Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pron

And now for something completely different ..

In spite of our echo-chamber .. there are very comparitively EVs visible on the roads in recent times. Commuting across Dublin twice a day, I'm lucky if I see a dozen BEVs either direction (Northside, just inside the M50, to Leopardstown and back). Either on the M50 route or on the cross-city options.

How does this bode for the targets to have a million or so EVs on the roads by the end of the decade?

Is this, ultimately, a good thing for used values over the next few years?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Strangely I'm in Donegal and am seeing lots of UK and NI reg electric vehicles, Tesla and Kia mostly, Toyota hybrids would outnumber them 20-1 though

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pron

Recent commute from Leopardstown home saw merely : 3 Teslas (all M3), 3 Leafs, 2 VW (one each id3 and id4) and two koreans (one parked) ... given that was down the N11 through town and up the Malahide Rd, and me on a motorbike, I probably encountered a few thousand cars total ... we have a long way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Any Leaf I've seen is parked in Letterkenny, actually suspect the ugly things don't move, I am seeing quite a few Tesla 3s, all UK reg and poor paintwork. Nordies have a big love of BMW 530e's.Reality is hybrids are the sellers, people have grasped that 40k plus for a full electric that's going to be obsolete in a few years, guessing there'll be a breakthrough in self charging, some sort of frictionless alternator that charges the battery as it drives leaving 50mile Leafs as useful as a chocolate teapot

• Registered Users Posts: 23,518 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I see close to a dozen leaving our estate of 110 houses each morning

Tesla M3, Volvo XC40, kona, Eniro, few different leafs, ID3s , ID4s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭wassie

The planning report p10 states:

The High-Power charge points provides 2 connector types CSS & CHAdeM0 suitable for European manufactured cars and Asian manufactured cars respectively. These hubs can provide up to 100km of driving range in as little as six minutes. These vehicles can be charged by using a charge point card by swiping it across the screen to stop & start charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I was just saying to the mrs , I can see real traction out there , on a quick shopping spin this morning , I saw loads , including my first BMW IX in the wild .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I’ve been seeing a surprising number of EV6 in recent weeks, for something so hard to get. Maybe they’re all being sold down the south east ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

In our estate of 19 houses there wasn’t one ev or hybrid 4 years ago now between full evs and phevs we have 7, 3 bevs and 4 phevs. Almost every car that has been changed in that period has gone electric or partially.

to be honest anyone in an urban setting with their own driveway that should be the only choice unless it’s a rare case of someone doing 400km plus daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,518 ✭✭✭✭ted1

My brother has one, if you ignore the grille they are lovely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Similar situation here, there's dozens of EVs on my estate now

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I live in a small Cul de Sac with 9 houses and there's my ID3 and a VW, BMW and Range Rover PHEV.

On my short commute to work I pass a Model 3, three Kona, two eNiro, an ID4 and Ioniq 5 every day.

Most evenings I also pass a EV6 and three different eNiros. About once a week there's a black Taycan parked outside a local insurance broker. There's also a white Model X floating around every now and then.

Oh and one of the local priests have a Zoe.

I live in a small town in Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

The Leaf is not a bad car and it is made by a well established car manufacturer. You’re right about the paintwork, very poor quality.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I see about 10 on the school run alone!

Dublin 11 Area. There’s 2 BEV on my road alone. 2 PHEV and 2 “self charging” hybrids. That’s a road of about 20 houses total!

They are definitely more prominent now than last year alone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Leaf is a good solid car.

Has its own flaws, particularly with the rigid rear axle and really bad app and infotainment system but it’s a good all rounder.

Tesla M3 is the new 320d or even 520d. They are everywhere you look nowadays. Paint quality and panel alignment seems to be hit and miss. I had a 2014 Model S with alignment gaps that would be noticeable to the genuine car person and I’ve had a 2020 M3 with virtually nothing wrong so it’s really hit and miss with the USA built cars. Nowadays they are built in China and it appears to be substantially better, if not perfect.

When your dealing with the cars daily, as some of the car detailers and PPF guys I know, they can see the difference.

Even the big boys still have issues. Brand new Porsche Taycans had to go back due to alarm sensor failures etc

BMW’s had charging failures on the 30e cars. The i4 plastic body panels are destroyed by cleaning products that don’t effect other cars. Lots of strange bugs in the EV world out there

We are still in the early days of EV relatively speaking and the big guys will have issues too but they will eventually sort themselves out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I see a lot of EVs but as an early adopter I’ve been subconsciously looking for them over the years, it’s an instinctive call out at this stage. In my estate of 60 there are just two BEVs and both on our driveway…

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Saw the EasyGo company car (or one of them) today, a nice Ioniq 5. One lucky employee gets to drive that around

It's nice to see charging providers using more EVs. I see a lot of ESB vans are now electric as well

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

He's a neighbour of mine!! Gives me a wave every time we pass each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭T-Bird

See a good few every day here in Sligo, mainly VWs. I was in Hamburg during paddies week and saw very few apart from 2 VW taxis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Here's a new one on me. Someone on a UK forum got to work to see a birds nest in the charge port compartment of a neighbouring company's van.

• Advertisement

How long was the van sitting there plugged in!? I'd hate to see the battery health on they t

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

There was a parked Leaf 6 months+ chatted about a few years back here somewhere. Battery was grand

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Ive seen birds build a nest in a few hours (well at least the starting of one!) So It doesnt have to be there very long.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Has anyone used a VendElectric charger?

They are Rolec chargers, and it looks like VendElectric is their method/app for paying to use Rolec chargers installed at various locations like shops/restaurants etc..

They have a big presence in the U.K. but not so much in Ireland.

Spotted this beauty sitting across the pavement last weekend

Apparently it's okay for some people, just not anyone who wants to charge an EV 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭joe1303l

It’s a traffic counter (rubber tubing filled with air) and not electrical cabling.

Usually installed by local authorities and likely to be there for 24-48hrs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Alkers

Does anyone see any value in the current second hand market at all?

I'm not after a leaf or a Zoe but will consider anything else - regular commute 25km each way (no charging), need 100km motorway range to visit parents each month (can granny charge there) but otherwise don't do many long trips at all. Considering second hand i3 or ioniq, can't see the value in spending more than that (high teens €) considering our range requirements and am not keen to buy new, particularly with current delays

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

All cars are expensive, new or second hand. No different for EVs. That said an i3 94Ah or Ioniq 28kWh will be fine for your use and around the high teens seems decent value compared say a new ID.3. Just looked it up and the base model is a shocking €45k on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Alkers

I get that but what I mean, the battery size tends to add significantly to the price of an EV and it doesn't seem worthwhile in our useage case to buy a large battery, which we will hardly avail of.

I am happy to spend money but considering the current market, what do people consider best buys?

I see new ioniq 5 is in the low 40k region which almost seems good value although it doesn't have a heat pump and we leave home at 7am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

That's not right Unkel. The ID3 DX is €39K. I'd imagine there's delivery charges on top of that as well of about €700.

Advertisement