Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inflation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭squigglestrebor

I agree of course everyone is different , but per person irish savings are still the highest theyve ever been. But yeah you are probably right as well, it always ends in tears! Haha. Its a bit controversial and sounds elitist but i reckon a very large % of the people who were forced out of work wouldnt have been earning much more than 350 a week so i dont think the economy will overly feel their lack of spending power.

Hahah fair enough, its still worth the 240 for me , although probably cos id be absolutely shocking at cutting my hair , if i could get it somewhat close to the barber i probably would.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭downtheroad

You work from a cafe for 2 or 3 hours using their light and heat, their furniture, their toilet facilities, and you buy one cup of coffee? They should charge you rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Been cutting mine at home all through Covid as well. It's very straight forward to do with a clippers. Haven't gone near a barbers in ages, not even a cost thing, it's just so handy to have a trim when I feel like it

• Registered Users Posts: 27,755 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I commuted on a 50cc for a decade, saved half the commuting time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

My input costs are up 24%, for most people the cost of living is only starting to feed through, the costs that business has endured will take time to feed through.

It will hopefully peak this year but it's not going to come down rapidly either.

Hard to know what it will lead to, if growth lags for a few years it will be a hard slog for a time. Growth in most of the economy will not match it.

Maybe people don't understand the impact of inflation anymore. They'll understand soon enough

Inflation will still be felt very hard by those with say 200k in savings or 2 million.

Do you understand what inflation is?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭combat14

this big message in caps from local chinese about chicken prices (knew i wasnt imagining it in super valu!):

TO OUR LOYALTY CUSTOMERS, UNFORTUNATELY DUE TO CHICKEN PRICES RISING MONTH OVER MONTH, WE ARE FORCED TO SLIGHTLY RAISE THE PRICE OF ONLY SOME CHICKEN DISHES. WE'RE TRIED TO KEEP THE INCREASED AS AFFORDABLE AS WE CAN.AND FINALLY THANKS YOU SO MUCH FOR SUPPORTING AND UNDERSTANDING 🙏🙏🙏

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Dingaan

They actually use real chicken in these places. Now that's a surprise!

Are you special?Do you think somebody with 200k in savings will be as effected as someone with not much savings. Do you understand what money is? I did economics as part of my undergrad so do understand what inflation is. Of course their savings value is going down. But with irish savings at its highest , most will ride out this period of inflation.

• Advertisement

I dont think you have the same concept of felt very hard as most people would.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

IMHO we'll be in recession once the kiddies go back to school in September. It will take until after Christmas for the officials to say we've completed a quarter without growth.

Incoming climate change targets on top of inflation on top of slowing economic growth... then the job losses start, local businesses such as cafes, pubs, restaurants and hotels are going to go under. Followed soon after by multinationals "restructuring". And we have over €200bln to pay pack too!

Any chap/lass who is footloose and fancy free with cop-on should be getting out of here while flights are still cheap. It's gonna be like the 80s all over again - only this time on steroids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Not a bad assumption, this christmass time food prices, toys heating and energy there will be a serious rethink and consumer sentiment will hit the floor.

I do laugh about the pubs and restaurants in Dublin especially 8.10 a pint and when the yanks and holiday makers stop comming due to rising costs they'll look for paddy Irish man to support them and look out for one another get shafted holidaying in Dublin City or go camping holiday to donegal and pay 4.20 for guinness and honest grateful service

• Registered Users Posts: 14,457 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Where will all these people go?

Little bit over the top tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

If you think about what a recession REALLY means for people and what they go through then we're half way through it already.

A recession is felt by people through lower incomes and/or job losses. We haven't reached the stage where there's mass layoffs yet but the lower incomes definitely because inflation at 8/9% is the same as a paycut.

The multi national CEOs will be watching each other very very closely now with these uncertain times. All it takes is one company to go on a tightening and jobs cut spree and then it will set off a trigger effect. It's a bull in a China shop situation.

Where will all which people go? Dole queue I'd imagine.

If you meant companies, automation and or relocation. MNCs have uprooted from here before to relocate to where labour costs and input costs are lower.

They're walking a tightrope at the moment.

I suspect he means where would people emigrating from here go.

Reality will slap hard when they land elsewhere.

If interest rates rise significantly then anglophone countries with the least amount of national debt would be attractive (or less undesirable) than here as those less indebted countries will need less tax raising measures to service their borrowing repayments.

Our debt to GDP is manageable problem for those Anglo countries is for most it's a tougher slog than here.

salaries should be incresaing, I dont see prices falling, even if inflation rate falls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The Stock market goes in a cycle,boom, bust, stocks go, s up more people buy stocks then something bad happens, energy crisis , war in Ukraine. As prices go up, workers demand pay rises, central banks control interest rates and the money supply. If you are over the age of 40 we have seen all this before. Inflation can be controlled to a certain extent but the reaction to high inflation usually causes a recession as firms find it harder to borrow money and interest rates rise.

Tech firms are facing more regulation from the EU and some company's like uber don't make much of a profit anyway

Gen z might find this a shock since they grew up with low interest rates and low rates of inflation they are too young to remember the 70s oil crisis

When people have to pay much higher energy bills they will cut back on buying luxury goods or maybe buy food in aldi or Tesco yellow pack non branded goods other country's have invested in green energy like solar power and are not so dependent on gas and diesel as Ireland is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭combat14

the price of hotels in dublin are so dear now i've almost stopped looking i'm sure many others are the same - donegal now that sounds like a great idea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Well if a recession does happen. Can see lots of wfh jobs being outsourced to different countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ShamanRing

I hope people do leave Ireland. It breaks me to see how bad the Irish are treated by their own government.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

out debt to GDP is quite literally based on a lie

Debt to GNI* is the more accurate metric for us that doesnt include all the offshoring of assets that MNCs do here. That figure is approx 106% (debt to GDP is 55%, heavily distorted)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

My advise to you is have a read over the green policies is destroying the economy thread. Might wake ya up to what's going on with energy in this country in general. Green energy is not the all and end all unfortunately.

France is considered greenest in the EU but only due to the addition of nuclear as a transitory source

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Xidu

Of course is going to happen

the whole world stopped production for 1 year, printed out trillions euros and usd throw to people.

now we all must face the consequences

increasing rate, money will be tight from government in order to control inflation

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Reading RTE and on about the ECB, they say things like "ECB may raise interest rates AS EARLY as July"

Like WTF? They should have been raised months ago and July is ages away. The ECB have thrown us under a bus by not raising rates yet. It's bad when the yanks are the sensible ones when it comes to monetary policy...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,053 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If you work for a big company its doable, but smaller employers just can not do it, prices are gone crazy for goods and you just cant pass everything on to the customers. Your average company is making less now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Totally agree with you. What they’re waiting for is some magical unicorn of inflation deceleration. Bizarre since we are presently in the perfect storm scenario for thunderous inflation what with Ukraine / post covid etc. Hence take a look at the Euro currency against US dollar today. 1.05 and sliding into oblivion. Trading at 1.15 only 5 weeks ago.

Heads should be rolling in the ECB , they’re the root to easing inflation but atm sitting on their hands.

Advertisement