Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Facilities are very good alright.

Cox did well today, I personally think he's been poor enough over the league, I thought Mckeon in particular ought to have gotten the start as he's looked better in the games (granted I don't have any idea if he's carrying a knock or what's happening at training) but Cox got a good start today and it helped him a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Derry got dirty towards the end of today’s game.....Galway won’t be doin them any favors me thinks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭megadodge

Speaking of the grounds, I always thought the stand in Tullamore is exactly the type of stand that should have been put in the Hyde. Close to the pitch, nice elevation, comfortable seats, full length of the pitch and clean.

I also thought it was lovely to see all the kids out on the pitch at half-time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Cox scored 0-22 I believe in 5 league games this year that type of scoring isn't poor anyway.

I thi k his performances weren't great, scoring 4 points including frees, per game against the. likes of Cork, Down etc isn't top level scoring to be honest. Opinions are like arse holes, everyone has one, mine is that Cox hasn't been great in the first few games, but he was in good form yesterday, so Anthony's decision is vindicated. He sees more of the players than we do, so it's up to him.

It's a good place to be in though, the 2 Smith lads are moving well, Ciaran M had his best game yesterday along with Cox, Heneghan and Mckeon having good cameos, a solid looking midfield, and the likes of McCormack and Hughes showing up well in defence. We seem to be back to where we were 2 years ago, with new legs coming into the squad too, big game next week to finish off a good league campaign hopefully.

• Advertisement

Didn't see any of this game, a proper trimming for Derry, hopefully it'll put doubts in their head for next week.

I find it strange that you say 'Derry got dirty' - im not doubting it, but from the reports I read Paul Conroy was the first player to see red in that game yesterday.

I find it strange that many commentators still term Galway as 'pure football', an 'open team' who 'play the game the right way'. That might have been thw case once upon a time, but they have been every bit as cynical and full of the dark arts as anyone over the last 30 years, and I'd include St Pauric of Joyce in that, especially in the second half of his playing career.

I expect Galway will go all out to beat us next week - thay still have 4 weeks then to the Mayo game, and I think wi have a league final in Croke Park to experiment in or play any fringe players. They should want to keep us down, they have a good record against us in the last few years and I can't see them wanting to take the knee off of our neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

If you didnt see the game its best not to comment about it. A Derry player eye gouged a Galway player.

Galway scored 4-11 against Derry. You don't get that playing negative football

Galway will put out a B team as the game offers nothing to them. They should still win even with a weakened team

Where did you see about the eye gouge - I saw no mention of that in the match reports anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GalwayLurker

That’s why McKinless was red carded, it was highlighted by Padraic Joyce after the game and also on League Sunday last night, despicable action.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭tvpc

Are you rossies living under a stone or something? the Galway player cant see out of his eye.

• Advertisement

What i said was I didn't see anything about in any of the reports of the game about an eye gouge. I'd have thought it was worth a mention somewhere, guess I should just take an anonymous post on an online forum at face value without any proof or verification, more fool me I guess!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭spurshero

ya done need to believe an annoymous post 2 mins of league Sunday will do it for ya on the player … that’s a lot less then it took ya to write your few anti galway posts above I’m sure . By the way meself and most galway people would have a soft spot for the rossies and we would certainly rather see them in division 1 then derry .

Anti Galway.... OK 🙄.

I'm sure there is a Galway supporters discussion thread on here somewhere for you, have a nice day.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭tvpc

Yes more fool you. You rossies are a strange bunch

..... and the Derry player that was hit in the Conroy incident has a broken jaw, but nothing to see there, no siree.

If you're going to call out foul play, I've no problem with that, but have some balance and call out all foul play.

I'm not the only one around here looking out of one eye apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

If ye can’t beat the Galway B team on Sunday then it’s time to .......have a good hard look at yer selves me thinks..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Can imagine Padraic Joyce will be looking to keep Galways winning run going and the current momentum from 6 wins in a row is something to build onto. Whatever team Galway line out with on Sunday will be looking to impress and put their hand up for championship selection.

Galways championship opponents Mayo have the opportunity of reaching the Div 1 final and they haven't played close to their strongest team in their 6 games thus far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭degzs

Good win and Div 1 next year

Good campaign, Connacht will be interesting this year

No. 1 priority achieved. Promotion to Division 1.

Obviously Galway weren't at full strength, but Roscommon did what they had to do and that's all that matters.

Considering next weekend will be Galway's last game before Mayo, they will surely be going all-out to win. In the same sense that today's game meant far more to Roscommon, next week's should mean far more to Galway as they won't want to end up facing Mayo on the back of two losses. Plus there's also the probability that if they beat Mayo they most likely will be meeting Roscommon in the Connacht final.

Very good campaign. Today was a good performance, very professional, had an open goal earlier but a cynical Rugby tackle denied Mckeon his goal. We're never in trouble in the second half, Galway added some consolation scores in Garbage time but I wouldn't worry about that TBH. Next week I wouldn't be worried about, a bit of a free hit, a run out in Croke Park but today was the main prize, a fourth promotion in four attempts.

This campaign, unbeaten, top of the table, but better than that an expanded squad, with the likes of McCormack, Hughes, Nolan, Mckeon, Henneghan, all featuring well and bedding in. Also, a good campaign from Harney who has had an injury free run for the first time in a long time. Squad looks stronger now with them lads going well, also the likes of Hussey and Ronan Daly coming back to fitness will leave the lads with options now.

Goalkeeping still an issue, really surprised other options weren't looked at or tried out.... AC and his team are the ones who see the guys in training obviously, but Lavin is a liability in this day and age, simply not good enough IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

judging by the silence here everyone is in dalys in kiltoom tonight . well done 😁

Not much to add after my post during the week:another good performance, professional, deserved winners, if a little closer this time. The Galway we were hearing about as all ireland contenders a fortnight ago, that had a half team when beaten last week, were beaten again despite having Conroy, Walsh and Comer all available. We seemed content to let Galway shoot from distance again and it was a dangerous plan, but we were disciplined, didn't give up either scorable frees or any goal chance (apart from an early one that Coneeley missed). We also created several goal chances, and generous refereeing prevented at least one penalty and several close frees/Black card challenges - Galway were really poor in the tackle, all arms and holding and it went largely unpunished.

Still plenty to work on, goalie still an issue for instance, but it's been a very good league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Yeah encouraging league campaign overall. After a few years where it looked like the panel was pretty much a closed shop it's good to see some new faces grabbing their opportunities like McCormack and Hughes.

Have bad memories of our last trip to Sligo for a championship game. Think I'm right in saying that came on the back of winning Div 2 as well. Thanks to the format of the provincial championships win that and we are guaranteed into last 12 and 2 shots at making the quarter finals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭rn

Very good league campaign. Clare the most concerning performance. But conditions were atrocious. Like overall we knew we'd have to get results from Derry and Galway games to be promoted - only 2 of those were likely to go up. Now fixtures did help us on the first Galway result, but you still have to win it. And that was a good performance over local rivals.

Worrying is that it was a very open game, one for the football purists and that doesn't win championships. So ALOT of work still to be done.

I think we'd something like 5 or 6 weeks between croker and the trip to sligo that time. God remember being at that game and we completely misfired that day, despite having enough possession. It was after John Evans mis judged all Ireland comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,819 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

While things have mostly been understandably quiet for the Footballers since winning their National League Division, the Hurlers have had a brilliant 2022 so far

• Won a Connacht pre-season competition with some good teams in it
    • 2nd place in Division 3A in the League which gave them a semi-final matchup (subsequently losing that) - which by right was a bit silly as 1st vs 2nd in the final would've been reasonable
    • Pretty much guaranteed final for Nickey Rackard (vs either Tyrone or Donegal in Croke Park) with a match to spare

Fair play.

I personally have no heed on hurling, but you'd have to have admiration for anyone in Roscommon who keeps hurling, there is no support resource or publicity wise. They do deserve lots of credit.

Disappointing day. The better team won.

For me the game was lost with the ease Galway were allowed run down the middle coming from deep. The tracking was just very, very poor. I thought this was an issue that seemed to be sorted, but apparantley not. Constant overlaps mean scores and Galway were just getting their scores too easily.

What happened Heneghan? Was he injured again? Thought he was playing fine and certainly Kilroy was not going to change anything.

Doyle and Hughes both did very well when introduced. Ultan drove hard for the whole match and kept Conroy quiet.

Donie had a strange game. He came onto a lot of ball and seemed to be turning onto his left foot, but he just didn't seem keen to pull the trigger. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh there, but I thought he could have shot a few times and he didn't event try.

At least they played to the bitter end, which is an important facet in a team. Hopefully it smacks of a positive attitude, but Roscommon tend to lose any confidence once beaten in a championship.

Poor performance.

Gotta say, we were very passive both in defence and attack. We didn't concede a scoreable free until the 68th minute, which to me is indicative of our soft tackling and lack of aggression. We gave huge freedom to Galway players in possession, especially their #9 whose name escapes me, Shane Walsh and Finnerty, who again er made look like an All Star...... Mark my words he'll not play as well for the rest of the year. Walsh is especially annoying, a brilliant player, but he was unmarked throughout, Heneghan was the closest thing to a marker for most of the first half.

Attack was poor, took the safe option too often, didn't pop the passes and engage the defenders, ended up playing outside the Galway screen and missed several scoreable chances when the game was there before half time.

A couple of strange selections, Heneghan off at half time, and McCormack not featuring at all. Two of our better league performers, Heneghan featured well in the first half as well,Murray left on Finnerty for all bar the last 5 or so minutes when the damage was done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Fairly maddening watching the first half and the slow pace of our transition out of defence and into midfield, allowing Galway loads of time to filter back and get set. The one time we did trust our kick passing in first half Cox got a score.

Wasn't sure what we were doing on the Galway kickouts, we had the men there to go man to man and press but they never went ultra tight and kept getting caught.

Very flat first half, speed never really seemed to be there in a lot of lads legs. Second goal was a killer and we were comfortably dealt with second half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Roscommon did alright on their kick outs, midfield and did more than alright on what they scored as 2-16 is normally enough to win most Connacht finals.

The main issue was defensively and leaving acres of room to allow Galway run into and then pop off scores under zero pressure. Hard to believe that a manager of Cunninghams experience into his 4th year with Roscommon would set his side up in a manner that was so easy to score against and beat.

Advertisement