Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home heating automation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Got my tado valves set up today and need to buy a few more for the rest of the rooms.

Has anyone signed up for the tado auto assist? Is it worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭deezell

My first observation is that there are only two zone valves, for CH presumably, so I'll assume HW is gravity connected, meaning it heats when ANY of the three controller zones call for heat, CH1, CH2 and/or HW. With such a system, if the controller has a gravity mode, the CH switched lives (SL) only open the Zone valves, the HW live is configured to go live for any of the three zone events, and this is used to fire the boiler.

Alternatively, if the zone valve relays are used to generate a separate Sl when each CH zone activates, the controller can be set in Pumped mode, HW SL goes live only for a HW event, and all three SLs can be combined to fire the boiler.

The significance of this is that Drayton wiser Kit3 does not have a Gravity mode, so CH lives have to be in place from the Zone valve relays, and may need to be wired in if not currently so.

The same is true for the tado wired and wireless set of 3 zone SLs, it can't be set to gravity mode, so CH SLs must come from the zone valve relays. For a single CH and HW Tado install, the new type ext kit controller can be wired to mimic gravity mode, as can the Nest heatlink receiver which also has volt free relay contacts for CH and HW.

Although he may not want to use a thermostat, he can't avoid it if he puts in TRVs, as they all have stats. In the case of tado, the zone for any TRV is opened and fired by its respective stat, but if all rads in that zone have TRVs, the wall stat is effectively only a relay switch. With a full TRV setup, you could revert to a single CH zone setup, both zone valves operated by the single stat receiver relay, or just latched open, or reconfigured as a one for CH and one for HW, assuming I'm correct that HW is gravity or open to boiler pump connection. A combi boiler would simplify things further, reducing your hardware to TRVs and a single stat/receiver relay.

I'm not convinced of the need to have wireless remote app control of HW cylinder stat temperature, and the expense and potential for failure of all these extra powered bits of hardware.The wired mechanical stat is sufficient. Who needs to vary the temperature of their hot tap supply? Set and forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Yes when I said he doesn't want stats I meant he doesn't get why no one has designed a system that removes the thermostats acting as the relay.

Basically just have the receivers connected to zone valves with back up physical buttons + TRVs

I don't agree, pointed out its nice to have a physical back up.

I'll go over with him an re clarify the HW situation.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Anyone having trouble with their Tado today . Mine is totally unresponsive ...

Your app or the stats themselves? Mine is fine,no gaps on the daily log which would be the case if there was a server outage, so you must have a local Internet problem, WiFi, router etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭ablelocks

55% off Tado 2x rad starter kit (amazon.de)

not sure if this is a mistake or not, but there's a 55% voucher on this bundle - not available on any other bundles

I already have the bridge for 1 thermostat and have 2 more thermostats to install - the bridge in this would be surplus wouldn't it but at that price the offer is still too good to pass up isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭ablelocks

thanks for that - amazon search results show another version at £72.99 and this one at £49 was only listed as a "newer version" on that product page - didn't show in my search results before i posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Fatemmet

Howdy all,

Wondering if anyone can help me figure this out.

I was chatting with tado support about what I might need to get my heating and hot water automated.

I current have a 2 zone and hot water eph system with wired thermostats.

They said that I will be able to control both zones with wired thermostats but not the HW.

Googling around, I read of people successfully wiring in the HW and 2 CH zones.

Is this correct or am I living in denial?

Happy to provide any amount of detail needed.

Thanks!

I think what they are saying is that they don't do a thermostat for HW, but they do facilitate Tado app timing of the HW zone. I'm assuming your EPH controller is a three zone device, and you may or may not have a mechanical HW cylinder thermostat.

Your simplest option is to replace the wired CH thermostats with Tado wired. This is a DIY job. You retain the EPH controller with the 2 CH zones set to Always On, as the Tados will now control temperature and timing. The timing of HW continues to be set by the EPH.

Alternatively, you can add the Tado extension kit in place of the EPH controller. This will have no function regarding the wired Tado stats, other than to supply an always on Live to them. It will also provide the timed live for the HW circuit, which will be available on the app. HW will continue to be set by the existing cylinder stat (if present). Theres the extra cost, and wiring of this is a little more involved for very little function other than app control of boost and timing.

One more final assumption I'm making is that you have three independent zones, with three zone valve, and not a gravity system where HW heats when the HW timer or either CH zone is on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Fatemmet

Thanks deezell, you are correct in all your assumptions. Good to know where I stand with it. I was thinking of going for tado or evohome and replacing the manual trvs over time. Seems like either direction I go will be more involved than I had initially hoped.

Install two wired thermostats for CH and you will immediately have a huge level of zonal time and temperature control. Very low cost, and a simple DIY Install. Later add a few TRVs , a DIY job if your rads already have manual TRV heads. Leave the timed HW to the existing EPH, if your cylinder doesn't have a HW stat, fit a simple mechanical one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,248 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

For Tado - am I right in thinking that the main wall sensor is not needed if I order the starter kit with just the TRVs?

I am moving and already have Tado (but didn't install it myself) - I never use the wall thermostat, just change the temperature in each room, either at the radiator or on my phone.

The wall thermostat is the device which is physically connected to the boiler to fire it when a TRV opens and looks for heat. Without the wall stat the TadoTRVs will just act like ordinary TRVs, closing when the room reaches set temperature and opening when room is below set, but the boiler won't fire unless they are using a wired stat as a wireless relay.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Guys , Having trouble with my tado again . I have a Smart Thermostat connected to a extension kit which controls a valve for hot water only . All connected via an Internet bridge V2 . Problem is that no mater what I do the boiler is constantly calling for a flame .

Any ideas ???

It depends on how it was wired up. Its possible that a loop was created in which the relay in the 'HW only valve' (which I assume is really a CH flow valve), is strapped to the ext kit live out, thereby locking the valve on and creating a permanent live into the boiler Switched Live (SL) for heat. Is there just a single valve? And is this meant to close off CH flow, but allow the boiler to fire when you want HW only? Are you using both HW and CH controls on the Tado app?

With only a single valve, you want the boiler to fire for either a HW or CH timed event, but the valve will only open for a CH event. With two channel timers this is normally achieved by having the timer in gravity mode. It this instance, the HW live out fires the boiler for either a HW or CH event, while the CH live out only opens the CH valve. As the older version of the ext kit does not have a Gravity mode switch, and the newer version requires a little tricky wiring loop to set up the two relays to simulate gravity mode, your problem may lie here.

Either ext. kit can operate the gravity mode logic if the relay built in to the valve is utilised, and wired as the only source of SL for CH to the boiler. You must not connect the CH live from the ext. kit directly to the boiler, as this will create a locked loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭coff66

Hey folks,

I am looking to pick the brains of the knowledgeable people within this thread.

We have a Daikin heat pump that is controlled by heatmiser thermostats for down stairs underfloor heating and upstairs radiators. Downstairs has two non programmable thermostats. The upstairs zone is controlled by a programmable thermostat in the master bedroom, I have attached pictures of all.

What I am wondering is, is there a simple way, without having to run wires etc, to add a thermostat to individual rooms rooms upstairs to better control heat in those rooms. We have a back bedroom, that is north facing where there is a noticeable difference in temperature even when the thermostat is up to temp in the master bedroom.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

As the master bedroom thermostat controls the call for heat for all upstairs rooms, the switched voltage to draw heat flow from the pump to the upstairs zone is located in this stat. If you were to install smart TRVs on the upstairs rooms, with a wireless receiver for these mounted next to and wired to the master room stat, any room with a smart TRVs could call the heat pump even if the master stat is up to temp. Ideally, you could replace this stat also with the TRV receiver, (which could be a Tado wired stat for example), and put a TRV in the master bedroom. This will allow rooms with a TRV to cut the heat flow when up to temp while other TRVs are calling for heat.

A simpler non smart solution is simply to balance the rads by restricting flow to the master bed, and front facing upstairs rooms by using the lockshield valves on the radiators. This will slow the rate of heat delivery to the front/master bedroom, allowing a longer period of heating to the other rooms. Its not a perfect solution, as you're trying to overheat the cold back room before the main stat is up to temp, so that this room, which cools quicker, will still have a reasonable temperature before the master bed stat kicks in again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

I'm threatening to get around to this soon your help didn't go to waste! Just a lot to do moving in and when winter was over it wasn't up the list!

I can confirm that the Hot water only heats on the Hot water zone, so it's not gravity fed.

From the schematics, the live and netural will be the same positions

H37XL termination 1,5,3 maps to WT734 termination 1,2,3 and then i put all the unused ones to terminal 4? As simple as that?

I think I've the confidence to give it a go after a few sucessfull small electrical victories around the house so far!

Now that it's summer i've mitigated the risk as we also have an immersion for hot water. The main distraction from this has been researching and ordering a solar PV system. Want to get the zoned heating correct for the BER rating requird for the grant as currently no thermostat at all in the house, only controled by TRV's and was marked down for this in the last BER.

Thanks deezell,

With regards to the either the wireless receiver or replacing the current thermostat with a stat for the smart TRV's I will likely need an electrician to ensure everything thing is down correctly?

Am I correct in saying that the heatmiser thermostat would be considered the 'dumbest' type of smart home heating automation!?

Your suggestion of limiting the flow to the other rooms while a logical work around, I think I would prefer to go the smart route.

I assume the smart TRV's have the individual thermostats built in to monitor the temperature per room and then use either suggest option to call for heat specifically to each room if needed?

Finally I assume replacing the heatmiser with the stat which is also a receiver for the TRV's would be the better option all told?

• Advertisement

Yes it would. It's a simple wiring swap to replace the master bed stat with a wired smart stat such as Tado or Netatmo wired. It's DIYable. That would be the first step, then smart TRVs on as many rads as you wish which will call this zone individually. Rooms with TRV's can be off while others heat, so a TRV in the master will cap its temperature while the back room TRV continues to call for heat. The only hurdle would be if the rooms don't already have manual TRVs, then the rad valves would need to be changed to accommodate them, which is a bit of a plumbing task.

Placing a smart stat in the master and also a smart TRV allows you to use the stat as the temperature measuring device for this room, the TRV acting as a wireless valve. Other room TRVs will use their built-in temperature sensors to open their flow, while at the same time using the Tado wired stat as the relay. If you opt for a TRV only plus receiver installation, such as if you use Drayton TRVs, the wireless receiver can be mounted in place of the Heatmiser stat, as I'm certain these are mains powered, so can provide power to the wireless receiver relay of the Drayton, or other brand TRV's.

Normally though receiver's would be wired close to the zone valves they control, an electrician would identify these, but putting it in place of the existing master bed stat simplifies wiring.

Finally, if you go down the wired thermostat route, it would a DIY task to replace the two underfloor wall stats with Tado wired. Tado is compatible with UFH control. The existing heatmiser DS1-L v2 you have are simple electronic stats with a digital display of temperature, and do not have floor level UFH sensor wiring which means that they can be replaced by any smart wired stat.

Replacing these with wired Tado or wireless receiver for wireless brands such as Hive or Drayton will give you full smart app control of all your house heating. For simple install, the Tado wired would be easiest. If you install the wired kit plus TRVs to the upstairs zone, you can easily install additional wired stats later to the UFH zones, your initial upstairs installation will already have the Internet bridge device and connection. Additional Tado wired stats can be bought on offer from time to time for less than €100.

Thanks again deezell, seriously detailed response which is really appreciated. From what you have said the Tado seems the easiest and best solution. Just in relation to knowing if the upstairs rads have manual TRV's how would I check that!?

It also sounds like replacing the heatmiser for the underfloor heating with the Tados would be a good idea as it would give much more control over the UFH and allow for increasing the temperature when returning from being away and having the house up to a comfortable temp by the time we would get home, unless I have totally misunderstood what you have said?

If the radiators only have small tap like valves that screw down several turns to close the rad, then you don't have TRVs. If they have a larger knob which rotates about only 3/4 of a turn, usually numbered 1 to 6, or |, ||, ||| and so on, that would be a TRV head which can be uncoupled, revealing the press pin type valve underneath.

STANDARD SCREW VALVE

TRV VALVE HEAD AND BODY

Changing the UFH stats for smart ones will give you most of the benefits of smart heating, but there are limitations to how fast UFH can respond to a call for heat, as there are also limitations to the speed and magnitude of peak output of heat pump sources, so something like advance turn on may not be as responsive as ordinary rads and an oil/gas boiler. (Automatic geolocation turn on is generally 5 -10 minutes from home, but you can manually turn on in advance of arriving in with a longer lead in).

Hi deezell or anybody else who can help. I just about managed to get my Hofmann 37xl removed. I'm installing a wiser based on your assistance a few months back, only getting to it now. I had expected per the Hoffman 37xl wiring diagram you shared that there'd be off signals also but I just seemed to use channels 1,3,5 and there are two wires going to the live and neutral. I'm thinking it would be quite easy now as no extra wires. 1,3,5 go onto 1,3,2 on the wiser and I'll put the earth on 4 to keep out of the way. One issue is that I think I'll have to install it upside down.

As the fuse is in the way and moving that seems like hassle!

Just wanted your vote of confidence in my wiring plan or anything to watch out for. I'll do it at weekend :-)

Thanks in advance, apologies for sideways photos, didn't know how to change

It looks our radiators have the TRV's with numbered knob which should make things a little easier.

Edited to add, just checked the master bedroom and it does not have a TRV. I assume this means the easiest option is now to wire a Tado stat to the heatmiser in the master bedroom and change the TRV's on the other rooms?

I know that the UFH heating wouldnt be as responsive as other systems in calling for heat and getting to temperature, it was more if we had been away for a week plus and had the heating turned down or off, we could use the Tado to turn it on a day or two in advance and have the ground floor at a comfortable temperature upon arrival home. Also would having the Tado smart stats for the UFH make it more efficient at maintaining temperature? The dial on the heatmiser is hard to be extremely accurate, so for instance looking to maintain 20c, should be much easier as the stat will be set to that and should it drop below this, the call for heat will begin immediately and be quicker to get back up to temp? The heatmiser dial is grand but might be maintaining slightly higher than necessary as hard to ensure the dial is bang in 20c.

Post edited by coff66 on

Correct in all respects. As the master bed has no TRV valve, it will continue to heat past its set temperature when other rooms with TRV's call for heat through the Tado. This effect can be minimised by turning down the manual valve (or the lockshield one at the other end if the rad), to reduce the flow to the master when other TRVS are open with less flow resistance. It would also be a minor task for a plumber to swap the manual for a TRV valve body, to enable full individual control of timing and temperature of each room.

The Tado stats don't just click on and off either side of set temperature like simple stats, which have a heating graph of over, under, over by as much as 2-3°. The Tado will note the progression of temperature rise or fall, and will modulate the on-off cycles to approach and maintain a steady temperature. This is particularly effective on slow response systems like UFH, where it will learn the rate of change, and also factor in outside temperature by reference to online weather data. Super smart. Any nerdos like myself out there who are amused by the theory of this type of control, here's a very easy essay on the subject of proportional, derivative, etc. temperature control. https://newton.ex.ac.uk/teaching/CDHW/Feedback/ControlTypes.html

You have my vote. Keep safe with the old mains, have a phase tester screwdriver to hand at all times, and get in the habit of tapping terminals before you work on them. Saved my bacon once, or more.

Use of Off connections would be rare, only in priority wiring situations.

Great, I thought something was odd with my wiring when no off connections. Good to get reassurance. Yeah I've got a phase tester and confirmed the isolation when I removed the h37xl yesterday. I think getting that box off the wall might turn out to be the hardest part of the work!

There's just two wall screws holding the baseplate down,disconnect wires from the old base, label them. pop the wall screws out and pull off the old base. Mount the new one in its place, reconnect wires and you're done. The spur fuse box remains.

• Advertisement

Thanks, it does look simple enough, which was a pleasant surprise. I'll keep you informed of my success!

Advertisement