening to Peter Canavan, Jim McGuinness, Mickey Harte, Oisin McConville etc is a different world where homework has been done and they actually have opinions based on what they have seen (doesn't mean you have to agree with them) RTE are a national embarrassment, If I have a choice I will watch SKY or BBC instead of them.

McStay was referring to the game in question. James Smith was occupying the full forward position for long periods on Sunday, rarely operating at midfield but McStay didn't seem to realise.

I'd ask the people of Roscommon about McStay being an ''excellent'' manager if I were you. They might disagree. I'm not sure if 3 years as an intercounty manager amounts to ''proven'' either. The All-Ireland club title he won was with a club who were already there or thereabouts (they were beaten finalist and semi finalists). Both they and Roscommon had been successful when he arrived so he didn't develop or foster success like, say, a Mickey Graham with Mulinaghta. Right place, right time perhaps.

He's the same Kevin McStay who commentated on us playing Donegal off the pitch in December 2020 yet wrote in his column ''whoever wins Donegal v Armagh has a tap-in of a semi-final against Cavan or Antrim''. I don't believe he's a good pundit and I don't respect his opinion - the opinion above was highlighted by Cavan supporters on Twitter ahead of the game. We're not here to discuss the merits of McStay regardless.

We'll go back to ''Anyway, the main crux of my point, that the media overstate McKiernan's importance to the team, has clearly gone over your head because you've argued your point by referencing two members of said media''.

I'll await your response as god forbid someone else might have the last word.

Post edited by Cavan_King on

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I think this is one of the best assessments of the game I've seen. Listened to the podcast yesterday and disappointed to hear it said that Cavan did all they could. There was very little analysis of the fact that we went a long period of play between the end of the first half and start of the second half without scoring. The Clarke goal was criminal for me. You cannot drop a ball in your own square. Gearoid McKiernan did it in a league game against Armagh in January 2020 and Turbitt belted that into the net too.

There were certainly players who could improve IMO and perform better. Madden and Cormac O'Reilly are still finding their feet to be fair to them and were only playing because others were unavailable but I would agree they should have been replaced sooner.

It's disappointing that lads who featured during the League like Conor Madden, Oisin Brady, TED and Stephen Smith weren't in the 26 yesterday. We can only assume they were injured but then Mickey was saying he had pretty much a full deck of cards?

If nothing else, the Tailteann Cup is the place now to start preparing these lads and some of the U20s as we need to start priming the next generation now.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

None of us know what is going on in training and lets be honest, for example, Conor Madden has been poor ever since 2020. You have to earn your place on the match day panel and only Mickey and his selectors know what is going on in training in terms of who is ripping it up and who isnt. Cian Madden was an exciting minor, best player on that team in my opinion. But he was small and he still needs time to bulk up physically. I think he will be a excellent player for us and while he may not have influenced the game in an attacking sense on Sunday I thought he worked extremely hard. Maybe there were injuries too, we will just have to trust Mickey picked the best of what he had in terms of injuries and who was on form.

I see this tailteann cup is now a North/South thing which I never heard off before so we will be playing the same old teams again - Fermanagh no doubt. That also means we will be getting tougher games I would imagine.

We are not in the preliminary round on 22/05 as we reached a provincial semi final. Then there is a first round on 28/05 and a QF on 04/06. The First Round & QF are split by North & South and then the Semi Finals are open. New York only come in at QF stage.

Semi Final is 19/06 and final on 09/07.

I don't think club championships start until August so it'll all be well over and players back to clubs for a few weeks even if we went all the way.

I agree that subs should have been made earlier. That pace of championship football is hard to keep up with, especially for younger players. Mickey Hannon said that years ago.

In terms of Madden or Cormac Reilly doing nothing, that's not a fair reflection. Cormac set up a clear penalty and also kicked two wides. Now, that does show what anyone watching him this year would say- an honest player, very strong, can ride a tackle but needs to start converting more. Also he does a huge amount of tracking back which is part and parcel of the game now. Madden also kicked a wide (narrowly), did a huge amount of tracking and as always, carries the ball forward with his head up and does kick ball in. I also agree that he needs time, but we have to blood these young lads at some stage and find out not only if they have the skills but also the temperament. I think with another year or two of conditioning, Cian Madden will be a brilliant county footballer (assuming he sticks with it and keeps developing).

Conor Moynagh isn't a quick player- that isn't due to fitness. He was one of our best players yesterday.

Mickey Graham was very honest in 2021 that we needed to take time to invest in younger forwards. A few people online were castigating him for doing so but it clearly was THE area that we needed to improve on. He's done that and the patience his team has reaped dividends in Patrick Lynch.

And in terms of forwards used in the league, it was mostly Madden, Lynch and Reilly. TED had a few minutes against Tipp at home (and did well, but that was all he got- in fairness he was mostly with Denn). Oisin Brady started against Leitrim and Carlow but he definitely picked up a knock. Conor Smith injured for most of it. Conor Madden started against Leitrim but i think that was it. He got a few minutes in the final against Tipp and a handful of minutes elsewhere- so either he's struggling with fitness or Mickey isn't seeing what he needs to see in training.

Stephen Smith started two games i think (Waterford and the league final). He was as good as he's ever been in the league final but he's never nailed down a spot and he's been in there since 2019.

I agree, much like the u20s it had to have an impact on the lads to be going in thinking "we've played this well but it's a draw". Easier team talk for Donegal to say "look, they've dominated but if we lift our game, it's ours".

I agree that our bench didn't have an impact, but I wonder if we had have brought Martin Reilly or Kiernan on earlier that it might have made a difference. I disagree that the two young lads you mentioned were passengers- they did a serious amount of tracking runners, but did miss chances. Both looked absolutely gassed before they were hooked. Look, I trust Mickey Graham's judgement so it's easier to manage from the Hill. Maybe the game plan was that both only had 10 minutes in them. and to wait to throw them on then. I would have preferred to see Caoimhin come on when the game was in the mix to give Donegal something to think about.

In terms of Faulkner being a "pale shadow"- that's incredibly harsh. He had a poor 2021, but then again who on that Cavan panel didn't (and I'm including club matches- barring McKiernan and Conor Brady 2021 was a year to forget for almost all the lads) but he definitely picked his form up over the league and barring letting Murphy sell him a dummy, I didn't see him get much wrong.

I'd have to agree with your comments that criticizing Faulkner was harsh. I thought he had his best game for Cavan in some time. Of the more senior players, I think the majority did well and I only had some disappointment in Gearoid who, bar a five to ten minute purple patch, didn't influence the game enough, and Killian Clarke, who, in my opinion, had an absolute nightmare. Clarke was directly responsible for at least 1-2 between the goal at the end and the frees he gave away in the first half.

You would have to look at our defence and wonder if we need a bit more pace in it. Donegal had fast players cutting in from the side and I felt at times they got away from our backline too easily. That said, we played an open game so our backs didn't have the advantage generally of extra players to close off the space when Donegal countered.

That's a really good point- Mickey clearly trusted most of the lads in 1 on 1s, and by and large they didn't let us down. I hate criticising players when they are clearly putting some effort in and playing for the pride of the shirt, but that wasn't one of Killian's finest and the mistake for the goal was criminal. Having said that on another day, it drops somewhere else, and the fact that it landed on McBrearty's head (who wasn't even looking at the ball) and then landed in front of him just compounded what an awfully messy goal it was.

I thought Gearoid was quiet in the first half- no doubt about it, but a lot of the game was kicked beyond him into Lynch and Smith. But in the second half when Donegal were edging away from us he stepped up. Not necessarily the most amazing display, but absolutely got into the trenches- and THAT fetch was absolutely lifted the crowd and the team (I can't remember who kicked wide from that play) when no one seemed able to get a hand on primary possession in the middle and then he tacked on three scores. The pressure was on, you want your leaders to come up with big plays and he did. That's why I was so frustrated with the first goal as I thought he might drag us over the line. Ah well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Blue47

Murphy makes a good point that if Cavan only raise themselves for Championship then they will be staring down the Tailteann Cup barrel for years to come. Damian Donohue also makes a good point that Tyrone under Harte went out to win every McKenna Cup. It's a pity we are not in the Qualifiers but that's our own fault, if we win the Tailteann then we will be next year no matter what happens in Div 3. It would be great to see some of the younger players get a run Oisin Brady, Cian Reilly, Ryan O'Neill and to get the Holla back up to speed. The more games and high level training this panel gets the more benefit it will be going forward.

Oisin Brady seems to have dropped off the face of the planet. I thought he was featuring for Killygarry in the League so perhaps he was one of the younger players involved in the disciplinary breach earlier in the campaign.

You'd have to expect us to be able to get out of Division 3 next year. I know we struggled through 4 this year but the only explanation I can see is that the lads were training heavily throughout it. In games like the Wexford one it was nearly like Mickey pulled them in at half time and said, there's no point hammering these or we'll have a few newspaper articles written about us so lighten off lads.

As was raised on this forum earlier in this season, after the top 3/4 in Division 2, there is very little difference in quality and anyone can beat anyone. I would firmly believe we are good enough to be in at least that top 3/4 when we are concentrating on a competition and on our game.

My understanding is that 4 of the U20s gone in are Niall Carolan, Daragh Lovett (as per this board), Cian Reilly and Fionntain O'Reilly. Anyone know the fifth?

Post edited by Lemlin on

Oisin Brady and Conor Smith played at the weekend for Killygarry, Conor scored 1-4 I think, be great to see him get a run in Tailteann playing off two good ball winners in Lynch and Smith

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

Is Lovett old enough? Or is he just in training?

It would be great if Conor Smith could stay fit for the remainder of the year such an unfortunate player with injuries.

Conor Smith needs to get a run of games in. Any time he gets fit for the county, he's injured by the next game. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see him playing more than 90% of the other forwards in the county but he hasn't been able to string a couple of intercounty games together yet.

I’m hearing the county lads can play with their clubs tomorrow night but from Monday are not available again.

They did have a training session this week.

Could make for some cracking games on Friday!

many word on McVeety Cavan_King? He’s not played for your lot for weeks- was it only a flying visit?

• Advertisement

So did he just resign with Crosserlough to play one game or is he coming back again for the Championship?

Advertisement