Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Yeah I drove Donegal to Belfast and back on Saturday. Only about a 3rd is motorway, if even that.

Left home with 93%, got home 290km later with 26%. 77kWh car, same as Mad Lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Comer1

193 km on 20% is not possible. That's over 9km per 1%. Best I have gotten is 4km per 1% with an average of 3km per 1%. 58kwh ID.3

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Dunno, maybe 77kWh less prone to battery degradation. After 1.5y I'm sure I lost quite a few % of soc on the 58kWh. I'm going to do Cork Dublin cork next weeks so will see how I will fair. Def will need a charge on the way.

OOOPS, yeah I made a boo boo, was over 40% not 20. I took a pic and checked a min ago, I had charged to 80% and got down to 40% after 193 Kms, the 20% in my head was coming from the 80-100.

Anyway, not bad 193 Kms on 40%. non motorway driving.

This morning I had the misfortune of having to return to work and the Gom said 400 kms on 80% not long after hitting the M9 did it say 350 😁

Suppose range is something I don't think about much these days.

It would be highly unlikely in my opinion that you would notice 5-10% range loss, there could be any amount of variables causing this.

Only way to know is to run to empty and charge up to 100% and record the Kwh sent to the car and subtract around 10% due to charging inefficiencies. And the battery would have to be up around 20 Deg C to be able to store full Kwh and when you do your test it would need to be at the same battery temp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭robbie_63

Hi Folks,

What general range are you getting on the 58kw ID3?

Wife has the 52KW ID4 and only getting around 300-320km at full charge, fine for her as its mainly around town driving.

The few times I brought it to work (50km each way, Normal A Roads) the consumption seemed very high even with nothing on, and in B Mode.

From what I can see I would barely get 2 days driving out of the ID4 so just wondering if the ID3 is much better.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭VWPAT

Driving my ID life 58kw i'm getting 7 km per kw. Non motorway driving and keeping speed limit. Charged this morning to 80% anf gom shows 340. Interesting videos with Bjorn Niland checking degradation on 6 and 7yr old egolf . 6yr old 6.5% and 7 15%. Both charged to 100 most of time and having passive air cooling.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,502 ✭✭✭✭ted1

B mode is counter productive on national routes.

It was always dead slow to boot after the car was standing for a while. Happens every morning, on a bad day a light blue colour also appears:)

• Advertisement

On my 1.5 yo 30k km ID.3 I currently get an estimate of about 330km @ 80% and over last few weekends with good weather I was able to drive up 200km on 50-55% battery, mainly driving on national and local roads around Cork. Town driving in cork is not very efficient, effing hills everywhere.

I only drive in B mode and with auto hold off in slow traffic. Everywhere else in D mode with eco acc or whatever it called.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭robbie_63

Really? when I drive the ID4 I tend to have it in B mode the entire time as its so much easier to drive with one pedal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭sk8board

Now that we’re into better weather, how are people finding the difference in consumption between the crappiest coldest days of last winter versus the past fortnight?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭VWPAT

Personally i find a 25% improvement in summer weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Don't have an ID.3 anymore, but I worked on 4km per % in warmer weather and 3km per % in colder weather. Mine was the 58kWh and very little of my driving was on motorways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

So woke up at 4am to my ID.3 car alarm going off (family edt), thankfully nothing wrong and no one around so a false alarm, but kinda scratching my head as to what set it off. My security camera shows no one in/around the driveway - I know it was raining and maybe windy, cats might have been around too. Other than that the only slighty not normal thing was my panaramic roof was off so maybe the internal 'saw' some reflection from the glass there?

Basically grasping here, anyone a samilar experience? I read in the manual the 12v being low can cause this, my battery is at 45% it's been sat in the drive dooing nothing for about 3/4 days, before than a nip around town and back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Comer1

58kWh ID.3. In the summer, driving like Miss daisy, I calculate I could get 4km per percent so 400km range

Driving at the speed limit on 100kph and 80kph roads, 3.5km per percent

Driving hard and on motorways, 3km per percent.

Here's the kicker, you could take up to 100km off each of those for the cold winter months!

Also, I drive in B mode all the time. makes no noticeable difference to range but easier driving having to use the brake so little, I find the brakes a bit weak in D mode and I suppose it saves the brake pads too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

Happened us a few weeks ago too. Thought it was the fire alarm in the house initially! Not sure what set it off here either but cats are regular visitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Old diesel

93 kms on 20 percent would be 465 kms which sounds much more likely.

With 193 kms being a typo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭sk8board

this exact thing has happened us maybe 5 or 6 times in the past 14months. Calm day, no cars or anything, nothing on the car seats etc - it just decides to go off.

sometimes we don’t even hear it outside the window for those first few seconds, until we get the app alert and look out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭electricus

It happens 3 or 4 times in the first couple of months I had the car but not since. No idea what caused it but I read somewhere that it might be to do with the key fob being in range of the car (?)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

my battery is at 45% it's been sat in the drive dooing nothing for about 3/4 days, before than a nip around town and back.

Id be checking the 12V if the alarm is going off for no reason. It could be triggering because it sees the 12V going low and interpreting that as someone trying to disable the car.

Having the car idle for a few days can also cause it to go low. Charging the HV battery will charge the 12V too so that’s worth doing.

If it’s not the 12V and it keeps happening, it’s time to call the dealer.

just remembered… if the key fob is in range it can run down the 12v battery by repeatedly activating the lights. That happened to me with keys in my pocket watching TV!

what app alert? the connect ID app doesnt show me anything

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Forward momentum is desirable in an electric car. Driving in B mode, you're either giving juice to the motor or scrubbing off your forward momentum for regen. D mode in the ID cars allows you to keep forward momentum and only scrubs it as needed (when there's a car in front of you, for example). It's really very clever and I don't think there's any reason to ever use B mode, save perhaps when descending a long, steep hill. I don't believe it's more efficient.

I've started to notice this, but was afraid to ask as i assumed B was better by design, I dunno I just think D is better, B for crawling in traffic i do find handy, but otherwise I feel like im driving in honey.

Same here, I started off using B but now only use it in traffic and for slowing on motorway exits.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

In D, the car should slow itself on motorway exits if Eco Assist is turned on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Apparently it's more efficient to coast and not have to get back up to speed than it is to regen. Plus, when you're lifting off the accelerator you aren't necessarily always braking, sometimes you're just rolling along with slow traffic i.e city centre, village main street etc and just feathering the throttle to keep the car rolling and the brake is there if you need it.

Also it's complimented by that smart regen that will regen near junctions/roundabouts. Not 100% certain but I believe the radar will also smart regen coming up to traffic even if ACC isn't on?

Do other EVs generally have always on regen? I know some have paddles to change the level of regen but do any others just coast?

Post edited by DaveyDave on

Advertisement