Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Got a call this evening saying if I wanted to make my way to Sligo they might have a car there for me.

Eh... I'll wait until Monday at this rate.

This was the error that hopefully nobody else sees on their i4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

4 days later and no email reply yet from the dealer on why my order was moved to cancelled, if it was bmw or dealer who cancelled it and if I have a new order number!

Very simply queries that surely would only take a few mins to check and reply back with info.

If I no longer have an order accepted from bmw then my next concern is that I’ll be on the hook for the price increase regardless of what I was told previously by dealer about have a production slot.

The dealer told me over phone that as far as they were concerned I had an order and contract and that price shouldn’t increase for me…I simply dont trust much of what he says anymore based on lack of engagement and evasive answers.

Another thing, the longer it takes to actually get the car…as well as car price increase I’d say it’s quite likely we’ll see interest rate increase on loans too as ECB will surely increase rates in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,030 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

means nothing Audi cancelled 100s of q4 etron orders

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Audi, VW, Porsche and Hyundai cancelling loads of orders.

BMW doing the same here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭whippet

I got that error on my 330e about 3 months after buying it. To be fair roadside assistance had a new 520d on my driveway within a couple of hours (via Enterprise). Took it to Joe Duffy's (didn't buy from their) and apparently it was a software update that fixed it. Had the car back 48 hours after making the call

• Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Assuming it was enterprise they had that bmw left outside the gates in case you traveled the country for it.

Given how new the car is I'd be amazed if there's a SW update ready but who knows at this stage.

I'd have expected (as promised) that Kearys would look at the car first thing but nobody looked at it until lunchtime and after a few phone calls looking for info I was told it wouldn't be fixed today, they were not sure what the issue was.

Now I need to get to a rental place as they can't deliver a replacement.

All in all it's been a shoddy second rate experience.

Agreed yeah but not sure how they thought I was gonna get from Cork to Sligo on a Saturday evening.

ive had similar with Audi, generally if you go to BMW directly they will get the dealer to smarten up a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭carsfan2

This is what happened to me with BMW after hours.

Taxi and you send them the bill for all your expenses.

it’s a head wrecker in a car so new.

kearys seem really poor though in their approach to customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

the lads in the dealership will generally know eff all. They have to plug in & relay everything back to Germany. It’s the factory in Munich that will diagnose something like a drive train failure. I genuinely fell for you. The excitement of waiting for a new car & to have had the issues you’ve had, not good.

Car was on diagnostics in the garage yesterday but it's parked up out the back of the dealer all day today.

No diagnosis. I've called Kearys about 10 times now. Got one call back this morning with no information. Said I'd get a call with more info today but no call back and not answering phone.

Nobody there taking ownership and actively managing it or giving me timely updates or expectations of a resolution.

Really reluctant to do so but I think I may have to go legal next. Will be a painful process but this is absolutely torture and for the amount of money I've paid them it's absolutely appalling customer service.

My last ten cars been BMW but this I think may be the last one. It'll definitely be the last from Kearys.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You can't go legal yet. Contact BMW Ireland and let them take over. Action will likely follow. If not, write emails to both dealer and BMW Ireland with a reasonable deadline you want your car back fixed (you gotta give them at least a month I'd say but IANAL) and when that expires without a fixed car, you can demand a full refund or a replacement brand new car. Keep all receipts of your reasonable expenses / rental cars, you should expect to get fully reimbursed for those. Keep us updated, best of luck man, bad place to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭sk8board

From the issue arising on the evening of May 7th, to today, isn’t nearly enough reason to go legal about anything unfortunately.

if it’s a lemon they’ll buy it back - I know 2 people personally who had it done with a Porsche Panamera hybrid and a Hyundai Santa Fe hybrid.

edit: It’s likely they’ll get it back to you asap and then have you drive and watch for it again yourself, assuming it’s something they cant diagnose and remedy straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,038 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

By any chance when you got the error on the dash did you lock the car and leave it for a few minutes and then try start it again?

I had a "drive train error please contact dealership" twice in the space of three months the ID3 before I had the software updated and both times leaving it for 10 minutes removed the error.

Yeah I found that on Google while waiting for tow truck. Tried it but no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

I understand that this is a very frustrating experiance ylww but you have to keep your cool. I know you spent a lot of money here but remember at all times that:

1. The dealership sells cars this expensive all the time. You are not special to them.
    2. The dealership didn't create this problem they are just tasked with fixing it.
    3. The dealership are not thinking about this a fraction of how much you are.
    4. When people are doing their job like fixing cars they dont have time to answer the phones or emails.

Having said that you should expect a reasonable amount of communication, but at the same time you need to leave a reasonable amount of time between communications to allow the matter the progress.

You are not even close to going legal, it happened what two working days ago? Stay cool headed. Personally I wouldn't go running to BMW Ireland just yet, keep that powder dry. Just let them do their jobs. You have your loaner and you will get your car back soon enough, maybe a week who knows. problems with new cars are very common and the dealership are not going to jump up and down about it. Be the guy that the people in the dealership want to help, although you may feel otherwise inside, that is usually the fastest way to get what you are after.

Not saying you are getting the service you deserve at all but just dont panic, dont overreact. A BMW Workshop sees nothing but broken BMW's,

Thanks for the above few posts.

Easy to lose perspective when you're in the middle of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Here's the thing.

If I'm buying a 70 k car from a premium brand.

I would expect both the brand and dealership to have systems in place to ensure good communication if my new 70 k car needs a flatbed due to a breakdown.

Even if its just texts to my mobile to update on my cars status.

Its not the tech working on the car that answers or returns the call.

For me it's about the culture the brand and its dealerships create in terms of customer service.

Its just not there with Kearys or BMW on this evidence.

Lets see if they redeem themselves

• Advertisement

So I got some further info from dealer via email. Confirmed when my order was cancelled and that it was done by BMW (in February). A new order was created the day after and it’s at status 027-047 order bank and has a production number. He assured me that the car will be delivered but can’t say when and that the price is locked in. Have a screenshot of my new order details. Apparently they have 5 of their orders affected by this.

This is all fair enough, seems to be out out dealers control but If I had been given this clear info initially I wouldn’t have been getting so frustrated with them.

who does that though? Tesla seem to be better than most, my experience of various dealers across BMW, Audi and Landrover is that they dont and unless you involve the manufacturer you get nowhere fast.

Fitz's post is very good and gives some perspective.

I feel more would be done if the sales person had to take responsibility as point of contact for the first say 3 months post handover.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

They all can be hit and miss, we have had very poor service from Tesla and Audi, no issues yet with BMW but that could change.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Finally, proof that the “premium” branding means nothing based on the way bmw have been praised in the thread over the last few months.

It’s unacceptable for a so call “premium” dealer nowadays. The words “premium” have been watered down in recent years with bmw failures.

It’s nothing new with them at all.

Nothing proven, I have had no issues with either of my BMW. I still prefer premium brands, like Audi, BMW or Mercedes.

Some people prefer primark jeans, others wouldn't wear them but if I am paying over 50k for a car, I’d still go for the premium German brands rather than a Poundland version.

That’s just my opinion which I as you are entitled to.

i tend to be a fan of german cars as well but i am under no illusion that € for € i am getting less value versus the korean brands for example.

Its a bit like comparing a rolex submariner to say an omega seamaster, one costs 50-60% more than the other, but the reality is for most people that 50-60% is what you pay for brand recognition and for people to know you paid 50-60% extra its not actually any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

Hope that you get the BMW i4 sorted out soon man, regardless of the brand its not a nice experience after you get a new car

and hopefully its nothing major

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I love BMW but their service/aftercare is appalling, not fitting a "premium" brand. Maybe it's just in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Yes there are lots of issues accessing raw materials - I heard car manufacturers are buying up containers of washing machines/dryers just to get their microchips.

• Advertisement

Hope you get sorted soon and you enjoy the ultimate driving machine.

The car is beautiful.

Advertisement