Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Supreme Court to overturn Roe vs Wade

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,898 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The usual tactic of asking me to make your point for you. No thanks. I think we've spent enough time on your whataboutery.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 23,922 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

That “wise person” wasn’t Captain Hindsight by any chance?

If people were single issue voters… actually, no, I’d still see where you’re coming from, but I wouldn’t agree there is likely to be the kind of backlash you’re wishing for. It’s similar to the way in which there wasn’t much of a backlash effect when Republicans opposed Biden’s policies which were popular with the American electorate -

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-republicans-dont-fear-an-electoral-backlash-for-opposing-really-popular-parts-of-bidens-agenda/amp/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,583 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Agreed, the 12 week limit along with the 3 day 'cooling off' (what misogynistic wanker thought that up?) and the strange way 12 weeks are counted are all a mess. The limit should be 24 weeks.

But, this is the US thread not the Abortion thread, which is a better place to talk about the laws in Ireland.

One point you make, though:

The wording of the amendment was criticised at the time because it was argued that it would permit abortion in Ireland - the opposite of it’s intended effect.

Umm... surely that was a small point of criticism in 1983? The move to repeal it began then, didn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,467 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

No you asked for sources. Presumably about the X Case.

This is widely public knowledge that happened fairly recently.

I do not think it requires citation and sources just because you've never heard of it or can't be bothered googling it.

As they say, "time will tell." I think the Democratic party and women in general are going to push hard about this issue through the midterms and beyond. Sure seems like there are signs of just that already. It's early, and the decision isn't official yet, it might change. Perhaps the references to common law from 1673 will be dropped, those are laughable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,898 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

As I thought, a bad faith attempt to derail the thread and nothing more.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

You're the one asking for sources for some reason breaking up the flow.

When you keep sniping at me, it would be rather foolish of me to take what you say in good faith. Particularly when you insist on expecting everyone else to put in the effort of making a reasonable argument.

Don't be ridiculous, I would never ask for sources. It ruins the discussion and the banter.

The limit should be 24 weeks.

Given typical human gestation is 40 weeks, I don’t see what purpose is served by a 24 week limit. It’s not as though a woman is going to change her mind between the 24th week and the time she is forced to give birth, never mind hoping she would change her mind in two days.

Btw I don’t think you’re conscious of it, but you keep doing that thing where you make your rebuttal to my point, and then tell me this isn’t the thread for it, or you make your point in rebuttal to mine, and then tell me this isn’t the thread for it. It’s irritating as a thrush infection tbh, but I don’t think you’re doing it intentionally, it’s just something I noticed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,412 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

They can let those trigger laws take effect, and say little to nothing about it.

They don't have to campaign on those laws.

They don't even have to sign them.

They can just say "well our predecessors made these" etc. or any other excuse, and come up with reasons why they cannot get the votes to repeal.

They can also complain about leaks by the court.

What they can't do, without backlash, is blare Celebration by Kool & The Gang, launch confetti, fireworks and balloons now that they've accomplished a 50 year objective of forcing women back into back alleys. They can't celebrate this victory in the open, no, it would be completely tonedeaf.

This isn't a thread about Irelands abortion laws though and I frankly have little idea what you're talking about; it bears little relation to Roe v Wade.

It bears none whatsoever. It's about shutting down criticism of US conservatives. Nothing more.

Re:24 weeks. There are congenital conditions that aren't detectable with 100% reliability in the first trimester, like Downs. Usually there are tests to confirm in the 2d trimester.

One of the side-effects of repealing Roe in the US is there'll be a flood of Downs kids in US society where they've largely been absent for more than a generation. That may havea big impact on medical resources and care resources.

Ahh wait now, if you’re going to be a stickler for what the thread is or isn’t about, then surely the thread isn’t about criticism of US conservatives, it’s about this -

US Supreme Court to overturn Roe vs Wade

With 6 - 3 US Conservative majority on it yes. You kinda walked into that.

Susan Collins called the police to report some terrifying sidewalk chalk...

"Susie, Please... Mainers Want [Womens Health Protection Act] -> [...]"

I mean maybe that last bit in yellow is the real terrorism but I'm not seeing the crime here.

And that’s a cracker of a compelling argument if I viewed people with Down’s Syndrome as having any impact greater than anyone else, on medical and care resources, as if that justified abortion.

I wouldn’t think Dawkins was particularly wise either when replying to a tweet from a woman who asked him a question about the ethics of it, he suggested she should abort and try again -

Best not suggesting that then as a reason anyone should consider an abortion IMO.

shrug Conservatives in the US are all about making responsible decisions. Choosing to have a child is the ultimate in decisions and it shouldn't be taken away from women. Especially by the Federal government.

My point was more that the thread should no more be limited to criticism of US conservatives than it should be limited to discussion solely of the overturning of Roe v Wade by the Supreme Court. If the thread could be solely limited to criticism of US conservatives, that would undoubtedly suit a particularly small subset of posters who want to limit the parameters of the discussion to only that which they wish to discuss.

• Advertisement

It wasn't criticism of their US Counterparts though, it was a sidebar about Case X in the Irish legal system.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

On the backlash question - There's a strong school of thought that for the most part , the GOP are perfectly fine with Roe vs. Wade and that like a lot of what they do their "support" for it was merely pandering to a specific voter base (the white evangelicals) and that they were happy enough to put in place these various "trigger laws" etc. because they were reasonably confident that they'd never actually become active as Roe would never get over-turned.

The GOP have zero interest in legislating for anything for anyone unless it's more money for them and their cronies , but they'll happily burn the place down stoking hatred and division to ensure that the "base" comes out to vote.

Obviously there are some within the party that are full on hard core Evangelicals that are absolutely on-board , but most recognise that implementing major restrictions on Abortion is deeply unpopular across the vast majority of demographic groups outside the extreme right wing religious groups.

Arguably, the best result here for the GOP is for the Alito opinion to not get the necessary votes now and for Roe to remain in place.

They'd get to ramp up the righteous indignation and point horrified fingers at the "left" blaming them for everything , all the while happy that they won't actually have to stand in front of voters in November explaining why they or their Mother/Wife/Sister/Daughter is going to be forced to have a baby following a rape or be forced to carry a baby to term that has zero chance of survival whilst putting their lives at risk.

^^^

The GOP will have no purpose once Roe is repealed, and lose fundraising. Plus all the backlash (protests, etc) will cause them even more grief.

Worst thing that can happen to the GOP is if Roe is repealed. I suppose there's a non-zero chance that Alito's daft decision fails, but I don't think it will. It'll pass, probably not exactly in the form its been written, but it'll pass.

Wow

Yougov ran this poll just before Amy Comey Barrett was appointed to the bench.

20 months later, confidence in the SCOTUS had plummeted by a staggering 40 points.

... this is the sort of shift that could lead to expanding the court.

The last time Yahoo News/YouGov asked about confidence in the court was in September 2020, a few days after liberal Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg died and a few days before Trump nominated conservative jurist Amy Coney Barrett to replace her.

Back then, 70% of registered voters said they had either “some” (50%) or “a lot” (20%) of confidence in the court, and 30% said they had either “a little” (23%) or “none” (7%).

But the new survey of 1,577 U.S. adults, which was conducted immediately after the leak, found that registered voters have swung from mostly having confidence in the Supreme Court — by a colossal 40-point margin — to being evenly split on the question.

Today, just half of voters still express some (37%) or a lot (14%) of confidence in the court, while the other half now expresses either a little (24%) or none (26%).

And among all Americans — as opposed to just registered voters — most (53%) now say they have either no confidence in the Supreme Court (28%) or only a little (25%).

Views on key aspects of American life rarely shift that suddenly. The question is why.

It’s arguing in favour of abortion that takes that choice away from women by coercive effect. Even your own argument about the impact of people with disabilities on medical and care resources is admittedly compelling for some, not even approaching a rational or logical argument for other people who don’t think of people in those terms.

It’s a right that shouldn’t just not be taken away by the Federal Government, it’s a duty that the Federal Government has as an obligation, which they have been allowed to absolve themselves of, for as long as Roe v Wade has stood. I’ll be interested to see what happens if Roe v Wade IS overturned.

I agree with what I think you're saying. Roe v. Wade has allowed the government to abdicate it's responsibility here. It rightly should be ensconced in the Constitution once and for all. Along with Healthcare.

It’s arguing in favour of abortion that takes that choice away from women by coercive effect.

In favor of choice.

People aren't going around and harassing happy pregnant friends to abort, nor are they burning bridges with them as filthy breeders etc.

It’s only arguing in favour of choice if people aren’t forced to choose between between their family and not being able to have more children due to socioeconomic circumstances.

It’s for this reason that it’s easy to convince people who aren’t in that position, that the people who are, have no choice and should be provided with the opportunity to avail of abortion, as opposed to arguing that those people should be provided with the means to enable them to be in a position to support and provide for any or as many children as they choose to have.

If people are meant to have choice, it should mean the choices they make for themselves and their families, as opposed to being coerced into an outcome being portrayed as a choice. It would be akin to me establishing a bookies beside a gamblers anonymous group in a socioeconomically deprived neighbourhood and suggesting to anyone who had an objection that “I’m just giving gamblers a choice”.

The disingenuous reasoning should be obvious.

• Advertisement

I'm very much lost to the point you are trying to make. I don't know of anyone suggesting that if you are too poor you need to abort your pregnancy, but that seems to be your insinuation here, that the Pro-Choice movement wants to encourage someone who wants a pregnancy, to abort, because of socioeconomic factors:

It’s for this reason that it’s easy to convince people who aren’t in that position, that the people who are, have no choice and should be provided with the opportunity to avail of abortion, as opposed to arguing that those people should be provided with the means to enable them to be in a position to support and provide for any or as many children as they choose to have.

It's like you dismiss the possibility that perhaps millions of women are already providing and supporting for the amount of children they already chose to have, which is Zero.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement