Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Depends who you ask I guess, but I think Jackson was easily twice the flyhalf Madigan was, and Madigan was utterly incapable of the kind of performances Jackson put in in SA. Never understood why Schmidt persisted in Madigan over him.

Jackson was also better than anything we have seen from Carberry so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭ersatz

Comparing Jackson favorably to Carbery is to damn him with faint praise. Carbery is still about promise in green, though like Jackson he has put in some solidly unspectacular performances.

Interesting. That is exactly how I remember that tour. I recall thinking it at the time. We had a decent backup to Sexton finally.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The takeaway from that tour was that Jackson could hold his own at international level and that we might not be totally buggered if Sexton was unavailable. Which is about where Carbery should be soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

madigan twice the player jackson was but jackson twice the 10 madigan was - i.e madigan would have been better off sticking at 12/15 imo

completely disagree, between that tour and when he had to stop playing with ulster/ireland he was playing very well indeed and was pushing to keep his jersey in the 2017 6N when JS came back from injury against france.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

He never established himself as clearly superior to Madigan.

He one billion percent did. Jackson was a key player for Ulster, an established H Cup 10, solid international player and a perfectly adequate backup to Sexton. He could also control a game.

Madigan has failed to nail down the 10 shirt at every club he's played for. 10s he's failed to surpass include Jimmy Gopperth, Callum Sheedy and Billy Burns. So any argument that Madigan was anything more than an ok Pro12/URC out half falls flat on it's face.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

There was never any prospect of Jackson keeping Sexton out of the side. Absolutely zero.

• Administrators Posts: 53,833 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Jackson was always better than Madigan was and he was better than Carbery is now. Who knows if he'd have overtaken Sexton by this stage had he stayed in the Irish system.

But he's a pointless discussion. He's not coming back.

how did the move back to NZ go Joe? im presuming this must be joe schmidts account seeing as youre so positive about that?

nah there was just a long enough debate about it after the italy game, on against the head after the italy game, talking about it before the france game.........im pretty sure eddie o sullivan (i could be incorrect here) was calling for jackson to start against france and keep sexton on the bench

It's nothing to do with Schmidt, there isn't a coach in the world who'd have been picking Jackson over Sexton in February 2017.

My beef here is that people aren't comparing Carbery to Jackson, they're comparing Carbery to a romanticised version of Jackson, or to what Jackson would have become if only... saying he was rivalling Sexton for first choice just isn't true and it's not a fair yardstick for Carbery.

On that tour in 2016, Jackson was very good in the first test, OK in the second and rubbish in the third. That's the reality but somehow in the intervening period his performances have improved massively. He showed he'd be a decent backup and no more, exactly what Carbery is today.

• Advertisement

except sexton had been out for a number of months with concussion problems so there was a very good chance he was going to be eased back into the ireland team........

like i said, a number of pundits were thinking along those lines. EOS wasnt a current coach but he was previously so theres that

tbh i wouldve picked jackson ahead of sexton at that time. he had been playing very well and probably deserved to keep the jersey. very good on the SA tour (not rubbish in any of the tests fyi), very good against aus in the autumn, irelands best player v scotland in the 6N.

'That's the reality but somehow in the intervening period his performances have improved massively'- no thats absolute bollox not 'the reality' as you put it

its interesting that you say others are romanticising jackson when you seem to be going in the complete opposite direction. carbery has been 'romanticised' by many (not just yourself) as the second coming of christ and the solution to all of irelands problems at 10 despite not really deserving any of it, definitely not before this season at least. jackson in 2017 was most definitely deserving of being nailed on as backup 10 and was pushing sexton to start.

carbery is very similar to madigan, twice the player jackson is but half the 10.

this is obviously judging them strictly on their rugby ability and not on them as people

IM not that interested in this debate tbh, but how is Jackson more than a Pro 12/URC standard 10 given his record since those halcyon days of 2017 when Ulster came last in their HC group on ten points? Perpinan finished bottom in his year there. He's won nothing and played in a series of second rate teams in the meantime. Nothing wrong with that but the idea that Jackson is better that the second string in Ireland behind Sexton is hallucinatory, whatever about Madigan. He might have become that if he hadn't derailed his career but lots of players with potential don't end up realizing it.

because none of the bigger teams will touch him. if he had to leave ireland for a different/better reason he'd be playing for one of the top teams

even having said that hes usually pretty great for london irish most weeks

He's pretty good for LI but as we've seen in the HC, the prem is fairly equivalent to the URC, if its even that level at the moment. I'd put the top 4 teams in the URC up against the top 4 in the prem anytime. And teams that are in the bottom half of the the prem aren't great. Again, Jackson was promising but I don't think he's proven to be above any of the group behind Sexton. I'm not doing the player down, he's a fine rugby player but on here there are some roses tinted glasses that seem to be saying he was there or thereabouts with Sexton before he left Ireland and that's just not true. He was Carbery/RB level without the injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Porter loughman Wycherley EOS

kelleher Sheehan herring

furlong Bealham TOT Moore

Bernie Ryan Henderson McCarthy Baird Thornbury

Doris coombes Conan vdf pom kendellan prendergast

JGP Murray Casey Doak

Sexton Carbery Healy

henshaw Ringrose Bundee Hume frawley

Hansen Lowe balacoune Keenan Lowry Conway/Job

42 man squad:

build depth at loosehead, let Healy have the summer off and bring him back in for November.

Thornbury probably biggest question mark in the pack but if fit and on form he’s right up there with the top three locks in the squad. Give him the chance to impress befor the rwc. Mix of proven test quality locks and promising Stars in the back row. Would love to see prendergast Kendallan coombes in a midweek match.

Doak and Healy given a chance to impress. Think Carty is done with international call ups now. Frawley and lowry Could cover ten for mid week games. As you were in the centres and back three. Would edge JOB ahead of Conway personally but can see the worth in Conway come rwc time

nope sorry he was (is?) miles above carbery and RB (who doesnt get enough credit tbh). if he starts the QF in 2015 ireland win imo. hes the only 10 other than sexton since ROG that had enough tactical nous and game management ability to be a contender for a starting spot. again, bit unfair on RB here since hes been unlucky with his starts for ireland in fairness to him. if sexton hadnt come back in the 2017 6N and PJ stayed in the starting team it would have been pretty close between them from then on. obviously what happened happened and its all a bit moot, but its also untrue to deny that PJ was coming into great form before everything else happened and he was could have been pushing to be a regular starter for ireland

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

carbery has been 'romanticised' by many (not just yourself) as the second coming of christ and the solution to all of irelands problems at 10.

That's not my impression at all, tbh. Even those in the pro-Carbery camp seem to acknowledge he's not as good as Sexton currently, but is the best back-up we have.

That's without mentioning those that think Ross Byrne, Carty, Harry Byrne, Healy (take your pick) should be ahead of him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

No one would have picked Jackson over Sexton as Sexton is, at this point, probably Ireland's greatest ever player. I suspect Jackson would have taken over by now had he still been around but its a hypothetical.

However, Jackson did show in Ireland colours a lot more than I think Carbery has to this date. And it is not about what Jackson "might have become". He was an exceptional player. It is why I get annoyed by comments about us failing to develop a 10 - we did, but **** happened.

dunno about JS being ireland's best ever player but id agree with the rest

i think thats a recent thing though. up until this season most were clamouring for him to be the default back up to JS without him doing much to actually earn it - he made am 'amazing' break against scotland a few years ago apparently so he automatically should be in the 22 jersey for ireland. off the ball have even been talking repeatedly recently about how much better munster have been recently because 'carbery has had a run of games at 10', despite the fact that A - hes been grand but nothing amazing in reality and B - Jack Crowley and Ben Healy have played pretty well when given the chance.

'but is the best back-up we have.' - again, i dont think hes done enough to warrant that thinking. he was okay against france and he closed the game out well against NZ, but other than that hes been average at best for ireland. all of the other 10s you mentioned, along with jack crowley, are better options as back up 10s but the thinking seems to be that if JC is fit he automatically should be behind sexton, without deserving it. HB is in a similar position imo, hes 3rd choice (at most) for leinster and yet somehow hes being talked about as an option/has been in squads

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

i dont see how all the other 10s mentioned are better options as back up 10s. why are they?

Carbery has had injury issues no doubt but he has earned his place in the set up. He isnt automatically in at 22 anyway.

Crowley has done well for a guy playing his first season of proxx games. Only making his first start last October and first european start in December but he isnt near Carbery and as much as id like to see Ben Healy be involved for Ireland a lot he is behind Carbery right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

If Healy/Frawley played v the Maori would they be still able to potentially transfer and play for Scotland/Australia?

by virtue of them actually being 10s rather than 15s playing 10 theyre better options

Ross Byrne - hugely underratted and has been shafted by his only real starts for ireland being against dominant england teams. probably should be back up to JS but the hype around his brother has meant he has somehow leapfrogged him in the ireland pecking order but not with leinster

Jack Carty - shafted also by getting the majority of the blame for the rwc loss against japan rather than the abysmal referring and decent japanese play. has been up and down since then but definitely has the ability to do a very good job at 10, would be interesting to see him playing with a better team tbh. has been overhyped this season most definitely but id have him as 3rd choice atm personally

Harry Byrne - hasn't done enough to warrant the hype around him imo. hes a natural 10 though so if he can get a run of meaningful/euro games for leinster he might come back into the ireland fold. would personally have him at around the same level as carbery atm

Ben Healy - deserves to be Munster's starting 10. showing his attacking game more this season and has always been able to control the game well from 10. massive boot too obviously but would like to see him be a bit more picky about which long range ones he goes for. should be in the ireland frame at this stage but his development has been massively stalled since carbery walks back into the team whenever hes not injured

Jack Crowley - could be above Ben Healy even but hes barely been seen due to the same problem of JC being a guaranteed starter.

one of BH or JC is surely going to move in the next year or two if carbery is blocking the way. obviously JC was being courted by La Rochelle and BH would walk into the scotland squad if he did go to glasgow. this persisting with carbery as the automatic starting 10 may mean munster could lose one or even two of their best prospects at 10 since ROG. thats not even mentioning bill johnston, JJ, Jake Flannery............

as i said in a previous post, i really dont think carbery has done much to earn a guaranteed place in the set up. and it is more or less guaranteed, he was poor in the summer, poor in the handful of games he had for munster at the start of the season and he walked straight into the squad without really deserving it (granted, he was okay against NZ)

Wow.

I thought we were badly stuck for out-halves, but now I see that we actually have five test quality 10s, none of whom can get a fair shake thanks to the Schmidt-Farrell-van Graan-Meeeeja conspiracy to keep Carbery in place at all costs.

Luckily we have the internet, otherwise I'd have continued to think that these guys are just very average players who've failed to take the opportunities that have come their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

The "Ross Byrne is so underrated" narrative has been pushed so hard at this stage that he has now become massively overrated

He's URC level. Does the job Leinster want from him, stands deep and distributes to better players outside him, but he shouldn't be in the conversation for Ireland squads

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

That may be true but from what I have seen he is head and shoulders ahead of Harry and Carbery isn't that much better than Ross. Carbery of course is a different type of player and when he is on song the possibilities are great. The problem is that he seems to forget the lyrics quite frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Ross Byrne has guided us through a number of Champions Cup games as well. Saying he’s URC standard is doing the guy a disservice. He is better than that. His ceiling would appear to be provincial level, so I’d agree he isn’t a Test level 10. But he’s better than you’re making him out to be.

I’ll never understand why some Leinster fans want to run the guy down given everything he has done for us. It’s bizarre.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

think thats a recent thing though. up until this season most were clamouring for him to be the default back up to JS without him doing much to actually earn it

That's in large part because during his, effectively, 2 year period out injured, none of the alternatives advanced their case considerably.

all of the other 10s you mentioned, along with jack crowley, are better options as back up 10s

I guess we just disagree.

But again, I go back to my original point; the "second coming / solution to all our problems" is overstating things.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Ross Byrne has started and won a ton of European games, including absolutely hockeying Toulouse in the RDS a couple of seasons ago. They scored a last minute try to make it look like even less of a hammering. Remember him nailing that conversion/penalty on one leg against Ulster, I think in the game Leavy got injured. He has performed many many times at European level.

Edit - I actually thought this was the Leinster not the Ireland thread, I don't really think he's the answer for Ireland, but he's a very good player.

Post edited by Interested Observer on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Also the best defensive 10 in Ireland behind Sexton which people are pretty happy to dismiss.

His goal kicking % is also top class.

If he wore red on Saturday it's a fair bet Munster would be in a European semi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Would Healy walk into the Scotland squad if he moved to Glasgow or Edinburgh? They have Finn Russell and Adam Hastings who are both pretty good.

Advertisement