Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So glad I don't live in Scandinavia.. anyone else suffer with SAD?

• 10-05-2022 10:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭

gee - weather was cat here yday - rain for most of the day... seriously affected my mood... twas v low.. etc..

different story today - sun shining at intervals.. just the odd shower,. life is easier for me when its not grey/raining..

anyone else find that the weather affects their mood?

I dunno how the Scandinavians cope with lack of daylight at times etc.. I'd be goosed..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭put_the_kettle_on

Do you ever get your vitamin D level checked ? Mine is always on the floor unless I take supplements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I am also glad I don't live in Scandinavia but for different reasons. The minimalist furniture, boxy houses, high tax and over-regulation would do my head in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭toyotatommy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I'm afraid there are no pictures of any sexy women on the internet, you'll have to buy a Swedish themed playboy or travel there yourself to confirm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

It might be worth dipping in and out for those alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,310 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I was only ever in Finland and it's a different daylight up there.

Felt like autumn in May.

I don't like that sharp dry cold either.

I definitely couldn't live up there anyway.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

I was in Sweden and Finland a few times, weather was cold, some snow.

I enjoyed the weather, you could wear a proper coat outdoors or on public transport and not be too hot like here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭sporina

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ah this perfect region where public services supposedly work.

But expensive and cold. €10 pints.

Fcuk that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Yes the weather affects my mood.Less so in summer, although endless over-hot days I don't love either, but they don't affect my mood so much.

I hate - loathe - the clock change in October.Hate it.I wish they would end it.It takes me several weeks to recover, and it jars for about 3 weeks afterwards, until my subconscious adjusts where the sunlight is to what hour it is.Genuinely.It is so depressing to me to see dark at 4pm.I am always happier around Dec 21st when I know the worst of the winter has passed, although I do find January to be a long cold depressing month.

Back when we had spare cash (pre kids, obviously!!), we used to go skiing in early February and to be honest it was such a lift.Cold and snowy but for the most part, there was sun and blue skies, and it was badly needed.

I find it is getting worse as it gets older.I do have one friend who has been diagnosed with SAD and is treated for it.

I couldn't live in the Nordic countries to be honest

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'd love to live in Sweden. The developer of my favourite games is based in Stockholm. I'd say it's class but I'd always be one of those immigrants who can't learn the language.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I don't suffer from SAD, but I do get annoyed when the seasons change. Not looking forward to the coming months, but it'll be Autumn again soon so the cooler weather will be coming back. Just a few months of suffering heat, hopefully we won't get any heatwaves this year.

Easy to warm up. Nearly impossible to cool down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭standardg60

I'm definitely Jeckyll and Hide Summer and Winter, my mood swings so low during the Winter months i wish hibernation was an option.

May be an urban myth but i thought the price of alcohol in Scandinavia was an attempt to counter the number of suicides which occurred during the prolonged darkness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭phormium

I firmly believe I'm meant to hibernate! I absolutely hate the dark evenings and cold days of winter, if I can't hibernate then I'd like at least to spend winters in a better climate. I feel like there is a giant switch on my back, sun shining it flicks to on, dull miserable day flicks to off.

Beautiful part of the world. Proper seasons, dark winters, amazing springs, glorious summers etc. Northern lights, fabulous houses (at a cost, admittedly) which can be flooded with light in season, triple glazed windows, stoves and so on

Healthy living, koselig, velvære, friluftsliv, lagom, hygge, you name it, they’ve got it

Plus, some of the most beautiful women imo. For example…. Synnøve Macody Lund

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

What kind of heat are you talking about? What ever it is, I'd agree with you.....I've worked in 45c+ ( Sudan ) and minus 20c ( Russia ) and what ever hope you had of escaping the cold, no chance with the heat. Not even with air-cons ( when you had them and they worked) and the air out if them is not good either.

I start to stop functioning around the 20c mark. Anything above that is increasing levels of torture. Most people the last week were driving around like normal. I had all the windows down. I just can't stand the heat. Sweaty, sticky, uncomfortable feeling and you might only be sitting down! Feck that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

They probably had the air conditioning on in their cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

I'm the opposite, I hate the grey dark cold rain and wind we get here, I excel in temperatures from mid teens and up, I've worked in 35 plus with no difficulties as long as I've water and sunglasses I'm happy out but happiest around the 22 degrees, the greyness we seem to get here just wears me down and leaves me with zero energy for life

• Advertisement

Just goes to show, I don't mind it. I can see without squinting, I'm not getting burned, no dangerous shines or reflections while driving (some roads are like glass to the hot weather). I've been in Orlando when it was close to 30c I think, but it was a different heat. The Irish heat is a strange one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭sporina

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I think I get the reverse version of SAD most people get. My mood gets lower in the summertime and picks up as we head in to the winter. I was in the Norwegian arctic for a week at the start of last winter. We had 4 hours of daylight when I was there and it was pretty cold. I didn't care in the slightest, I loved it. I seem to have a lot more energy in the winter months and do most of my travel around this time. I can't stand the heat. I start to struggle in anything above 15 C. I have multiple sclerosis and heat intolerance is quite common in people with MS. When you meet people in the summer and they're going on about how great the weather is I always feel under pressure to agree with them even when all I want to say is how much I dislike it.

Post edited by Nigel Fairservice on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

36C here today, was fantastic, nothing like shorts on and a tee shirt going to work. Such a change from last week with cold and rain and snow and dark days for months on end.

get out in the sun get some rays, the body always feels more relaxed and healthy with lots of vitamin D, from recent studies nude sunbathing and especially getting sun on the nads increases testosterone 100%…thank Gawd the back deck is not visible to anyone, must try it this year..:😀

Advertisement