Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Up until the radical left bit it actually seemed like a fairly genuine happy Mother’s Day to his supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,205 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

And there it is

Probably the most money spent in history for such a small thing - but I wonder if this admission will erode his attempt to secure Closing on the deal. He requires other peoples money to secure the buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Odd he says ultimately the ban didn’t stop Trump having a voice, it wasn’t to stop that despite what morons crowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,736 ✭✭✭✭Penn

But now Trump has already said he wouldn't come back to Twitter, so either he basically abandons Troth Ssencial and returns to Twitter, or he sticks to shouting into the empty void of his own platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

He's a man of principle, I could never see him saying one thing and doing something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Donald potentially doing something he openly said he wouldn't do? Surely not.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,836 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Partly true, Trump did himself no favours but if Covid hadn't come along I'm pretty certain that he would have been relected.

He handled Covid poorly and lost older voters.

Covid was the catalyst BLM and the Democrats used to stoke division and increase turnout in the younger and black voter.

Covid allowed greater mail in voting.

It was a combination of the above that sunk Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,836 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Musk has no interest in buying Twitter, its just a pump and dump they cried in unison.

Musk has no intention of letting Trump back on Twitter they cried in unison.

Well guess what ..

Elon just called Twitter's decision to ban Trump in January 2021 a "mistake."

"I do think it was not correct to ban Donald Trump, I think that was a mistake," Musk said. "I would reverse the perma-ban. ... But my opinion, and Jack Dorsey, I want to be clear, shares this opinion, is that we should not have perma-bans."

Dorsey following Musk's remarks that he does "agree" there shouldn't be permanent bans on Twitter users. "There are exceptions ... but generally permanent bans are a failure of ours and don't work," he said.

What way to spin this I wonder ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

"Guess what guys..."

What?

He hasn't bought Twitter or let Trump back on. Come back when he's proven he isn't all talk. You're just coming across as desperate at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,716 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

"Covid was the catalyst BLM and the Democrats used to stoke division and increase turnout in the younger and black voter."

Nonsense. Trump was a racist. Stephen Miller was a racist. That kind of motivated minorities.

Don't forget, he got impeached too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,205 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Covid was the catalyst BLM and the Democrats used to stoke division and increase turnout in the younger and black voter.

Sure I guess they stoked the fire that Trump had poured gasoline all over. It’s not like Trump had spent the past 4 years pledging to only accept election results if he wins etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

You must be very proud of your golden idol. What a win. He did it!!! He (maybe) beat the libtards. All it took was a multi billionaire to (maybe) spend billions to buy twitter to put him back on. Genius. What a true American hero. How does he do it!!!!???!!! He IS amazing.

If he is back on twitter then, yes, I will say I was wrong. Absolutely. I have no problems admitting that. I won't bury my head in the sand and ignore every question about my thoughts on a traitorous, homophobic, racist, sexist,terrorist-supporting, dictator-supporting, america-hating, insurrection-instigating, lying, cheating, hustling sexual predator. No problem.

But anyway.

I mentioned previously that I am genuinely interested to see how this goes. Politics aside. Twitter or Facebook or YouTube or any other social media platform needs moderation. Simply to cover their assess. Trump and his... Fans have already been proven to use social media and other platforms to spread known lies. I think we can ALL agree on that, yes? And so have people across the spectrum. But these platforms suspend and ban these people, not for some ideal, but simply to protect themselves.

Let's say Musk fulfills his promise of zero moderation (which he had already backed away from). But let's say he removes all moderation. What happens? Twitter suddenly becomes a platform for lies. From all directions. Now you have a platform that is SUPPORTING known lies. Which means that they are liable. Which means they are in the firing line for law suits.

I think it is a VERY bad business decision. If not handled correctly it will turn into a pariah. The next 4chan or 8chan or whatever and all it takes is another competitor and people will flock to that. Remember Bebo? Remember MySpace? Hell, remember Facebook? Lol.

As I said, Musk has already quantified and pulled back from his zero moderation promise. Assuming that trump is let back onto Twitter now that someone else bought it for him, what do you think will happen when he says something libelous? When Twitter have to cover their assess and remove the tweet? How soon before he and his... Fans round on twitter (again) like the armed and dangerous snowflakes they are?

As I said, I am curious to see how this unfolds over the next couple of years. Assuming everything goes ahead.

So no spin. If he goes back to Twitter then I was wrong. But what will happen to Twitter if it just turns into hate speech? How quickly will it loose its shine? How soon before the top Twitter celebrities realise that their image is being tarnished by being associated with a platform of hate and they move? What will happen when all the top hitters take all their followers and revenue streams elsewhere?

This may not happen but, without moderation, it will descend into hate from all directions. Very strange business decision if he goes through with it

sometimes being off twitter isn't a bad thing for trump. Imagine the back pedalling...

Post edited by everlast75 on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,312 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

@TheIrishGrover Let's say Musk fulfills his promise of zero moderation (which he had already backed away from). But let's say he removes all moderation. What happens?

Couldn't give a toss about Twitter, or Trump, or Musk, and it's quite telling that his mindless entourage are so enraptured about this non-event. But I'd actually like to see a completely unmoderated Twitter, and watch it descend into something like 4Chan or an even worse version of that. It'd be quite funny to watch the meltdown, the excuses, and the subsequent rollbacks.

As for Trump getting kicked off of the platform, it could hardly be any surprise that a guy who spread seditious lies about a "stolen election", which was instrumental in the build up to the capitol riots, would have his right to post revoked.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,649 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I wonder is Musk planning an attempted presidential run?

He has seen Republicans like going for celebrities and he is getting all the Trump diehards to cheer his every move?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,539 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Can't be POTUS. He was born in South Africa. I think it's just blatant share price manipulation, he should be quiet about his plans are during an acquisition.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,736 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Ineligible for running for President, wasn't born in America.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,442 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

being south african born to non-us parents might make that a tad difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,649 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Which is a pity for the GQP. The ULTIMATE African American: A white billionaire!!

• Advertisement

Well, I only use twitter when trying to get Glastonbury tickets and their lineup announcements. So, also, could really give a sh*t in that it won't affect me. I genuinely find this interesting from a business POV though. I'm no business rocket surgeon so my thoughts above may be WAY off. But yeah, I think, yeah, without moderation/self protection from ALL sides, it will leave itself open for all kinds of liability. Currently Social Media platforms are protecting themselves by saying that these posts violate their policies (And decide on what actions they want to take based on perceived impact of their action or inaction to their company). They can say "Hey, we don't support their lies or threats or whatever. It is against our policy. Look". If Twitter rebrands itself as a 100% free-speech platform (Which, as I said, Musk is already stepping back from) then they cannot use this reason. They will be profiting from lies and threats etc (As well as truth and facts. It's not ALL lies). So they WILL be liable (In my legally uneducated opinion of course). Twitter already has a bad image that is degrading every day. Remember when it started getting popular? When celebrities and "celebrities" were using it to communicate with fans? How positive it seemed to be? Now the general public opinion is more negative than positive (This goes for ALL SM platforms of course).

It won't wake long for competition to emerge with a shiny new (initially) positive image to tempt away all the big hitters. So 100000% politics aside, I think the whole zero moderation angle is a bad business decision. THAT of course will not happen (For all kinds of reasons, not least international law). We know that. But even his initial statements was a mistake if he GENUINELY is going to go ahead with the purchase. Any caveat like "Well, when I mean zero moderation I of course don't mean ZERO" will be seen as censorship and capitulation.

I'm still not convinced it will happen. I still believe it is market manipulation which will get him (Musk) into a lot of trouble. I will only believe it will happen WHEN it happens and I will only believe trump will be reinstated WHEN he is reinstated. And then I will admit I was incorrect. No skin off my nose. I can (And do) admit when I am wrong.

As the Chinese proverb goes: May you live in interesting times.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It should also be pointed out that he's saying that "Permanent" bans aren't a good thing , not all bans just permanent ones.

However all of this is largely moot as it's looking less and less likely that the deal will actually happen.

Market confidence that the deal goes through as agreed has dropped sharply.

The rest of the tech stocks are taking a bit of a battering in recent weeks , but Twitter has avoided those because of the Musk offer so far.

But , the volume of short deals on the stock has increased sharply in the last few days , which means the markets think that the Twitter stock price is going to drop in line with the rest of the Market , meaning they think the deal isn't going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Detritus70

So a real billionaire had to buy Twitter and hand Trump back his rattle. We'll see what happens, @MisterAnarchy my bet still stands, if Trump really returns to Twitter, I will donate €100 to a charity of your choice. Will you donate to one of my choice if he doesn't?

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

Well, Trump's approval rating went up when people couldn't hear from him, so by that logic, I'd be happy for him to get his account back.

He'll scupper his own re-election chances.... again

Guessing he'd need to campaign for constitutional changes to allow it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

• Registered Users Posts: 15,651 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Oh oh, Seems like Musk isn't quite the saviour of Trump return to Twitter as the like of Mister would have us believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement